earliest you were giving a cabin assignment

mysaddlebred000

I booked my first guarantee. We usually book suites but I'm to the point where I don't think it is worth the cost anymore. Since we are elite, the perks are the same except for breakfast and a larger cabin but we end up staying in our cabin more and don't get out to see the ship. My wife even said she is starting to think they are a waste of money and that is all I needed to downsize! She suggested we try to book the Sanctuary instead although I am not a big fan but if it saves me money, I'm all for it.

Maybe I am just getting tired of cruising, but I decided to do a suite guarantee for fun and see what I get. I did a WS guarantee since the price wasn't much higher than mini's. We have a number of friends that are joining us so we won't have time to spend in our cabin so we don't care what cabin it is. Will be happy with any of them.

I was just wondering what was the earliest they picked one for you. I have read that it can be at final payment, the day before or even at port. Does it ever happen months ahead? Do they contact your TA if you used one or do you have to look on your personalizer.

I booked my first guarantee. We usually book suites but I'm to the point where I don't think it is worth the cost anymore. Since we are elite, the perks are the same except for breakfast and a larger cabin but we end up staying in our cabin more and don't get out to see the ship. My wife even said she is starting to think they are a waste of money and that is all I needed to downsize! She suggested we try to book the Sanctuary instead although I am not a big fan but if it saves me money, I'm all for it.

Maybe I am just getting tired of cruising, but I decided to do a suite guarantee for fun and see what I get. I did a WS guarantee since the price wasn't much higher than mini's. We have a number of friends that are joining us so we won't have time to spend in our cabin so we don't care what cabin it is. Will be happy with any of them.

I was just wondering what was the earliest they picked one for you. I have read that it can be at final payment, the day before or even at port. Does it ever happen months ahead? Do they contact your TA if you used one or do you have to look on your personalizer.

The earliest was 48 hours after booking. They contact your TA at the same time they post it to the personalizer. I've always seen mine first, but then again, I "live" on my personalizer.

The earliest we have received a cabin assigned with a GTY booking has been within an hour of the booking being made.

Our GTY was not for a WS, and a GTY in that category may not be assigned until close to sailing.

Edited by caribill

Thanks for the replies.

I never knew they assigned them so early. Were those cabins in categories that had many cabins?

I have always researched cabins and wanted a specific suite so I have mixed feelings about booking this way. As I said, I think I need to give up the expensive cabins since we feel they aren't worth it anymore and that would allow us to do more traveling.

I thought I was ok with not knowing but it is starting to get to my wife and she is starting to drive me nuts. She looks several times a day and said all the ws are marked sold and there are only three other suites available. And this cruise is not until next spring. I almost feel like booking a mini instead.

One other question. Can you have two cabins booked with FCC's on the same cruise? And then pick the one you want just before final payment?

Our earliest assignment was about six months before the cruise. We booked in October for a late July cruise. We ended up switching to a higher category of cabin when Princess had a sale (from an inside to an obstructed view), so we did not end up with the first assigned cabin.

Thanks for the replies.

I never knew they assigned them so early. Were those cabins in categories that had many cabins?

I have always researched cabins and wanted a specific suite so I have mixed feelings about booking this way. As I said, I think I need to give up the expensive cabins since we feel they aren't worth it anymore and that would allow us to do more traveling.

I thought I was ok with not knowing but it is starting to get to my wife and she is starting to drive me nuts. She looks several times a day and said all the ws are marked sold and there are only three other suites available. And this cruise is not until next spring. I almost feel like booking a mini instead.

One other question. Can you have two cabins booked with FCC's on the same cruise? And then pick the one you want just before final payment?

Probably only if you and your wife book as singles in 2 different cabins. The system will not let you both book 2 cabins. Can you imagine if everyone tried to do that, booking several cabins to see which one is the best?? :rolleyes:

If you want a full suite, you should just book it. Hoping for an upgrade is probably not going to happen. Most likely someone in the highest category of mini-suite would be upgraded to a full suite if there were any available. It's the balcony vs OV thing. Just because a full suite is available, doesn't mean Princess is going to fill it either. They have sailed many times with empty suites.

Probably only if you and your wife book as singles in 2 different cabins. The system will not let you both book 2 cabins. Can you imagine if everyone tried to do that, booking several cabins to see which one is the best?? :rolleyes:

If you want a full suite, you should just book it. Hoping for an upgrade is probably not going to happen. Most likely someone in the highest category of mini-suite would be upgraded to a full suite if there were any available. It's the balcony vs OV thing. Just because a full suite is available, doesn't mean Princess is going to fill it either. They have sailed many times with empty suites.

I just asked the first question because it has been posted here that each cabin is booked 8 times before it sails. That seems like a lot to me but if people were allowed to do this, that would make more sense why the number is so high.

I think you misunderstood what I said. We have decided to book mini's from now on so we really don't want a suite - am tired of paying the big bucks for them but this guarantee was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up. I looked right after I booked it and the deal was gone so not sure if it was a mistake or if only so many were offered. I understand that when they assign you a mini suite guarantee that there are many other ones left for others to book but there are not that many suites. Since we don't know how many ws guarantees were taken and there are only five suites left, I would think they would have to hold a few back because there is nothing above a suite to assign people to.

We will be happy with a ws (I think - have always had a balcony) especially for this price. So, do you think they will hold the less desirable ws's for the guarantees?

I am just curious how they work them.

We have booked guarantees on our last three cruises with Princess. We generally get notified of our room assignment about 30 days prior to sailing. However, for our upcoming sailing we received our room assignment (an upgrade from an obstructed OV to a balcony) over 45 days out.

I thought I was ok with not knowing but it is starting to get to my wife and she is starting to drive me nuts. She looks several times a day ... And this cruise is not until next spring.

Considering that the cabin assignment may not come until next spring, DW may need to find a new hobby.

Maybe I misunderstand the question, but I booked my cruise in October (May 17th sailing) and got my cabin assignment while my TA was on the phone with Princess.

In fact, I got to choose my cabin.

Edited by BigWI

Maybe I misunderstand the question, but I booked my cruise in October (May 17th sailing) and got my cabin assignment while my TA was on the phone with Princess.

In fact, I got to choose my cabin.

BigWI, many cruisers choose to book a "guarantee" stateroom which guarantees them a category (interior, oceanview, balcony, etc.) but not a specific room. Doing this can get the cruiser a cheaper rate and sometimes (but not usually) an upgrade into a higher category. For those that aren't concerned about specific location, it can be a great deal.

Thanks for explaining that Suzan.

Yes, I have a suite guarantee and have never booked that way so I have many questions. My TA couldn't answer my questions and neither could Princess - big surprise. I wish someone would post that has done a suite guarantee before.

caribill - I agree that she needs a new hobby. If she keeps it up, I may just book something although I am kind of excited to see what we get - kind of like gambling. I think I may book a cruise where she needs to do a lot of research - that will get her off my back.:D

BigWI, many cruisers choose to book a "guarantee" stateroom which guarantees them a category (interior, oceanview, balcony, etc.) but not a specific room. Doing this can get the cruiser a cheaper rate and sometimes (but not usually) an upgrade into a higher category. For those that aren't concerned about specific location, it can be a great deal.

The price paid for a GTY is exactly the same for a selected cabin in the same category.

The only time a GTY would be cheaper is if there are no cabins to be assigned in the category booked and it would cost more to select a cabin in a higher category.

I just asked the first question because it has been posted here that each cabin is booked 8 times before it sails. That seems like a lot to me but if people were allowed to do this, that would make more sense why the number is so high.

I didn't believe it when I first read it and I still don't. :rolleyes:

I was right, I didn't understand :o

Thanks for the explanation, good to know for future cruises if we enjoy this one enough.

I didn't believe it when I first read it and I still don't. :rolleyes:

I really can't believe it either. We have been on many large roll calls where maybe two couples cancel. I have looked at available cabins many times and they don't seem to be sold and then reapper.

I remember that post and I don't think anyone questioed her remark.