Alaska question for anyone who has been

Marie50

You will see glaciers anytime during the summer cruise season from May to September. We've been in May--great weather and lots of snow still around, and August--more rain, little snow except on the peaks and lots of beautiful waterfalls. My preference would be early to mid June as you will have the longest daylight hours for sightseeing, but you will have a great time and see amazing sights whenever you choose to go. Be sure to choose a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay--it's spectacular!

We've been 3 times now, each time in late June through mid July and have had a mixed bag of weather. Once, people were up on top deck at Glacier bay wearing bikinis:D However, the previous week we were told the weather was too iffy to take the ships into Glacier Bay:rolleyes:

We know people who've experienced great wether in may and sept and have known others who have had horrible weather

When is the best time to go on the Alaska cruise to be able to see glaciers in the National Park. Trying to plan out first Alaska cruise. Thanks

Glacier Bay is accessible the ENTIRE cruise season. If glaciers are your priority, then stack up your opportunities to be able to see them. More equals more. :)

The best chances for good weather are in July and August. In May, June, September the chances of cooler or wet weather and low visibility are higher.

It's interesting that you include June as a month to avoid - I'm just curious as to where you got that information?

I've been researching Alaska for over a year now and everything I've read has stated that June is the best bet for weather - although always with the caveat that weather in Alaska is always unpredictable. June is also highly recommended due to the solstice - providing the longest daylight hours of the whole season.

As the summer wears on, so does the chance for rain - especially late July, August and September. This can easily be researched on any Alaska website.

I've also read that the mosquitoes are worse in June and there is less chance of seeing grizzlies and other wildlife due to the Salmon run being later in the season - so if those things are top on anyone's bucket list - taking priority over weather - then June would not be a good month to visit.

However, July and August have the most tourists and families traveling once school is out. May and September are considered the "shoulder season" and a lot of folks prefer to travel during this time to avoid the crowds although access to some points in the interior (Denali National Park, for example) is limited in May and some roads do not even open until mid June.

My advice to the OP is to research as much as possible and then make the decision based on his or her priorities.

It's interesting that you include June as a month to avoid - I'm just curious as to where you got that information?

I've been researching Alaska for over a year now and everything I've read has stated that June is the best bet for weather - although always with the caveat that weather in Alaska is always unpredictable. June is also highly recommended due to the solstice - providing the longest daylight hours of the whole season.

As the summer wears on, so does the chance for rain - especially late July, August and September. This can easily be researched on any Alaska website.

I've also read that the mosquitoes are worse in June and there is less chance of seeing grizzlies and other wildlife due to the Salmon run being later in the season - so if those things are top on anyone's bucket list - taking priority over weather - then June would not be a good month to visit.

However, July and August have the most tourists and families traveling once school is out. May and September are considered the "shoulder season" and a lot of folks prefer to travel during this time to avoid the crowds although access to some points in the interior (Denali National Park, for example) is limited in May and some roads do not even open until mid June.

My advice to the OP is to research as much as possible and then make the decision based on his or her priorities.

This information is a little skewed. Mid May and later can be excellent weather. As noted there is no way to predict. The comments above about the wildlife are off. Not true with the "other wildlife", the entire season has the opportunities for marine wildlife that is plentiful. For cruisers, As for "grizzlies" these are pure chance, unless you get to Pack Creek. All the tours, running July/August/Sept on the Inside passage are for black bears. Anan can have brown sightings, but again, pure chance. I have an excellent track record of seeing grizzlies in May in the Yukon- requires time and being in the right place with a rental car. Denali Park- is loaded with browns, the entire cruise season as well.

The mosquitos are usually not the issue inside passage. Can be significant at Wonder Lake as an example. I've been hit hard in Fairbanks as well, this goes right up until mid August.

The "most tourists" isn't accurate. All the cruiselines are on their full schedules by mid May through mid Sept. Alaska isn't overloaded with kids either. As an example, Sept is loaded with visitors mainland Alaska, enjoying Denali Park and the fall colors, and chance of aurora.

This information is a little skewed. Mid May and later can be excellent weather. As noted there is no way to predict. The comments above about the wildlife are off. Not true with the "other wildlife", the entire season has the opportunities for marine wildlife that is plentiful. For cruisers, As for "grizzlies" these are pure chance, unless you get to Pack Creek. All the tours, running July/August/Sept on the Inside passage are for black bears. Anan can have brown sightings, but again, pure chance. I have an excellent track record of seeing grizzlies in May in the Yukon- requires time and being in the right place with a rental car. Denali Park- is loaded with browns, the entire cruise season as well.

The mosquitos are usually not the issue inside passage. Can be significant at Wonder Lake as an example. I've been hit hard in Fairbanks as well, this goes right up until mid August.

The "most tourists" isn't accurate. All the cruiselines are on their full schedules by mid May through mid Sept. Alaska isn't overloaded with kids either. As an example, Sept is loaded with visitors mainland Alaska, enjoying Denali Park and the fall colors, and chance of aurora.

I appreciate the feedback. Most of the information I garnered was from TravelAlaska.com - which claims to be the State's official guide (I don't know if that is true or not). Perhaps the info they give is more general and less specific? I have not been to Alaska as of yet (my metier is the Caribbean) so I appreciate your vast knowledge. I am happy to see that the mosquitoes are not too bad in June and that we may be able to see some wildlife.:)

I appreciate the feedback. Most of the information I garnered was from TravelAlaska.com - which claims to be the State's official guide (I don't know if that is true or not). Perhaps the info they give is more general and less specific? I have not been to Alaska as of yet (my metier is the Caribbean) so I appreciate your vast knowledge. I am happy to see that the mosquitoes are not too bad in June and that we may be able to see some wildlife.:)

I did not say the mosquitos were not bad in June, they certainly can be. My point is they are bad until mid August, depending on the area.

I do find that some who do not reply from first hand experience, sometimes don't see the details. In Alaska, this is significant. There can be more to "giving advice" than repeating bits and pieces that are too general.

When is the best time to go on the Alaska cruise to be able to see glaciers in the National Park. Trying to plan out first Alaska cruise. Thanks

There are many national parks here with glaciers: Glacier Bay, Kenai Fjords, Wrangell-St. Elias, etc. Just did a whale watch trip from Seward yesterday and the Bear Glacier was visible from a distance.

Glaciers are visible throughout the summer season (and throughout the year). The picture below is in Prince William Sound late last September on a trip from Whittier.

Edited by Chenega

Budget Queen has been to Alaska more than the rest of us put together, so she definitely has more of chance to have accurate information.

I've only been twice (once the first week of May and once the end of August). Cruise only in May we had rain 6 of 7 days. Didn't notice any mosquitos, even in the rain forest in Sitka. Maybe they can't fly well in the rain.

The 2nd trip was a cruisetour to the Yukon and more interior Alaska. We had 2 days of drizzle and 1 night of pouring rain in the Yukon. But the mosquitos were out in force.

It has been my bad luck to get rain, NOT MATTER WHERE I TRAVEL or when. It just seems to follow me.

I may be in the minority, but I let the ship/itinerary/price determine when I travel. Now I have not considered Alaska in February, nor would I, as BQ has.

But you can't let weather dictate your travel.

As others have said, the weather's just a gamble, whenever you go. I've been twice in early/mid July and once in late August/early September. The main difference was that the salmon were running in August/September, and there was less snow on my hikes.

If glaciers are your priority, try to book a cruise that goes to Hubbard. (It would have to be a northbound or southboud cruise) That was my favorite. Also, you can check out Mendenhall out of Juneau. If you take a northbound or southboud cruise that ends in Seward, go to Exit Glacier and--if you're physcally able--do the Harding Ice Field trail. Amazing.

We've also been twice, both times from mid to late August and had magnificent weather both times. The only rain we had were on our sea days. But who really knows. On our last cruise, the crew told us that the week before it rained EVERY single day, nonstop.

We always try and cruise late August. many bargains in the shops as they are clearing merchandise for the end of the season, and just zillions of salmon all over the place. Well, not zillions but you get the point. A LOT.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I went mid-June last year. One week cruising and one week on land. There was a heatwave and VERY little rain! It was even hot and sunny in Ketchikan. Looking out at the pool area on the ship you would have thought we were on a Carribean (sp?) cruise with the people lounging around in bathing suits!! It rained the following two weeks after we returned. I told my husband I planned for the good weather! LOL

Going again this year but I'm going to wait until the last minute to pack and check the extended forecast for where we are going. I packed for three seasons last year and ended up only needing for one - SUMMER!

There were no mosquitos during the cruise and I really didn't notice many on our land road trip. Maybe we were just lucky.

you may consider consulting an online weather almanac. this would let you see years of weather data.. see when things have been historically "good".

last year it snowed and snowed in mid-May. right now, days are sunny and in the 60s (at least in anchorage).