Jan. 23 - March 13, 2015 Maasdam 49 Days Amazon and Carnaval Cruise

Howasaur

Hi casamariposa How was Rio did you take in the Carnaval

No, I didn't take in Carnaval, nor did my travel companions whom I sailed with twice before. Instead, I purchased a DVD from Amazon of the 2009 Carnaval for something like $4.98, saved a bundle of money, was bored after seeing two samba schools, and spent a lovely evening on board with hundreds of others who didn't choose to go. To each his/her own!!! Rio was packed. There were 11 ships in port for Carnaval. I chose to take an excursion out to Petropolis the first day in port. It was great to see the countryside and enjoy a fabulous Brazilian feast. On the second day, the lines to take the tram up the mountainside to see the statue of Christ were very long because everyone from Brazil, it seemed, had come for Carnaval. But, hey, that's what it's all about. I did learn from lots of people who did go to Carnaval (who stumbled into the Lido Buffet at 7:00 a.m.) is that those who purchased tickets through HAL were in a secured area at the parade, as was their bus, which kept going back and forth to the ship for people who were Carnavaled out. Several who purchased from some sites on-line, had to walk several blocks and stand on a street corner at 3:00 a.m. waiting for and hoping for their bus back. I did discover something wonderful about Rio, however. If you're over 65 you can "pee for free" in the public toilets on Copacabana Beach! I kept shoving my 2 reals at the attendant per the sign, and she kept pushing it back. Her friend pointed to "65" on the sign, and I got the message without knowing Portugese. On Ash Wednesday, a group of us sat on deck chairs and watched all the magnificent floats being pulled right past the ship to their warehouse sites! We all had a ball on this trip. (I did go to the Boi Bumba in Parintins and loved it.)

Thank-you casamariposa for all this information.> Did you happen to remember what the cost was through Hal. My wife will really ejoy reading you comments

It's a great cruise. You and your wife should have a great time. If I recall, the cost for a ticket from HAL's Shore Excursion was almost $600. They sold out (many people had purchaed tickets through HAL on-line before they sailed out) but were able to get a few more and THEY sold out. I'd say an equal number of people found tickets on line. I'd suggest you go into the roll call for your cruise. At this point in time I'm sure a lot of the passengers who will be with you on the cruise are talking about Carnaval tickets. That is what happened when I was preparing for my cruise in January 2013. You'll get a lot of information that way. By the way, I don't know what the cost of Boi Bumba tickets (for the show in Parintins) is now. It was $99 when I went to see it. It was great fun. The auditorium held only the Maasdam passengers.

Thank-You casamariposa for the information Was the $600.00 approx. for a couple or per person. I realize you can probably get cheaper Tickets but I had one bad experience and I would prefer going with HAL because of how they ensure the excursion is safe to the best of there ability. I have logged onto the Roll Call but it is very slow.

Thank-You casamariposa for the information Was the $600.00 approx. for a couple or per person. I realize you can probably get cheaper Tickets but I had one bad experience and I would prefer going with HAL because of how they ensure the excursion is safe to the best of there ability. I have logged onto the Roll Call but it is very slow.

The $600 (approx.) was per person. Keep checking the roll calls. I remember a lot of activity as the cruise date neared with people sharing info about on-line sources for seating tickets. But I feel the way you do.