Best Memories of Cruising

dljones

Every cruise is unique and there is always a sense of adventure... hanging out on the boards, getting upgrades, OBC and such but I am talking about experiences besides these things that stick in your mind. Well, wait a minute, these things are important too.

Anyway... Our first cruise was on the Celebration out of Galveston. A 5 night venture. Gosh we had fun on that cruise. But we didn't know anything and thought it was all "normal." Seems the ship was having problems. We were in an inside aft cabin at the very back of the ship. When the screws started the entire ship shuttered up and down. I would say a good half inch to inch with every turn. When the engines turned on, we looked at each other and said, OMG... What are we in for? It turned out to be one heck of cruise.

In Cozumel we took a jeep safari to the far side of the island on some of the roughest terrain possible. It was absolute freedom... We had lunch prepared for us on the beach. Wonderful. When we got back, we went to dinner at Poncho's Backyard then made our way down the road looking in the shops. Amazing (at least to us). We actually met some folks that I would see again and again after the cruise. That is one of my fondest memories of being on a cruise.

One of my most favorite moments on any cruise is sail away! A cold beer in hand. Can't be beat.

My favorite cruise memory is marrying my best friend on the Liberty before sailaway in Miami. Walking around the ship in my dress and dh in his suit with everyone congratulating us was so nice! Then we sailed away for a fantastic 7 days with our closest friends and family. By far our most favorite cruise so far that we still talk about 3 yrs later! Planning a 5 yr anniversary/reunion cruise for 2016!:)

Our first cruise on the Legend was probably the most memorable. Just walking onto the ship for the first time I had no expectations of how it would look or what it would be like and I was wowed. I've enjoyed other cruises more, but the first impressions are special memories.

I have cruised only on Carnival and have done 7 cruises. I always look fondly back on my first cruise on Inspiration back in Sep 2003. It was a family cruise with our parents. They are both gone now but I remember it as one of my favorites. As I continue to cruise on Carnival, I always feel at home as I enjoy the cruise and I do think back on my first cruise with my parents. I am grateful my parents introduced me to cruising on Carnival.:cool:

One of my fondest memories occurred on my 2011 cruise on Carnival Freedom. We were sitting on the Lido deck watching the movie Tangled with my son and eating popcorn and drinking virgin daiquiris. It was such a beautiful night. The stars were out and not one mosquito.! I kept thinking that it doesn't get much better than this!

I have cruised only on Carnival and have done 7 cruises. I always look fondly back on my first cruise on Inspiration back in Sep 2003. It was a family cruise with our parents. They are both gone now but I remember it as one of my favorites. As I continue to cruise on Carnival, I always feel at home as I enjoy the cruise and I do think back on my first cruise with my parents. I am grateful my parents introduced me to cruising on Carnival.:cool:

So sweet!

One of my most memorable moments on a cruise was the last one. Went with my entire family and we visited an orphanage on Roatan. We brought them about 5 duffel bags full of toys, balls, medical supplies, daily need stuff (tooth brush and tooth paste, hair ties, combs, brushes, socks and undies) Was great seeing the kids play and talking to the man who runs the house about the kids and their circumstances. Was a fun, sad and rewarding expirance for sure. Was glad my 14 y/o niece and her friend got to see how some people live, and how fortunate we are. And after visitiing the orphanage we went to a beautiful beach with awesome snorkeling. Best day ever.

Each cruise is special but here are my favorite (five) things:

1. Meeting new people. Some will surprise you in a good way

2. Sunrises - I get out to most every one. Yes, lack of sleep becomes an

issue towards the end of the cruise, but hey, I've seen some AWESOME

sunrises...

3. Sunsets - Take the late dinner seating or we did YTD last cruise. I love

getting pictures of my wife and I with the sun setting in the background.

4. Food - so much and so good....

5. (and not least) - sharing this experience with my best friend who just happens

to be my wife... we disconnect from the rest of the world and enjoy the time

together.

Steve

Edited by snc_cam

First cruise on the Pride we stopped in Nassau and Freeport. We went on a dolphin experience in one, and with the sea lions in the other (get confused which was where :) ) Did you know when you hug a sea lion, they hug back? Had my DS and DD along with DH and we just had a magical time.

Each cruise is special but here are my favorite (five) things:

1. Meeting new people. Some will surprise you in a good way

2. Sunrises - I get out to most every one. Yes, lack of sleep becomes an

issue towards the end of the cruise, but hey, I've seen some AWESOME

sunrises...

3. Sunsets - Take the late dinner seating or we did YTD last cruise. I love

getting pictures of my wife and I with the sun setting in the background.

4. Food - so much and so good....

5. (and not least) - sharing this experience with my best friend who just happens

to be my wife... we disconnect from the rest of the world and enjoy the time

together.

Steve

I like number 5 the best!

Great stories all around! I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences. I know there have been some stinker cruises out there lately with lots of unhappy people but (knock on wood), we have never been on a bad cruise. I just enjoy the whole package come what may.

Keep um coming!

My fondest memory is my now fiance proposing to me on the Freedom. Afterwards he told me that he had to juggle the ring box back and forth between his pocket and his carry on to get through security and he had no idea how he pulled it off without me noticing. But he did! And now I get to marry my best friend and of course for the honeymoon we'll be cruising.

We have met some lifelong friends through cruising, friendships that continue to grow. Memories...watching dolphins jump out of the water alongside the ship in Cabo San Lucas, whales, stingrays, turtles....oh my!!! And I have to agree, now that my husband and I are able to cruise without the kids, it does give you a great opportunity to just sit back, relax and enjoy the 'view from here'!

Our first cruise we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We went cave tubing in Belize that day with friends we had met from our roll call. I remember thinking while sitting having lunch in the middle of the rainforest that I would never have dreamed 25 years earlier that that was how we would spend our 25th anniversary. It is a really special memory.

I have only great memories of my past cruises, but if I had to pick one, it would be this;

My second cruise, but also my first solo cruise was on the Sensation/ 7 day cruise out of Tampa in 2000.

I was really nervous about going to the dining room and sitting a table with a group of strangers. During sailaway I remember standing at the rails and while being really excited about the next 7 days, I was fretting about going to dinner, and considered not going, and instead doing the buffet for dinner. I really dont like to do the buffet for dinner, so I was going back and forth, will I go to MDR or wont I?

Finally I summoned up the courage to go to the MDR. To my delight, I found myself seated at a large table of other solos, and two couples, and we all got along so well. So dinner in the MDR, became something I looked forward to all day, not just for the food, but for the wonderful company of these very nice and entertaining people.

Shudder to think I might have subjected myself to buffet dinners for the 7 days. Since then, I have had other great experiences on my solo cruises, and a couple of not so good. But I will never forget those great dinners and conversations on that Sensation cruise 14 years ago.

I have to add my second favorite....swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman in 2007:)

First cruise on The Dream, I Got A Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas blasted at the welcome aboard party. Every time I hear that song now it takes me right back there.

Our first cruise the song on the Lido deck was 'Red, Red Wine'... My DH swore he was gonna choke somebody if he heard the song one more time! I can still make him laugh on any cruise by just humming a few bars!

Like others, the most special memories are the times with my DH and other family.

Although maybe for those not using the services of the USCG, but I didn't realize until cruising how many people are actually airlifted due to medical reasons. I think every cruise except my last one, someone has been airlifted off. One of the other most memorable things is meeting new people, and the generosity and kindness showed to total strangers.

On our last cruise, one of my favorite memories was hanging out with our son one evening just walking around the ship exploring, then later eating pizza and watching a movie. He is a teenager now and doesn't want to hang around Mom too much these days so it was especially nice.

Also, sitting out on the balcony at night watching the waves hit the ship was awesome.

Lastly, on our first cruise, we saw a whale breaching not 10 minutes after I said out loud "Man it would be so cool to see a whale or something right now"!:D

I think my two favorite memories happened on my Med Cruise last year. Sailing from Dubrovnik to Venice we were out at the front of our deck and there was a little dolphin jumping and following alongside the ship. In my 9 previous cruises beyond that one, I'd never seen a dolphin. Certainly didn't expect to see one in the Adriatic Sea! My other one was the view sailing into Venice. Amazing.

I can name two, for related, but different reasons.

1) Doing a dolphin swim. I was originally supposed to do one about ten years prior, when I went to an AI with a friend. He initially said he liked the idea, but then told a lie to get out of it. Back then, I was very uncomfortable with going there by myself, so I never went. Weird, I know, but I was 19. So getting to swim with dolphins, on a solo cruise where I'm in full control of what happens and when, made it a truly great excursion. It more than made up for not getting to do it when I was younger.

2) Starting at the wakes trailing behind the stern. I took my first cruise when I working in a very stressful job. It became increasingly difficult to relax in my daily life. I needed that cruise real bad, just to get away. So when I was standing at the stern, watching the wakes on the ocean trail into the distance, listening to the dull whoosh of the ship's hull cut through the water, feeling the wind carry my worries and frustrations out to sea, I was able to fully relax for the first time in years.