Disappointment in Caribbean Princess 4/19-4/26

Tullabelle

I was on the same cruise and had quite the opposite experience. My only complaint was the liquor issue until we got to international waters. But, we had an amazing time, met so many new friends, and enjoyed the food…which was very consistent with the 11 previous Princess cruises I've been on since Nov. 11.

We have sailed twice on the CB and agree the ship is fine, but our cruise to nowhere out of Houston has convinced us to not attempt that port again. Ports of call are too important to try any cruise out of there again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree! Many say a bad day at sea is better than a day at work, but not true when you are self employed and vacation time is not only not paid, but you lose out on money from not working. A double whammy and a cruise to nowhere would have been a huge disaster for me. I would have been really upset if I were on that sailing.

My only complaint was the liquor issue until we got to international waters.

Princess blames Texas laws which only allow the serving of alcohol in Texas waters (and on land) if the alcohol has been purchased from Texas distributers.

I tend to blame Princess for choosing only a limited number of brands to be purchased from Texas distributers. Princess could purchase some more brands from Texas distributers even if a full menu of drinks would still not be served.

Princess blames Texas laws which only allow the serving of alcohol in Texas waters (and on land) if the alcohol has been purchased from Texas distributers.

I tend to blame Princess for choosing only a limited number of brands to be purchased from Texas distributers. Princess could purchase some more brands from Texas distributers even if a full menu of drinks would still not be served.

Agreed. That's total BS on Princess' part. Of course, as with most corporate decisions, it's all about money. They could have totally made a ton more money during the first 4.5 hours of the cruise (and frankly, a lot fewer cranky cruise passengers) if they had some decent liquors. Russeika Vodka? Never heard of it…and of course, I've never seen that crap on the cheap shelves at Specs or Total Wine.

Edited by brentlym

I also had a not so great cruise on the Golden this spring, but all my other experiences with Princess were really enjoyable.

It happens. My Caribbean Princess cruises (all three) specifically have never been up to par. Twenty one cruises later on Princess and all others have been terrific.

Or order something different when you order the first time. You do not have to take the entree with its listed potato or vegetable options. If you see options with other entrees that you would prefer with your entree, just request when you place your order.

Of course you can, if you know there are (in this case) potatoes in the recipe --it is the hidden and inappropriate (therefore unanticipated) items (i.e. potato puree substituting for cream in "cream of tomato soup") that one cannot anticipate.

Agreed. That's total BS on Princess' part. Of course, as with most corporate decisions, it's all about money. They could have totally made a ton more money during the first 4.5 hours of the cruise (and frankly, a lot fewer cranky cruise passengers) if they had some decent liquors. Russeika Vodka? Never heard of it…and of course, I've never seen that crap on the cheap shelves at Specs or Total Wine.

And you wanna bet that those Texas distributors would charge exorbitant prices for good booze?

If you think the Piazza is loud on Princess, then you probably won't like Celebrity. They tend to have a band in their Atrium on S class ships during the same time frame that is significantly louder and more facilities that tie directly into the Atrium on those ships.

Interesting to know... thanks for the head's up -- I am not sure which ones are the "S" class ships (I never keep those things straight), but I will look it up. My husband had suggested Celebrity before we settled on Princess for our last cruise. Maybe Celebrity wouldn't have been that great a choice either! We loved Celebrity Infinity 8 years ago, but I don't think that is "S" class (?), and who know how things have changed...

But I do know that on Caribbean Princess, when I went to the Customer Service desk with a question, I could not hear the customer service rep at all while the loud band was playing in the Piazza, as the desk was overlooking that area.

Interesting to know... thanks for the head's up -- I am not sure which ones are the "S" class ships (I never keep those things straight), but I will look it up. My husband had suggested Celebrity before we settled on Princess for our last cruise. Maybe Celebrity wouldn't have been that great a choice either! We loved Celebrity Infinity 8 years ago, but I don't think that is "S" class (?), and who know how things have changed...

But I do know that on Caribbean Princess, when I went to the Customer Service desk with a question, I could not hear the customer service rep at all while the loud band was playing in the Piazza, as the desk was overlooking that area.

This is definitely a improvement on the Royal Princess, where the PSD is set away from the main Piazza in a mini-Piazza. Keep in mind, there are 911 calls coming into the PSD during all that loud music.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Of course you can, if you know there are (in this case) potatoes in the recipe --it is the hidden and inappropriate (therefore unanticipated) items (i.e. potato puree substituting for cream in "cream of tomato soup") that one cannot anticipate.

What you need to do is speak with your headwaiter the first evening. Let him know about your desire to avoid these hidden ingredients.

Each evening he will bring the next day's menus to you. Working with you, you can select dishes that do not include the unwanted ingredients. Also, the headwaiter can let you know which items that contain those ingredients can be prepared for you without them.

You "special" order for the next evening will be stored under your cabin number. Just let your waitstaff know the next evening you had preordered and what your cabin number is. Also ask to have the headwaiter come see you to plan the following day's list.

If you plan to eat in a specialty restaurant, see the headwaiter there the evening before.

Edited by caribill

And you wanna bet that those Texas distributors would charge exorbitant prices for good booze?

They would be the same prices they use for Texas liquor outlets.

What I do not know is if the spirits can be sold to Princess without the federal alcohol tax.

It happens. My Caribbean Princess cruises (all three) specifically have never been up to par. Twenty one cruises later on Princess and all others have been terrific.

I heard pax on CP say the same thing -- it was their worst Princess cruise. This view, from seasoned Princess pax, causes me to at least consider giving Princess a second chance, but I doubt it will be on CP -- as others have said, Houston Bayport is a bit of a pain... Still, if the price were right, I might revisit this cruise. Now I know exactly what's what and have had my expectations of the ship, the crew, the food, etc., knocked down to a more realistic level. I really did love the itinerary.

But Princess would have to woo me, for sure. It is a different matter altogether for folks to have sailed often and happily with a cruise line, but have a cruise or two not be up to snuff. But since this was my first Princess cruise, and I have so many other choices, Princess has some ground to cover to get me back.

One thing I certainly have learned -- to not let the cheerleaders influence me enough to think that the cruise line they are rooting for is "perfect." I guess it's that old adage: "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" I don't think Princess cheerleaders understand how much their wholesale "my cruise line can do no wrong" attitude and fight-to-the-death defense of even the smallest criticism of Princess does harm in the long run -- that is, if their goal is to get folks to sail with Princess! When I have realistic expectations of a ship or line I end up much happier on board than when I am led to believe that the cruise will be "heaven" and all I can do is be disappointed when the cruise (obviously!) isn't. It's been a good lesson for me.

I appreciate you balanced comments!

We were on the Caribbean Princess two weeks ago. We were upgraded from an obstructed ov to a balcony. We had $175 in onboard credit. The food was great, the ports were great. A cruise, any cruise, is what you make of it. This was our 2nd Princess cruise, our friends first. They were also upgraded. Cruising on whichever cruise line you choose is still the best vacation value. When we started cruising 14 years ago, this cruise would have cost us double. :)

While on the Royal I heard couples complaining about the loud music on the Piazza, particularly at dinner times between 6 and 9 pm. It was difficult to carry a conversation while dining at Alfredo's one floor up.

The Royal is particularly subject to loud music because the Piazza is the primary dance venue since there's no Explorers and the Wheelhouse doesn't have a dance floor. (This is one of two reasons, after our 1 cruise on the Royal my husband won't go back)

I heard pax on CP say the same thing -- it was their worst Princess cruise.

And we were on a February CB cruise out of Houston and it was one of our best Princess cruises.

Left on schedule. Returned on schedule. Made all the ports on schedule. Great weather all the way except for a short storm on the last sea day. And a great onboard staff.

The Royal is particularly subject to loud music because the Piazza is the primary dance venue since there's no Explorers and the Wheelhouse doesn't have a dance floor. (This is one of two reasons, after our 1 cruise on the Royal my husband won't go back)

I agree with you about the loud music on the Royal Princess, and I'm dying to know- what's the other reason?

I agree with you about the loud music on the Royal Princess, and I'm dying to know- what's the other reason?

Lack of the promenade deck. Pretty much on cruises we dance and walk the promenade. There was a third reason, but neither of us remember what it was, so it couldn't have been too important.

Too bad, because otherwise there's a lot to like about the ship.

And we were on a February CB cruise out of Houston and it was one of our best Princess cruises.

Left on schedule. Returned on schedule. Made all the ports on schedule. Great weather all the way except for a short storm on the last sea day. And a great onboard staff.

I am sure you recognize that telling me this pushes me back toward the "why should I give Princess another chance" camp, right? :rolleyes: Hearing that experienced Princess cruisers had similar issues as mine on our cruise made me feel that I was not alone in being slightly disappointed, and that I had hit either an off week on board or an off ship, relative to what Princess might possibly have to offer; thus, giving Princess a second chance might be a good idea. You suggest that this cruise might already have been the best Princess has to offer!

Are you sure you aren't working for another cruise line, trolling for folks who are ready to 'jump ship?" :D

Seriously, I appreciate that pax impressions and experiences of any given cruise run the gamut. However, years of reading the many glowing posts and reviews from Princess fans on CC had established in my mind this sort of "mystique" surrounding Princess, and I just had to try it. Honestly, the mystique eludes me.

I am sure you recognize that telling me this pushes me back toward the "why should I give Princess another chance" camp, right?

Seriously, I appreciate that pax impressions and experiences of any given cruise run the gamut. However, years of reading the many glowing posts and reviews from Princess fans on CC had established in my mind this sort of "mystique" surrounding Princess, and I just had to try it. Honestly, the mystique eludes me.

I do not think I have read any negative reviews or experiences on the CB cruise we were on. Of course, as I indicated we had no fog or other weather problems.

On the other hand, I have read many reviews of this season's CB sailngs where there were minor and major disappointments due to fog and oil spill problems and how Princess reacted to these.

We were just very lucky in which sailing we had booked.

I am sure you recognize that telling me this pushes me back toward the "why should I give Princess another chance" camp, right? :rolleyes: Hearing that experienced Princess cruisers had similar issues as mine on our cruise made me feel that I was not alone in being slightly disappointed, and that I had hit either an off week on board or an off ship, relative to what Princess might possibly have to offer; thus, giving Princess a second chance might be a good idea. You suggest that this cruise might already have been the best Princess has to offer!

Are you sure you aren't working for another cruise line, trolling for folks who are ready to 'jump ship?" :D

I was on the Caribbean Princess in January. If your biggest issue with the cruise was the food, then you are probably going to have the same issue with any other Princess Cruise. I happened to enjoy to food and selection. I found it similar to other Princess cruises I have taken over the past two years.

The only thing unique to the Caribbean Princess this spring has been the delayed returns and departures. Ours was delayed departing by 4 hours due to Noro the previous cruise and extra cleaning, but had no other problems during our cruise. The Caribbean Princess is not one of my preferred Princess ships. That is due to the lack of a covered pool area, not because of anything unique in the service and food area.

I heard pax on CP say the same thing -- it was their worst Princess cruise. This view, from seasoned Princess pax, causes me to at least consider giving Princess a second chance, but I doubt it will be on CP -- as others have said, Houston Bayport is a bit of a pain... Still, if the price were right, I might revisit this cruise. Now I know exactly what's what and have had my expectations of the ship, the crew, the food, etc., knocked down to a more realistic level. I really did love the itinerary.

But Princess would have to woo me, for sure. It is a different matter altogether for folks to have sailed often and happily with a cruise line, but have a cruise or two not be up to snuff. But since this was my first Princess cruise, and I have so many other choices, Princess has some ground to cover to get me back.

One thing I certainly have learned -- to not let the cheerleaders influence me enough to think that the cruise line they are rooting for is "perfect." I guess it's that old adage: "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" I don't think Princess cheerleaders understand how much their wholesale "my cruise line can do no wrong" attitude and fight-to-the-death defense of even the smallest criticism of Princess does harm in the long run -- that is, if their goal is to get folks to sail with Princess! When I have realistic expectations of a ship or line I end up much happier on board than when I am led to believe that the cruise will be "heaven" and all I can do is be disappointed when the cruise (obviously!) isn't. It's been a good lesson for me.

I appreciate you balanced comments!

My sub par experiences on the CB do not prevent me from going on Princess. After trying RCCL, Norwegian, and Celebrity I still prefer Princess. Something about the CB though...

Just off the Royal and LOVED it!!! In fact, can't wait to book the Regal this fall.

Can't believe the amount of complaints! Do you think you'll be happy with any other cruise line?

Maybe you should all consider luxury lines... I hope you are all willing to pay three or four times the fares Princess is offering. If you're not willing or able to do that, please remember that you are very lucky to be able to cruise. Things do change though ... Remember that.