Disappointment in Caribbean Princess 4/19-4/26

Tullabelle

It's been several years since I have cruised with Princess, however, I joined a group of friends on the Caribbean Princess this last week. I was totally disappointed with the cruise. It was the first cruise for my room mate and trust me she refuses to do another. Have to admit that if this had been my first cruise, I wouldn't either.

What happened to "fun" being part of the cruise? While there were a few people on board that jazzed things up as a whole it was more like lets just do our job but no more. No joking and playing with the passengers, no fun presentation of the food etc. One morning my sliced bananas came in the form of a happy face on the plate, the rest of the time just dumped in a bowl. "Glasses of milk" were delivered, warm in cream pitchers. Food selections were pretty much the same all over the ship and I felt like they were recycling food if they couldn't get rid of it. We did eat in the Crown Grill one night which was excellent, but honestly that was the only meal I enjoyed. Since when are beef filets tough and full of gristle..... There was no presentation. To me the menus were old and tired. I was so looking forward to Rack of Lamb but never did see it on the menu. Did get a lamb chop that tasted more like mutton than lamb. And what's up with all the sugar free stuff? I cook sugar free but I at least substitute artificial sweetener. When they say sugar free they mean sugar free, tasteless and bitter. What I have loved with the other cruise lines is the variety of food all over the ship..... Without spending the extra for the specialty your only other choice was pizza or hamburgers....... not much choice in my opinion. I am happy at home most days eating lean cuisine so I am not that picky but the food on this ship was disgusting at best..... Felt too that everything was being rationed. I had a beverage card but it was like pulling teeth to get a beverage.

The musical entertainment was great. Although I am not one to hang out in the bars. Saw one show and that was enough..... To me everything was geared for the over '70 crowd or those that hang in bars. We were certainly a fish out of water, no matter how hard we tried.

I probably won't do another princess cruise -- which is sad because I am taking my daughter and family to Europe next year, but I want us to really enjoy the trip and based on this past week I'm not hopeful that Princess can deliver.

It's been several years since I have cruised with Princess, however, I joined a group of friends on the Caribbean Princess this last week. I was totally disappointed with the cruise. It was the first cruise for my room mate and trust me she refuses to do another. Have to admit that if this had been my first cruise, I wouldn't either.

What happened to "fun" being part of the cruise? While there were a few people on board that jazzed things up as a whole it was more like lets just do our job but no more. No joking and playing with the passengers, no fun presentation of the food etc. One morning my sliced bananas came in the form of a happy face on the plate, the rest of the time just dumped in a bowl. "Glasses of milk" were delivered, warm in cream pitchers. Food selections were pretty much the same all over the ship and I felt like they were recycling food if they couldn't get rid of it. We did eat in the Crown Grill one night which was excellent, but honestly that was the only meal I enjoyed. Since when are beef filets tough and full of gristle..... There was no presentation. To me the menus were old and tired. I was so looking forward to Rack of Lamb but never did see it on the menu. Did get a lamb chop that tasted more like mutton than lamb. And what's up with all the sugar free stuff? I cook sugar free but I at least substitute artificial sweetener. When they say sugar free they mean sugar free, tasteless and bitter. What I have loved with the other cruise lines is the variety of food all over the ship..... Without spending the extra for the specialty your only other choice was pizza or hamburgers....... not much choice in my opinion. I am happy at home most days eating lean cuisine so I am not that picky but the food on this ship was disgusting at best..... Felt too that everything was being rationed. I had a beverage card but it was like pulling teeth to get a beverage.

The musical entertainment was great. Although I am not one to hang out in the bars. Saw one show and that was enough..... To me everything was geared for the over '70 crowd or those that hang in bars. We were certainly a fish out of water, no matter how hard we tried.

I probably won't do another princess cruise -- which is sad because I am taking my daughter and family to Europe next year, but I want us to really enjoy the trip and based on this past week I'm not hopeful that Princess can deliver.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise but it really sounds like Princess is not for you. You might be better off on Carnival which has a younger crowd.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. We have sailed on Princess twice and were very happy with our experiences.

For us, cruising is all about the ports of call, visiting places we wouldn't see ordinarily, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures. The ship, food, onboard experience is secondary.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Sorry that you were disappointed. It does sound like Carnival might be a better fit. I personally have never found Princess food disgusting, but if I had, I would have certainly sent it back until I found something palatable. The IC does have wonderful offerings too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . . The musical entertainment was great. Although I am not one to hang out in the bars.

I'm a bit confused by this. Where else did you expect to find musical entertainment being offered? That's where the bandstands and dance floors are.

Tullabelle, sorry to hear that the cruise did not meet your expectations.

We have sailed on the Caribbean Princess 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed each cruise. We would sail on her again (and probably will when she returns to Houston in 2016).

One thing you mention is the lack of alternative dining, which is a mystery to me. The Lido deck has Café Caribe open most nights and Horizon Court open the others, both of which serve an excellent selection of food for dining. Every Princess Platter contained a listing of the dining venues and when they were open, and often mentioned the theme of the night for Café Caribe. I have to wonder how you missed these alternatives.

I've also found many of the sugar-free desserts to taste great, even though I don't need to choose these.

I hope you find a vacation that fits your expectations. Princess certainly provides cruises that meet and often exceed mine.

Your sliced bananas came in the shape of a happy face only once, this is a complaint? There are wonderful sandwiches, salads, soups and desserts available all the time at the International Cafe. As mentioned, the Caribe Cafe also has much more than just pizza and hamburgers. I don't understand you saying the selections were the same all over the ship. :confused: If you were unhappy with your dinner selection in the MDR, they are always happy to bring something else for you.:)

Tullebelle sorry this cruise did not meet your expectations. We sailed the Carribbean Princess April 5, 2014 and had a wonderful cruise. We found the food to be enjoyable as always on Princess cruises. We were just on the Emerald Princess in February for 20 days which had a lot of the same menus in MR and we found the Carribeean Princess did some items better than the Emerald. Can not comment on the food in the Horizon Court for dinner as we always dined in the MR for dinner and we never felt the need to pay to dine as we thoroughly enjoyed our meals in the MR. We had anytime dining and they were more than happy to accommodate us with a lovely table every evening with the same waiter with a lovely view by a window at 7:30. Also enjoyed some delicious lunches from IC, the trident grill and the horizon court. We also found the service to be excellent especially our wait staff in the MR.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Welcome to the new world of cruising, more passengers and larger ships. Perhaps a smaller ship where crew ratio is higher and staff has time to spend with passengers or perhaps a lux line, then the food should be more to your liking. Hope you find your perfect cruise line and keep cruising. Not every cruise line/ship is for everyone. Seadeck2

OP - Do careful research when planning your European cruise. Read reviews. Cruising in Europe isn't anything like going to the Caribbean. Carnival or Royal Caribbean might be a better fit for you in the Caribbean, but Princess does the best in Europe of the cruise lines we have taken.

due to its' itinerary and on my last time on the CB- the food was wonderful...

my last lunch was a wonderful soufflé that the waiter cut the crust open and balanced it gingerly on its' side....it was a work of art!

Took a pic! It's still on my phone somewhere...

Then it was back to the reality of post-Hurricane Sandy, 75 foot tree in my back yard...and no one to cook for me

looking forward to scan for treats or light snack at the International Café....running dow nthe steps bright and early for my fresh brewed coffee to enjoy in my cabin...

Already thinking of the food to come- fettuccini and those delicious little tiny rolls I call evil because I have to eat one at every dinner!!

and the delicious pizza to take back to our balcony to chill ax!

Sorry you did not like your cruise....

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet

Sadly, cruising is definitely NOT the experience it once was. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience. We do cruise several different lines. If you like alternate dining NCL seems to do the best with that venue. For us, we occasionally dine in the Crown Grill on Princess but have never felt that we needed to. We have done 5-6 Carnival cruises and while the daytime activities seam to cater to the younger crowd, I have always felt Princess has more happening in the evening. Just got off Royal Princess and it is a sleeker more modern ship that may appeal to you more. We are also Platinum on Royal Caribbean and while their activities are certainly top notch, we have seen a serious decline in the food quality and presentation. Celebrity is quite nice and I love their martini bars. I hope you find your nitch.

Sorry to hear Princess wasn't a good fit for you. Everyone has their own taste and priorities....this is why there are different cruise lines. If you were looking for dancing waiters, banana smilies, and towel animals then you were definitely in the wrong place. It does sound like Carnival may be a better fit for what you want. Interestingly, I felt the same way you did, but in reverse, after a Carnival cruise. To each their own. The important thing is to find an experience that suits your needs.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Edited by custompcsys

With all due respect to the OP (if I'm wrong) but the OP had not explained or at very least commented on posts by others who have stated quite contrary experiences while onboard the same ship. Does everybody know what a troll is.

The OP had not been on Princess in several years yet thought the menus were "old & tired"? :confused:

And the food was "disgusting at best" is not a description I'd use to describe food on Princess & others on their cruise had very different opinions. My wife has the sugar-free desserts frequently and has enjoyed every one of them so not sure why they were "bitter" for the OP. Obviously taste is very subjective however the overwhelming majority of Princess passengers I've met feel differently about the food. Recently on the Golden I thought the food was prepared rather bland which I've read can be affected by the executive chef. For the most part my wife thought otherwise but we never described anything as "disgusting at best". :eek:

I have no problem reducing the size of the portions to eliminate wasting food. Sometimes I look at the plate and it doesn't appear to be much food until I have problems finishing all of it. ;)

As others have said the economics of cruising today are not what they were in the past. That's true on any cruise line that I've sailed on & when paying the same or less than cruises cost decades ago it's to be expected.

Everyone has an opinion on everything & each of us decides whether to take it with a 'grain of salt' which is how I feel about this review.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Carnival would not be a better fit for the OP. If she was disappointed in the food on Princess, she'll starve on Carnival.

Maybe not They do have the chocolate molten cake that is to die for. But is about as classy as TGI Fridays

I'm not. Princess diehard fan as I've sailed with RCCL & plan to try other lines next year. But how can the OP call the food during her cruise disgusting? And her mention that there was no variety of food on the entire ship. Surely you jest (love that line). Methinks this person had ridiculous expectations to start with.