Freestyle dining-what is it?

Kate45

Cruised Princess and Celebrity many times, but never NCL. We like the idea of having the same table mates, same waiters and same dining time every nite. Can someone please tell me if this is possible on NCL? How does it work? Do you make a reservation for a certain time, Can you request a certain table? Or do you just show up and sit where they put you? Thanks

Cruised Princess and Celebrity many times, but never NCL. We like the idea of having the same table mates, same waiters and same dining time every nite. Can someone please tell me if this is possible on NCL? How does it work? Do you make a reservation for a certain time, Can you request a certain table? Or do you just show up and sit where they put you? Thanks

It's like a land based restaurant- when you want to eat you go to the MDR and are seated. You may certainly request sitting at the same table and showing up at the same time every night but there is no guarentee. As far as I know they only make reservations in the MDR for large parties.

Supposedly if you ask for this your first night you can do it, but they do rotate out the wait staff so it will be difficult. And having the same tablemates will require someone else wanting to share a table with another couple(s). When you arrive in the dining room you can request to be seated with others. Then the hostess will ask those coming in after you if they would like to be seated with you. Once you meet and eat, if you hit it off, you could plan to dine together at the same time with each other every night.

The beauty of freestyle is that you can decide who you want to dine with and when you want to dine. This allows for flexibility when seeing shows, musical acts, etc. And if you meet other some nice people and want to dine with them - once or every night - that will be between you and them. This has happened for us several times - we met really nice people on board and we arranged to have dinner together one night. This gave DH and I some private dinners and also some company when we felt like being social. It is much better than being stuck at a table with folks you may have nothing in common with and don't want to sit across from for the entire week (this happened to us once).

If this idea does not appeal to you, then you may not want to sail on NCL.

We "thought" we liked assigned dining until we sailed NCL and had free style dining.

It was just nice to not have to rush around in order to be to dinner on time. After a long day on shore, we like to relax a little before dinner, shower, and maybe have a late afternoon snack. We found at times that we were not ready for dinner at our assinged time. We also liked not feeling guilty if we decided to skip dinner in the MDR.

Over the years we have met some wonderful people during our assigned dining times. We have also met some real odd balls. We are looking forward to our upcoming free style dining.

I think after you try it you will like it. We will do assigned again, but we do enjoy free style.

Personally, we don't care for Freestyle. There is nothing worse than showing up for dinner, when you want to eat, and being given a blinking box and told to wait for 1/2 hour-45 minutes. It is very much like a land restaurant with the same wait. Hardly freestyle.

Personally, we don't care for Freestyle. There is nothing worse than showing up for dinner, when you want to eat, and being given a blinking box and told to wait for 1/2 hour-45 minutes. It is very much like a land restaurant with the same wait. Hardly freestyle.

Excuse me, but how many restaurants have you eaten in that seat the number of people MDRs do?

Worst I've ever waited was 15 minutes.

The key to freestyle is to be hungry when no one else is hungry. If we get the pager then we go to the closest bar and have our pre-dinner drink there instead of at the table.

Never waited more than 5 mins in the MDR Freestyle.

Here's NCL's definition....

NORWEGIANS DINE IN STYLE

Freestyle Dining is where Freestyle Cruising® begins. Sit down to a four-course meal and a fine wine. Or grab a burger hot off the grill. Dress up. Dress down. Sit with your friends or make new ones. You'll find more dining options than days of your cruise, and you're free to enjoy them all on your own schedule.

The key to freestyle is to be hungry when no one else is hungry. If we get the pager then we go to the closest bar and have our pre-dinner drink there instead of at the table.

We have been given a pager, with free drinks for having to wait (don't forget to ask about that perk), ordered drinks, they arrive and our pager goes off - best way in the world to get a free drink before dinner. We also like to eat a little earlier so that we can enjoy the evening shows and entertainment. Just don't eat when there is a long line.

Excuse me, but how many restaurants have you eaten in that seat the number of people MDRs do?

Worst I've ever waited was 15 minutes.

30-45 minutes every night last summer. No free drinks either. By the end of the week we ate later so that we wouldn't have the same problem.

I think it's importnat that people know that just because you want to eat at 7, doesn't mean you will eat at 7.

IMO, there is nothing worse than being told when to show up for dinner, and than having to endure the same people every night. I'll take my chances with Freestyle.

In six NCL cruises, we have been given a pager once that I can recall, along with glasses of free champagne. We didn't even have time to finish it before being called back. Every other time, seated immediately. We ate every night where and when we decided.

You did not say what ship. On the Getaway ( and maybe all the ships now? ), I noticed that there was a sign up sheet near the Guest Services desk for those who wanted to dine with others that night. I believe you had to go around 5:30 only, but if you do this and hit it off with some folks, you could certainly agree to get together the following night at 7:00, or whatever time suits, and just show up with your new friends.

There was also a notice in the Freestyle Daily that if you wanted a daily set time/table, this was possible. But this would be for your party only, or the two of you, and again, it was for an early dinner. You would have to be sure everyone would show up every night so as not to tie up a table unnecessarily. And there are 3 MDRs, the buffet and lots of other venues to choose from, so it seems silly to restrict yourself to only 1 option, IMO. Embrace the Freestyle.:D

30-45 minutes every night last summer. No free drinks either. By the end of the week we ate later so that we wouldn't have the same problem.

I think it's importnat that people know that just because you want to eat at 7, doesn't mean you will eat at 7.

If I am told a 45 minute wait, unless I reeeeally am not in a hurry, I will immediately walk to another MDR where I more than likely will be seated immediately. Anyone who waits 45 minutes, is doing so by choice.

Sounds like you need to go back to a traditional dining cruise line.

FWIW, we've never been given a blinker or have had to wait on our trips. We tend to get to the restaurant by 6, however.

How do tips work if you do not have the same wait staff???

Like most cruise lines do now, NCL applies a Daily Service Charge to your account ($12 per person, per day) that is pooled and distributed to the various wait staff and the cabin stewards. You can provide individual tips, but it's not required anymore.

The exception to the pool are concierge, butler (if you're in a suite) and kid's club staff. Bar staff tips are included on the drink check.

Sounds like you need to go back to a traditional dining cruise line.

FWIW, we've never been given a blinker or have had to wait on our trips. We tend to get to the restaurant by 6, however.

Thanks for your concern, but I think I'll continue to make my own cruise decisions.

If I am told a 45 minute wait, unless I reeeeally am not in a hurry, I will immediately walk to another MDR where I more than likely will be seated immediately. Anyone who waits 45 minutes, is doing so by choice.

I'm telling you what happened to us. No more, no less. I'm sorry if you think I did something wrong or I chose to wait for 45 minutes. It certainly wasn't a choice; we were told 20.

Wait staff are paid through the Daily Service Charge, not individually.

However, if you have outstanding service, you can tip at the time of service.

Thanks. One more question - if you eat in the restaurants do they all have the same menu every night or do the menus change daily??

Thanks. One more question - if you eat in the restaurants do they all have the same menu every night or do the menus change daily??

I believe all the MDR have the same menu. And by the way I was on the breakaway in March. We never waited more than 5 minutes even when we ate with cruise critic people making our group 6 or 8 people still didn't wait.

Ps someone on this thread has their panties in a knot lol

Edited by GeriC

The MDR does have 1 side of the menu that changes daily, and there is always a Chef's Special. The other side of the menu is the same daily. The 2 smaller Dinimg rooms may have menus that differ a little from the MDR and each other. I never compared them on any given night. The buffet will have different offerings each night. O'Sheehans has the same comfort food items daily, like wings, but they have specials each night like ribs or prime rib. The specialty restaurants do have the same menus daily.

Edited by punkincc

Thanks for your concern, but I think I'll continue to make my own cruise decisions.

You sure? I'd hate for you to go on a cruiseline where you don't care for the main thing that differentiates them from others. Life's too short to be waiting for dinner when there is nothing worse than that.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time.

Never waited more than 5 mins in the MDR Freestyle.

Here's NCL's definition....

NORWEGIANS DINE IN STYLE

Freestyle Dining is where Freestyle Cruising® begins. Sit down to a four-course meal and a fine wine. Or grab a burger hot off the grill. Dress up. Dress down. Sit with your friends or make new ones. You'll find more dining options than days of your cruise, and you're free to enjoy them all on your own schedule.

So it's basically the same as every other mainstream cruiseline, except for the name of it (mytime, anytime, etc...) I know, I know, NCL came up with it first and they do it better than everyone else. NCL is not unique anymore. Flamesuit on.