What would you do?

Hey guys,

Been looking into booking for next March.. I was pretty set on doing Adventure of the Seas to Aruba and Curacao (never been to) and St Thomas and St Kitts (went to both this past year). We were on that cruise this past year but we didn't make it to Aruba and Curacao because of the ship issues.. The price has gone up a pretty good amount, so I've been looking at other options too..

Came across Vision of the Seas out of Tampa. Going to Cozumel (been there), Honduras, Belize, and Costa Maya (never been to any of those three).

Looking at a Grand Suite on both, we can get the one on Vision for about $500 less total for the two of us. Flights however, would be a lot cheaper. We'd be able to fly for about $400 compared to roughly $800.

What would you do? I was really set on the Puerto Rico one again.. what pro's would there be to the Vision out of Tampa?

Hey guys,

Been looking into booking for next March.. I was pretty set on doing Adventure of the Seas to Aruba and Curacao (never been to) and St Thomas and St Kitts (went to both this past year). We were on that cruise this past year but we didn't make it to Aruba and Curacao because of the ship issues.. The price has gone up a pretty good amount, so I've been looking at other options too..

Came across Vision of the Seas out of Tampa. Going to Cozumel (been there), Honduras, Belize, and Costa Maya (never been to any of those three).

Looking at a Grand Suite on both, we can get the one on Vision for about $500 less total for the two of us. Flights however, would be a lot cheaper. We'd be able to fly for about $400 compared to roughly $800.

What would you do? I was really set on the Puerto Rico one again.. what pro's would there be to the Vision out of Tampa?

you could also look at Legend of the seas out of Fort Lauderdale it has a nice itinerary, 10&11 night cruises

Edited by cgr377

Hey guys,

I couldn't make my mine up.....so we're doing both

Vision Tampa Feb 2015

Jewel PRico Apr 2015

Chow

Shelton

Still looking for more opinions!:)

I would do the Adventure cruise if it won't break you financially because if I read your original post correctly that is the one you had your heart set on. I also would do that one because I've really wanted to go on that particular cruise and I love the Adventure's sister ship, the Navigator.

We are doing the Quantum out of NJ on 1 March....10 days S. Carib route and experience the new ship should be awesome! Just another idea here. It stops in Puerto Rico...doesn't go as south to Aruba...but should be a nice experience.

Edited by CRUIS4ME

Hello -

I flew to SJU from ORD nonstop in late Feb this year on Jet Blue for 274 including bags!! Jet Blue doesn't go out to March 2015 yet. I will be going back to SJU in Sept 2015.

The fight price was so good it made up my mind for me. I think your estimate of 300 to 400 a piece is about right.

Hello -

I flew to SJU from ORD nonstop in late Feb this year on Jet Blue for 274 including bags!! Jet Blue doesn't go out to March 2015 yet. I will be going back to SJU in Sept 2015.

The fight price was so good it made up my mind for me. I think your estimate of 300 to 400 a piece is about right.

Think I'd be better off to wait until the southwest and Jet Blue schedules come out, or not risk the 450 a person I found on u.s airway?

I can't predict the future, but I do know that last fall the cruise lines dropped their rates significantly. Will history repeat itself? Probably - but you have to be flexible on room choice to get the best deal. In Nov 2013 I was able to book Carnival Valor for Late Feb 2014 out of San Juan - 7 dys at a rate of $374each for an outside room. March would have been 40 dollars more.

If this drops again for March 2014 - I will go again even though I have been to these ports (St Thomas, St Martin, St Lucia, St Kitts, Barbados) a few times. These are great stops and the lower port taxes offset the increase flight costs.

I went ahead and booked the AOS for Aruba and Curacao Sept 2015 (when the rates drop) to get the room I wanted. Its not a great deal, but you have to pay more to get what you want sometimes. If the flights are too much year I have until July to back out. You can do the same - book the room you want and then cancel if the flight is too high.

Your call - lots of options

Another option is the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan. The southern routes are so much nicer than the eastern or western IMHO. Prices are very reasonable right now. I have never been on the Jewel but I have been on two other Radiance class ships on the southern routes and loved them. We will be on the Jewel next March for our 5th southern Caribbean cruise.

I see fares for $200-$300.

Each way?

No--RT. yes those are May and June flights for 2014. I know they may be different next year. However, I flew to SJU last April. I looked at flight prices daily [or sometimes more] Jet Blue and Southwest had rates that were very similar. We picked Jet Blue for the flight times.

DH and I bought ours from Jet Blue BWI to SJU for $106 one way [on a repo cruise]. RT was exactly double that [we had decided that if the one way was more expensive we would buy a RT and throw away the second half.] Prices to Chicago were very similar. There was a huge discussion on flight costs on our roll call and we had a whole group from the Chicago area. The best prices left from the Midtown.

Wait for the low cost carriers to release their dates. I was surprised the prices were pretty reasonable.

Good luck.