Volendam (or R-class) OV cabins

swansnz

I’m looking to book a OV on the Volendam, and am confused/concerned about what to book. There will be 3 people in the cabin, so I think the only OV cabins suaitable are on Main/Dolphin.

I do not want any noise, and as little vibration as possible. I have never booked a cabin so low on a ship, so wondered what was under Dolphin deck - might there be noise/vibration on that deck, from machinery/engines below? I’m not concerned about some noise/vibration caused by the thrusters going in/out of port.

On Main deck, is there any noise from the promenade walkway above? Is there any smoking allowed on that deck, which might mean smoke drifting down?

Does anyone know of good/bad cabins on Dolphin or Main decks on the Volendam or a sister ship?

When going through the booking on HAL site, it says category C and DD are partial view rooms – is that correct? Looking at pictures of the ship, I can’t see anything that would obstruct views.

Thanks

I’m looking to book a OV on the Volendam, and am confused/concerned about what to book. There will be 3 people in the cabin, so I think the only OV cabins suaitable are on Main/Dolphin.

I do not want any noise, and as little vibration as possible. I have never booked a cabin so low on a ship, so wondered what was under Dolphin deck - might there be noise/vibration on that deck, from machinery/engines below? I’m not concerned about some noise/vibration caused by the thrusters going in/out of port.

On Main deck, is there any noise from the promenade walkway above? Is there any smoking allowed on that deck, which might mean smoke drifting down?

Does anyone know of good/bad cabins on Dolphin or Main decks on the Volendam or a sister ship?

When going through the booking on HAL site, it says category C and DD are partial view rooms – is that correct? Looking at pictures of the ship, I can’t see anything that would obstruct views.

Thanks

Our experience was in a couple of cabins on the Ryndam, which is similar but not the same as the Volendam. When in a cabin on the Main Deck, we did hear "Thumper" and "Thunderfoot" every time they did laps. Their prime times were early morning and midafternoon siesta time :eek:

Those two were the only walkers we heard in 14 days (but we did hear them twice a day, every day!), and I attribute that to their rather odd walking gait. (We eventually identified them indoors one day by seeing how they walked -- identical to the thumping we heard while in our cabin :D )

Have a look at halfacts.com and see if there are any comments on the area between Dolphin Deck 1852 and 1892 (port side) or 1855 and 1879 (starboard side).... we were in that area on the Ryndam and liked the location. BUT I have no idea if what is underneath those cabins on the Volendam is the same as what was on the Ryndam.

My only "bad" cabin on all my cruises was an aft lower deck on Maasdam. Only time that all the engine vibrations kept me awake - I left that cruise other than well-rested. I loved the ship and the crew and the itinerary (Canada/New England) and all the wonderful port trips we made - just hated the cabin location.

I suggest you book mid-ship or forward and you won't get so much engine noise and vibration.

I have had several cabins on the lowest passenger deck on the Volendam and the Amsterdam (sister to the Rotterdam). I usually book a cabin on the port side, a just aft of the forward staircase. It is a great location as far as I am concerned. Noise has never been a problem.

On one cruise, my cabin was on Main Deck, below Lower Promenade Deck. Footsteps could often be heard from the deck above.

Remember, the closer one is to the bow or stern, the greater the likelihood of noise and vibrations from the thrusters and, in a bow located cabin, the anchor being dropped.

• 2 years later...