Opinions please -- Tipping "extra" to the cabin stewards when sailing solo

CowPrincess

This is not about basic customer service. I never meant to imply an extra tip should be expected for anything. Your comment seems a bit sarcastic. I tipped because I wanted to and because I realize how privileged I am to be able to give a little extra to those who are for the most part a lot worse off than we are and who sacrifice a lot to be able to serve us. The smiles I received in return were worth it.

Of course you can tip extra if you want to. Your original post said you tipped extra "simply" because you were greeted with smiles. Hence, my comment that it is strange that we'd have to tip extra for smiles, which are basic customer service.

Now you're saying that the stewards were smiling because you tipped extra, which is an entirely different thing.

Anyway, this idea of practicing noblesse oblige instead of tipping extra for a job well done rankles with me. (That sentence is not directed only to you, Mrsfrz; plenty of others on this board have expressed similar sentiments.)

And back on topic, as a solo cruiser, I do not double the HSC. Occasionally I tip extra, but only for something really out of the ordinary. And as we've been discussing, HAL's service is generally very ordinary these days.