Opinions please -- Tipping "extra" to the cabin stewards when sailing solo

CowPrincess

In the days before the Hotel Service Charge, that behavior might have been telling, but no longer. To imply that people who don't go to the dining room on the last night are somehow "stiffing" the stewards is unfair at best.

People have already paid their "tips" via the service charge, and should not feel compelled to pay any more unless they want to. It is a choice.

For all you know, they may even have gone to the Front Office and increased the amount of their Hotel Service Charge!

Thank-you RuthC for pointing this out. The very point of the HSC was so passengers would not feel confused or uncomfortable about tipping while on board. It is a shame if many people are avoiding certain experiences or venues because of tipping.

It is a shame if many people are avoiding certain experiences or venues because of tipping.

It's an even bigger shame if someone decides others are avoiding a venue because they aren't tipping.

It's a totally unwarranted judgment ever since the HSC went into effect. I doubt anyone is avoiding the dining room on the last night for this reason anymore.

It's an even bigger shame if someone decides others are avoiding a venue because they aren't tipping.

It's a totally unwarranted judgment ever since the HSC went into effect. I doubt anyone is avoiding the dining room on the last night for this reason anymore.

Point well taken.

On the last few cruises I have been on the MDR is almost empty. Table that were full evey night are empty

Mary

Have seen this as well - in fact we are OFTEN one of those tables. We dine in the PG on the last night quite often now. The menu on the last night is not our favourite in the MDR. It's not hard to pass your extra tips to the waiters the night before ;)

I agree RuthC

I think many simply don't care for the menu on the last night and are dining in other venues (PG, Canaletto or Lido or even room service).

Plus, some people want time to pack ;)

I think many simply don't care for the menu on the last night and are dining in other venues

I know that's my reason!

When it was the Master Chef's Dinner I tried it two or three times. Didn't like it, and booked the Pinnacle for the last night from then on. It became a sort of tradition to end the cruise on that delicious note.

Then, when the International Dinner was introduced, I tried that the first time I had the opportunity. Didn't care for that, either, and went straight back to my "tradition" in the Pinnacle.

However, if I choose to give an envelope to my table stewards, I know enough to do it the day before and give it then. No one has to see me do it, either. I don't need to "show" for the benefit of others.

I would give the equivalent of the 2 person per cabin tip. And if they went above and beyond I would give a little extra.

It's a touchy subject so I'm sure you will get lots of opinions. Do what feels right to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree -- with both statements.

LOVE your idea, Stephen about posting the names on the Daily News. I live in a condominium and get annoyed when owners don't pay their monthly maintenance. Would love to post their names in a public place but we are not allowed to do that. I Cannot tolerate freeloaders. They are the scum of the earth.

If you really believe freeloaders are the "scum of the earth", you've led a very sheltered life.:D

I assume that you leave the "suggested" daily tip on and that you are talking about tipping extra. If this is true, I do not see why you be expected to tip extra for a person who is not there.

Regardless, you have to do what you feel comfortable with, not what others tell you that you should do.

DON

We made the decision during our latest International last night dinner that for the future we would dine in the Pinnacle the final night of a cruise. Then we could have a decent meal.

A few thoughts and questions....

Gentlemen always hold the door open for a lady. At least they still do in Texas.

If the cabin has capacity for four and there is just 2 booked, do you double your tip?

Why are tips more in a suite?

Should cheap inside cabins have a lower tip rate?

If you Tidy up your room, maybe a reduced tip rate should be an option.

A good bar waiter is worth more than a 15% tip when on a cruise.

Why bother with an envelope? You can add tips to your on-board account.

(no need to reply... mostly rhetorical... Just saying...assume some humor here folks)

PS - Don't tell anyone about the dining elsewhere the last night... that is secret for experienced cruisers. :D

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I would guess that the HSC is higher for suites simply because they are larger and take slightly longer to do up in the morning. There are two basins to clean and a shower as well as a tub to look after.

As to the suggestion that a tip might be lowered because one tidies up after oneself, I view the tidying as saving the steward extra work. I do not believe in being messy and then leaving things strewn everywhere for someone else to take care of just because I can. I view being neat as a common courtesy to the stewards and not as a strategy for reducing an extra tip. We tip the same as if we were sloppy. I do the same in hotel rooms.

Edited by sapper1

I often travel solo, and I tip for myself only, but I am generous. I tend to take longer cruises, or b to b cruises, and if that happens, I TRY to tip half in the middle, or I give them their tip before a port that I know they get some time off. I figure they may like to spend it while they are off the ship.

I use my notepaper to write the cabin stewards a thank you note for excellent service, and if I've had the same dining room servers a few times and liked them, I also tip them and anyone else that I think went above and beyond. (Mr or Ms. Ice cream scooper comes to mind :D)

As far as those removing their automatic tips, some cultures don't tip. When I cruised in Australia, there was a huge queue of Aussie's taking their tips off their accounts. I asked my room steward about it when I tipped him and he told me the Hotel Manager had met with them and told them not to worry that their service was poor, it was simply a cultural difference in Oz. I felt sorry for the staff that trip, it was a long cruise, and cruising the same route again, so they already knew they wouldn't be making as much in tips. (I was super generous that time!)

• 2 months later...
Have seen this as well - in fact we are OFTEN one of those tables. We dine in the PG on the last night quite often now. The menu on the last night is not our favourite in the MDR. It's not hard to pass your extra tips to the waiters the night before ;)

I agree RuthC

I think many simply don't care for the menu on the last night and are dining in other venues (PG, Canaletto or Lido or even room service).

Plus, some people want time to pack ;)

I hate the menu on the last night. You'd think HAL would wise up and have a better menu.

I hate the menu on the last night. You'd think HAL would wise up and have a better menu.

So do I. That's when we usually book the PG. And yes we do tip our servers the night before - and we tell them we won't be there for the last night.

So how much is a "normal" extra tip for a two person veranda room? We are going on a 7 day Alaska cruise and I plan on giving the room steward an extra tip at the beginning of the voyage. Is $40 good?

I think that is entirely unnecessary to give a tip at the beginning of the trip. It is implying you expect more and / or specialized service. Further, if you fail to receive even adequate service what was the point of the additional $40? We always tip additional at the end when service is great.

I know I will get flamed for this, but if the stewards do the job they are being paid for, like making the bed and putting clean towels in the bathroom and vacuuming, does that mean you are suppose to tip extra? What do you mean by going beyond their duties? We do not expect them to pick up our clothes or put away items we may leave out. On a number occasions on our last Maasdam cruise I went and got ice. No problem, no fuss it had melted. We don't want to "stiff" them, but if they simply do their job, are they suppose to be rewarded extra for that? Help me understand the logic?

It's not too hard to figure: if your cabin is cleaned and your meals are served reasonably well, the hsc should be sufficient. If your cabin steward seems to go out of his/her way, or if your dining room steward (assuming assigned dining) seems to make an effort to remember your preferences and provide really good service, then additional tips might be appropriate. If, on the other hand, you find the service to be sub par (AND ARE WILLING TO GO ON RECORD EXPLAINING WHAT WAS WRONG) then you should consider removing or reducing the hsc.

My husband and I just returned from sailing the Maasdam. We tipped each of our stewards extra simply because we were always greeted with a smile and warm conversation. What do you who tip extra feel is a good tip for the stewards? Does anyone know what they actually make in salaries and the HSC? Do the waiters make the same? I'm just curious. I can't even imagine what it would be like being on a ship working for so many months of the year with no break.

I think that is entirely unnecessary to give a tip at the beginning of the trip. It is implying you expect more and / or specialized service. Further, if you fail to receive even adequate service what was the point of the additional $40? We always tip additional at the end when service is great.

That makes sense but do you think $40 is a good amount if we've received good service? I have no idea how much they make so I'm not sure.

I used to travel solo and never thought about doubling the HSC. I do give a little extra now and then but it never occurred to me the cabin steward was being slighted because I was solo. I think in the end it works out as there are quit a few cabins with 3 or 4 and those certainly are a larger % of cabins than solo.

A few thoughts and questions....

Gentlemen always hold the door open for a lady. At least they still do in Texas.

If the cabin has capacity for four and there is just 2 booked, do you double your tip?

Why are tips more in a suite?

Larger room and bathroom/verandah that has to be maintained.

Should cheap inside cabins have a lower tip rate?

They do. Hotel service charge on HAL ships is slightly higher for suites.

If you Tidy up your room, maybe a reduced tip rate should be an option.

A good bar waiter is worth more than a 15% tip when on a cruise.

My late DH and I always thought so. He always tipped a bartender who was the little more friendly and eager to please. As I now will cruise on my own, I will continue to do so.

Why bother with an envelope? You can add tips to your on-board account.

Not on HAL. The only check on HAL ships that has a line to add a tip is in Salon/spa. If one is going to tip extra, it is in cash.

(no need to reply... mostly rhetorical... Just saying...assume some humor here folks)

PS - Don't tell anyone about the dining elsewhere the last night... that is secret for experienced cruisers. :D

I know you said no need to answer but for the benefit of some folks who actually want an answer to those questions, I responded to some. :)

My husband and I just returned from sailing the Maasdam. We tipped each of our stewards extra simply because we were always greeted with a smile and warm conversation.

Huh. Now basic customer service deserves extra (on top of the HSC)?

<snip>

Not on HAL. The only check on HAL ships that has a line to add a tip is in Salon/spa. If one is going to tip extra, it is in cash.

I believe you are able to add extra tips to your onboard account. I'm sure I've read that here at some time.

Huh. Now basic customer service deserves extra (on top of the HSC)?

This is not about basic customer service. I never meant to imply an extra tip should be expected for anything. Your comment seems a bit sarcastic. I tipped because I wanted to and because I realize how privileged I am to be able to give a little extra to those who are for the most part a lot worse off than we are and who sacrifice a lot to be able to serve us. The smiles I received in return were worth it.