Royal cancels 1/18/15 sailing

I'm sorry but they are very unneccesary remarks.

Yes, of course there are terrible things going on in the world and tragedy is happening every day. Very sad things are happening.

However, its still very disappointing having a cruise cancelled on you. And yes, it is 6 months out. I know that if that happened to us unless we could book something at the exact same time we would struggle. Both myself and my dh have to book our annual leave a year out and its very difficult to get it together.

So, yes. Lots of sadder things happening in the world but sometimes a holiday could mean everything to some people. Nobody knows anyone's circumstances.

My cat just died. Seriously. On the upside, at least I don't have to hire cat lady anymore to kitty-sit. Can redirect that coin to my bar tab.

Freedom of the seas

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about that cancellation. It happened to us on the NCL Pearl a couple of years ago. We had a cruise booked that was chartered. To a seasoned cruiser we'd roll with the punches and get something else but to someone on their first cruise I can see where it would be upsetting. Ignore the few people who seem snarky, some people say anything behind the comfort of an anonymous keyboard and seem to forget that one time they were new to all this.

The Freedom class ships are great ships so I'd advise booking the Independence on the 8 day Eastern or 6 day Western. You'll be very impressed with the ship and you'll have a great time. We've done the Indy twice and have it booked for 2 additional cruises in the coming years. If you're interested in looking at the Indy I did a recent review with some pictures, I'll post the link if you want to see it.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Thank you all. I appreciate your help.

I came here for help, because I don't know what to expect.

I booked this particular room because I hear its AWESOME. great views and quiet. Everything we all wanted. Just really wanted that room.

Is the type of room you picked available on another ship? Since you were supposed to be on the Freedom, maybe you should give the Allure or Oasis a try. We cruised on the Freedom first then on the Oasis and Allure. We are now going back on the Oasis in a few weeks. Good luck with everything. I hope you are able to find another cruise to go on. I know its a pia, but just think positive that everything happens for a reason and things will turn out for the best for you.

You might actually find a CHEAPER rate right now with the May BOGO going on. We had our Panama Canal cruise cancelled but it worked out really well. We got some OBC to make up for it and we met some of the nicest people ever on the new cruise. We are still in contact with them. Hang in there, your first cruise will be incredible! Deb

But the last time she went to dry dock was in April 2011 if I'm not mistaken

I believe you are correct. I sailed Freedom in late 2010 and then again in September 2011. On the 2011 sailing Freedom had all the new bells and whistles from the Oasis upgrades. Freedom went back into service after drydocking in March 2011. So Freedom should be due for maintenance in 2016. I saw a promotional add (on a different site for C&A Members) for a full ship charter for the Freedom in Jan. 2015 that matches the OP's timeframe. The charter is for the Irish Music event someone else mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edited by Eng23

I just did a search for Freedom's next scheduled dry docking and it is scheduled for maintenance Jan. 10-17 2016.

That would have been the five year schedule, but I wonder if drydock schedules forced Royal to move the maintenance up a year. Freedom has been taken out of the schedule for two weeks and I doubt they'd do full-ship charters two weeks in a row.

Tropical,

Just out of curiosity I googled this cruise for 1/18/15 on the Freedom. This is what I found. This IS or Was to be a "Cruise of the Irish Stars" with Andy Cooney.

Wonder if this cruise turned out to be a charter rather than dry dock? If so, why didn't they tell you?

Nancy

Tropical,

Just out of curiosity I googled this cruise for 1/18/15 on the Freedom. This is what I found. This IS or Was to be a "Cruise of the Irish Stars" with Andy Cooney.

Wonder if this cruise turned out to be a charter rather than dry dock? If so, why didn't they tell you?

Nancy

Good question.

In spoke to a supervisor, a manager and the executive office and all three told me dry docking.

Even though that article is posted online.

CIS15-slide-1-870x400-2.jpg

CIS15-slide-2-870x400-2.jpg

CIS15-slide-3-870x400-2.jpg

CIS15-slide-4-870x400-2.jpg

CIS15-slide-5-870x4001.jpg

Meet the Entertainers

Meet the featured entertainers on the 2015 Cruise of the Irish Stars. All entertainers are subject to change.

Ports of Call

FreedonSeas-287x120.jpg Read About the Ports of Call in the 2015 Cruise of Irish Stars. This year’s cruise will feature four stops in the Caribbean.

Pre-Packaged Hotel

Accommodations have been made for our Cruise of Irish Stars group will be announced soon. Now you will have the option of enjoying a few extra days in sunny and warm Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Above is a copy and paste advertisment of the charter taking place that caused the OP's cancellation.

Edited by Eng23

Good question.

In spoke to a supervisor, a manager and the executive office and all three told me dry docking.

Even though that article is posted online.

Either the folks in the offices at Royal Caribbean are in the dark about the Freedom being chartered or the charter group isn't aware that there might be other plans for the Freedom.

You could take the info that is in my previous post and call Royal back with that charter info. The charter is definitely bookable through the mentioned Travel Agency (CriuseCritic rules prohibit posting this agencies name) handling the charter.

Edited by Eng23

Either the folks in the offices at Royal Caribbean are in the dark about the Freedom being chartered or the charter group isn't aware that there might be other plans for the Freedom.

You could take the info that is in my previous post and call Royal back with that charter info. The charter is definitely bookable through the mentioned Travel Agency (CriuseCritic rules prohibit posting this agencies name) handling the charter.

Maybe RCI doesn't want the cancelled cruisers to be angry knowing a bunch of other people are having a blast on the ship so they are just saying that it is going into dry dock.;):p

We could ALL recall instances where people arent doing well now or are less fortunate.

The OP is new to cruising and is a little upset that her cruise got cancelled. While its not the end of the world for sure, do you REALLY have to be rude?

Agree!

Maybe RCI doesn't want the cancelled cruisers to be angry knowing a bunch of other people are having a blast on the ship so they are just saying that it is going into dry dock.;):p

That could be quite true. :cool: