Port hole VS Inside

hlb76

What do I need to know about booking my first Port hole? We have had plenty on insides and looking at a PH due to the couch vs upper.

I know the location is all the way forward and I know I will have natural light vs no light. Anything else that I should know? Pro's Con's

Not all PH have a couch. I was just in a PH on Paradise, no couch, just a chair, which ended up being a repository for stuff. I loved it tho' - other than the 1000 people lined up down the hall waiting to disembark in port. I was traveling solo, so it was great. Love having the daylight.

Don't know if it's true on all ships, but on Paradise, they sell a PH for the same price as an inside, so why not?... unless you have a thing about being far forward. What ship are you asking about?

Thanks... The Breeze is what I am looking at. The Couch works better than an upper for us. I'm not thrilled about being that far forward or that low in the ship but the natural light will be nice and the price is WAY better than a OV!

I had a porthole room on Freedom four years ago. I am ok with inside rooms, but enjoyed the port holes for the natural light. There was a little extra noticeable motion but not in a bad way, just gentle rocking at night. I was on the Main deck which was just under the theater, so on nights when I was back in the room early, there was "some" noise from above, but nothing terrible, and it was quiet after the last show ended. Did hear the waves hitting the bow some nights as well, but I got accustomed to it quickly. Heard loud noise when docking in ports, but Im an early riser, so again no biggie for me. I would book one again if available.:)

I can't speak to the Breeze (though surely others here can), but I also was concerned about being so low. I was on Riviera so no noise from above, but you hear it lowering anchor and/or going into port. Like the post above, I'm also an early riser, so that wasn't an issue for me. As for movement, there was just a little swaying at times but we had calm seas. I found it pretty soothing actually (also like the poster above!). I would say the biggest downside - if this is a consideration - is the distance from aft services and activities. Still, I got a lot of walking in, so that's an upside for me.

There are your pros & cons. :) Reviews of the Breeze on here may answer some of your questions.

My feeling is if you are okay being forward (which is still 50-100 feet from the bow of the ship), a PH beats an inside any day... :rolleyes:

Edited by bailey57

It looks like on Breeze the PT rooms have couches. We have almost always had a PT room except maybe our first cruise. I love the natural light and usually the room is behind and below the stage. We always get the ones on main deck because it is only a deck up to dining and show lounge (on most ships), but I see on Breeze on Riveria they hold 3 people, so for sure there would be a couch. The price is right and no matter what people say about movement, the whole ship moves together you might just be the first to notice it when a wave hits.

HI all!

I had cabin 2217 on the Breeze & it had a single bed & a couch which since I was travelling solo didn't try to see if it pulled out. I liked having the windows & big ledge for my towel animals.;) Had no problem with being low or forward. This time I'm trying a cove balcony. Love the different categories Carnival has!

~ Jo ~ :)

What do I need to know about booking my first Port hole? We have had plenty on insides and looking at a PH due to the couch vs upper.

I know the location is all the way forward and I know I will have natural light vs no light. Anything else that I should know? Pro's Con's

I would go for the port hole myself. And who knows, you might get a price drop and an upgrade to OV or even balcony if you are lucky. Watch the prices!

We have book port hole room on Fantasy class ships. They are great value for the money. Yes your forward and can feel the ship move. Rocks me to sleep. Can be noisy when coming into a port early in the morning. Bow thrusters make a great alarm clock. we are both early risers so it was not an issue for us. Movement and noises are a gentle reminder you're on a ship. I would not hesitate to book a porthole in the future.

I did a pothole room on the Triumph on the Riviera deck. Haven't booked a regular interior when cruising

solo since. I'm on the Magic in September and once again I've book another PH room. The little bit of

natural light really makes a difference. I never noticed any noises at all.

One added plus .... finding our room is a breeze. All the way down and all the way forward.

Also you are among the first to disembark. I love these rooms. Also on one side is the crew quarters.

You bang on the wall they are going to respond.:p

good luck,

rustin

Edited by jtwanabe

Thanks... The Breeze is what I am looking at. The Couch works better than an upper for us. I'm not thrilled about being that far forward or that low in the ship but the natural light will be nice and the price is WAY better than a OV!

I would probably book 2220 or 2221, at least your not on the bottom deck and a little distance back.

We usually book Balcony but received one of those free cabin offers and had to decide between inside or porthole.

We chose inside as

1) I love having complete darkness in the room when I'm trying to sleep

2) we don't spend much time in the room anyway

3) we could be on the 7th floor and closer to the decks we usually hang out in

Edited by LuckyZ

I had a porthole on the Dream on the Riveria deck for B2B cruises. I LOVED IT!

The location was great - not too far from the forward elevators stairs. Made getting off at Ports super easy because it was just one set of stairs down and people actually let us in because they could see that we were coming from the cabins (not getting off on 1 on the elevators). And of course, getting back to the cabin after a Port day was again super easy.

There is movement upfront but I prefer it to the shaking in the AFT. It is a nice rocking movement and it really helped with getting to sleep.

Tons of room (compared to other insides) because it was 220 sq feet.

The only time I felt that we were "too far away" was going from the cabin to the steakhouse on the Dream (because it's at the very top at the very back) but that's not an issue on the Breeze because they moved the steakhouse.

To get to the buffet, I'd go up the forward elevators, and cross the pool deck. By breaking it up like that, it didn't feel like too long of a walk (even when going for Tandoori or the Deli) and frankly, I'm a lazy person so if I was okay with it, the average person will have no issues.

I did it I booked our first Porthole cabin. I am still hoping to get into a Deluxe Ocean Veiw so we have 2 bathrooms but other than that I think we will stay. I've never had one so I migght as well give it a try. We have had many insides, a suite, a OV and our first balcony coming up. Why not keep trying to see what we like best?

We stayed in a Main deck porthole cabin on the Breeze, 2221. It was great, definitely would have been fine for 3 of us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app