Grills?

Tess of the Sea

On one of my transatlantics a met a Queen's Grill person of whom it is well known that he made his fortune by immoral/illegal means and been to prison as well. What I couldn't understand was why Cunard put him on that "special list" of passengers than have private lunches with the captain etc. I would think there are far more deserving passengers to put on the "list".

And of course Geoffrey Archer, QG alumni and former jailbird.

I think this thread is hysterical! However I would add to your survey question as to whether the passenger earned his/her money through illegal means. A former drug dealer? An ex-hooker? We shared a table in the Britannia with a former pole dancer, and I swear, her boy friend looked like English Mafia!

It's not actually illegal to be a hooker in the UK!!!! (And not a lot of people know that.)

On one of my transatlantics a met a Queen's Grill person of whom it is well known that he made his fortune by immoral/illegal means and been to prison as well. What I couldn't understand was why Cunard put him on that "special list" of passengers than have private lunches with the captain etc. I would think there are far more deserving passengers to put on the "list".

Has Geoffrey Archer the novelist ever been in prison? Are you mixing him up with the novelist Jeffrey Archer?

Look forward to my upcoming Grills experience. Got my cabin assignment today, 5 weeks from sailing. Got a decent upgrade from Q6 to Q5. Even better is I'm a couple of decks up from the lifeboats - unimpeded views! Such a shame it is only for 2 nights.

On one of my transatlantics a met a Queen's Grill person of whom it is well known that he made his fortune by immoral/illegal means and been to prison as well. What I couldn't understand was why Cunard put him on that "special list" of passengers than have private lunches with the captain etc. I would think there are far more deserving passengers to put on the "list"..........

There's not much access to terrestrial TV or newspapers on board and I'm willing to bet the senior crew aren't big on social media either. Maybe they just thought he was that well mannered, polite chap in the Q1?

Or maybe they fancied a bit more entertainment. You can't ask the average QG guest about their time working for Ronnie and Reggie.

Does anyone know if there are 2 bottles of sprits in Queens Grill (Q5) as well on short cruises (4 days)?

Cheerio

Dennis

Others have posted on similar threads in the recent past that you get one bottle for a short voyage. I've yet to find out - only 34 days to go and I can say for sure!

I think you can choose soft drinks instead of alcohol in Grills too. Anyone know if this is true? There is no way I'll drink a whole bottle of whiskey on my own in 2 days!

15 years ago we travelled back from NY on QE2 in Queens Grill. Every afternoon I used to take tea in the QG lounge with an elderly lady who was a member of the British Aristocracy - one afternoon another lady joined us who did not stop gloating over her regular visits to the Captain's Table.

When she left, Lady M turned to me and asked "my dear, why would one be so happy that they are forced to eat with the hired help?"

Priceless! In her world, there was obviously no distinction between rank or job title, below stairs was below stairs!

It takes all sorts & thank goodness for that. The world would be a much duller place & I wouldn't have such fond memories of a few afternoon teas experiencing a completely different ethos to what I was used to.

Others have posted on similar threads in the recent past that you get one bottle for a short voyage. I've yet to find out - only 34 days to go and I can say for sure!

I think you can choose soft drinks instead of alcohol in Grills too. Anyone know if this is true? There is no way I'll drink a whole bottle of whiskey on my own in 2 days!

We had a two bottle combo on a five day jaunt, but that was a while ago. You can give us the answer soon.

The 'two bottle/one bottle' does not have to be spirits, it can be wine, wine and a spirit or two bottles of spirits.

Your choice.. There will be a card by your 'welcome on board' bumpf for you to fill in.

The fridge will already have sodas in it, as well as some beer but you can specify brands. We request diet coke, low cal tonic and non alcohol beer as well as Peroni. Your butler will see to it for you.

When she left, Lady M turned to me and asked "my dear, why would one be so happy that they are forced to eat with the hired help?"

Priceless! In her world, there was obviously no distinction between rank or job title, below stairs was below stairs!

Well I'm not a member of the British aristocracy and that has been my attitude since we started cruising ten years ago!

... Lady M turned to me and asked "my dear, why would one be so happy that they are forced to eat with the hired help?" ...
A great line, but I like Onslow's version best. You can hear it 3:00 minutes into this 4:33 long Keeping Up Appearances video.

A great line, but I like Onslow's version best. You can hear it 3:00 minutes into this 4:33 long Keeping Up Appearances video.

Oh thank you so much for this link! Maybe Onslow had met Lady M as well!

I do remember watching this years ago but had forgotten that bit perhaps because I was too busy watching Mrs B & comparing her to the many 'ladies' that passed through tea time during those heady days.

Now that was when hats & white gloves (on the ladies as well as the waiters!) were in abundance. Certainly haven't seen those for a fair while!

Must do some digging & find out if this is where the term 'tea dress' came from, certainly the a la mode for beloved Mrs B!

Thanks again for the chuckle!

Is afternoon tea provided in the Grills lounge on QM2 on embarkation days?

The 2 times we did the Grills, we never checked. We were too busy running around the ship(gee, not like we never did in the past!)& getting things situated. I'd suspect they probably do have afternoon tea. With most like us running about, you'd probably have the Queens Grill Lounge to yourselves!

On one of our first cruises in the 90s we were shown to a seat at breakfast. A lady and gentleman were already sitting at the table.

The lady announced, "You can`t sit there. That`s the Captain` seat"

When she realised that we had been put there by the waiter she was fine. We had a really interesting conversation with them. They were an elderly couple who used to voyage back and forward from India on furlow. We saw them on our tour to Jerusalem. He was the only gentleman to wear a jacket in the searing heat in August.

It never has been on any of the ships when I've been aboard. But, as a compensation, you do get lunch in the restaurant.

Jane

I'm looking forward to lunch in Queens Grill on embarkation day. Is it a proper lunch, or a half hearted meal/menu?

I'm looking forward to lunch in Queens Grill on embarkation day. Is it a proper lunch, or a half hearted meal/menu?

Proper lunch. And, of course, it gives you a chance to check you are on the sort of table you want.

Jane