Photo ID required when re-boarding ?

The port authorities require a photo ID to let you in to the secured zone of the port, and also in many of the port cities everyone is supposed to carry a photo ID just in case something "happens".

For the ship itself you don't need any photo ID after your check-in the first day, since the picture they took of you then will be popping up on the ship security officer's computer screen every time you swipe your ship card.

There is another school of thought that says you should keep a copy of your passport in your cabin, but take your passport with you in the unlikely event you do not make it back to the ship, are arrested, or some other emergency arises and you wind up in a foreign country sans passport or visa. I like to let the passport locked up on the ship on beach days, but carry it off the ship on other days.

We plan on traveling with passports as our primary ID and I would prefer not to leave the ship with them unless required by immigration?

Question is - will we have shipboard IDs or will we require our passports to get back on the ship at ports of call ?

Almost any port, anywhere in the world, has to abide by the ISPS Code (International Ship and Port Facility Security Code) from the IMO, which requires port areas to be secure facilities, and to limit access. The security guard at the port gate has a passenger manifest, and will check your photo ID against the manifest to confirm the name, and the photo to your mug to confirm the person. This has nothing to do with the documents you need to re-enter the US, like your passport, so any photo ID is fine. While in the ports, you are considered to be transit personnel, so they don't really look at your documentation too closely.

Take your passport with you in the unlikely event you do not make it back to the ship, are arrested, or some other emergency arises and you wind up in a foreign country sans passport or visa.

It's not a great idea to bring your passport ashore unless you absolutely have to (and in most cases for most itineraries you don't). Leave it in your cabin. If for some reason you can't make it back to the ship on time, NCL's policy is to send security to search your cabin for your passport and then leave it with their local shipping agent before departing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is another school of thought that says you should keep a copy of your passport in your cabin, but take your passport with you in the unlikely event you do not make it back to the ship, are arrested, or some other emergency arises and you wind up in a foreign country sans passport or visa. I like to let the passport locked up on the ship on beach days, but carry it off the ship on other days.

Stolen passports are worth a lot of money on the black market, sometimes thousands of dollars. We always leave it on the ship locked up. If you do not make it back to the ship for any reason, sick, jail or drunk, the cruise line will retrieve your passport/s and leave them with the ships agent. If there is ever a port that requires you to carry a passport ashore the cruise line will inform you.

Do they accept a photocopy of your passport - or only the real deal ?

who is "they"?

You don't need it to get onto the ship

You generally need a real ID to get through the port security, although some lazy or lenient guards might allow it

You need a real passport, not a copy, to fly home in case of emergency

Edited by sdmike

what about kids? what do they need. I don't want to carry around their passports and they don't have a license

If you have passports, take a copy of the first page. Otherwise, those who travel the BC/DL route, no photo ID is required for embark, so the ISPS rules figure that anyone under 16 is (wishful thinking, perhaps) not a terrorist, hijacker or other ne'er do well. Now, if you are trying to smuggle another rug rat, ankle biter, or teen-age eating machine out of that country (my 3 boys are all grown, thank you), you could probably get away with it.

I keep a copy of the photo page of my passport in my wallet. I lock my passport up in my room safe.

I do this exact same thing! Also, Before leaving for my cruises I always get a prepaid Visa card and put money on it and carry it with me off of the ship incase of emergencies only. For instance, if I got left for any reason, I would have money to fly out of the island I'm currently stuck on. I don't carry a lot of cash with me off of the ship and I don't carry any of my debit or credit cards. My biggest fear is not having the funds to get out of the situation I might be in.

Once I board the ship, there's 3 things I put in my safe and don't touch until the morning of disembarkation...1)Passport. 2)Wallet. 3)Cell Phone.

177 more days until I set sail on Getaway and just talking about all of this gets me so excited! LOL!

Just to clarify.....So they will accept a license / copy of front page of the passport for me and hubby. For the kids (17,17 and 12) just a copy of front page of passport is ok? I looked at getting a passport card but don't want to spend the money if not needed.

Just to clarify.....So they will accept a license / copy of front page of the passport for me and hubby. For the kids (17,17 and 12) just a copy of front page of passport is ok? I looked at getting a passport card but don't want to spend the money if not needed.

Yes, that should be sufficient enough to board the ship. And of course, the keycards. =)

You shouldn't need photo ID to get onto your ship

They already have your picture in their computer when you sign it at embarkation

Most of the islands I have been on have required me to show a photo ID before even boarding the ship along with the keycard. Rather it be my license, or a copy of the first page of my passport, it's always good to have one.

I would suggest taking it just to be on the safe side.

You shouldn't need photo ID to get onto your ship

They already have your picture in their computer when you sign it at embarkation

That's true at the gangway, but to get into the port area, or on the dock, most places (and all should) have security (port, not ships) checking ID's against the manifest. Even in Hawaii, on the POA, where the cruise never leaves the state of Hawaii, you have to show a photo ID to enter the dock area.

Edited by chengkp75

Just to be exact. They require a government issued photo id. DL/ID, military id. If you're not sure if they will accept a photocopy I would talk to a security officer onboard or ask the security officer at the port gate before you exit. The port guard would know the most. But remember if one person says ok to the photocopy that same person may not be on duty when you return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by lwrandall