New York Hotel + Free Parking ideas?

Hello - We're looking to catch the NCL Breakaway in July and looking for a hotel with free parking and transportation suggestions. Were driving from Ottawa Canada by way of Syracuse and Binghampton on the 81, then crossing over on the 380 / 80.

I've done a bit of research and have found 2 options so far:

• The Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus/Meadowlands offers free parking for the week with an overnight stay. I have to call to confirm since I only found one post on this one.

• Port Imperial / Weehawken @ 11$ a day + ferry cost as a last resort.

Ultimately I'd like a hotel under 200$, with free parking for the week and cheap transportation to the port by bus, subway, hotel shuttle, anything works. We have plenty of time to kill since were driving up a day before.

I'm also willing to drive out of our way to get what were after.

Thanks!

No NJ hotels will have shuttles that will take you into NYC for free.

Any of the hotels in the Secaucus area (may also say Meadowlands or Lyndhurst) would be OK (should be $4.00 per person, each way...)

You CAN likely get to the Secaucus Junction New Jersey transit station and hop into NY Penn station, then get a cab to the pier (cab should be 10-12 bucks or so plus tip...depends on traffic..)

http://www.njtransit.com

There are lots of hotels in the Secaucus area and some might take you to the rail station.

As for free parking for a week or so, you'd need to arrange that with the hotel.

There are many choices, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott (there are at least 2 in the area), Hyatt Place, Residence Inn, Renaissance.....

When in July?

And since you're suggesting that you'd take mass transit, I would presume you are OK with hauling your luggage (though both those stations have elevators and escalators....)

That's a start....

You're arriving on a Saturday so that should help with price. Take a look around and see if anything stands out, then we can offer more advice.

STAY AWAY from anything called MOTOR INN, !!

Also, Best Westerns are icky here, as are many Ramadas...(some are OK though..)

Most hotels in Seacaucus should have free parking with a stay, and they MAY allow you to park for a longer time period.

Allow at least an hour to get from the hotel to the ship, preferably 90 minutes or so...you never know when the rail system will flake out due to track work, downed power lines, broken down equipment or what ever...

It doesn't happen often but you know that when you need to be someplace, something will go amiss!! (The last couple times I have taken NJ Transit I've been delayed 20-30 minutes... :eek:)

Were looking at the July 6th or July 13th cruise, playing the last minute waiting game to get a better price.

A small cost for a shuttle is definitely fine, I'd like to avoid a high taxi fare or car service.

We visited New York last year and stayed in the Financial District for 5 days using public transportation to get around, so I know what were getting ourselves into by dragging our luggage in the subway.

Thanks for the pointers on the time.

I'll look around for hotels and stay away from the ones you mentioned, see if I can find long term parking at one of them.

Thanks for all the pointers!

The words free parking and New York City are never used together in the same sentence!;)

With a car, the Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus/Meadowlands might be the OP's best bet.

And parking at the Port Imperial parking garage for $11 is a genuine bargain, compared to the cost of parking at the pier--or anywhere in Manhattan, for that matter.

The words free parking and New York City are never used together in the same sentence!;)

With a car, the Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus/Meadowlands might be the OP's best bet.

And parking at the Port Imperial parking garage for $11 is a genuine bargain, compared to the cost of parking at the pier--or anywhere in Manhattan, for that matter.

FYI...the Port Imperial garage costs $15 per day...and the parking lot $13. You're staying past the 2 am nightly cutoff for discounted rates.

If and when you find a hotel in Manhattan that offers free parking (and the room is not $500 a night or more).....PLEASE POST!!!!!!

Actually, The Travel Inn at 515 West 42nd Street offers free parking (but only while you're staying there; after that, you need to find parking or go to NJ while you're on your cruise) and is currently (like, tonight) $250. They also have a pool, and it's a very safe neighborhood (cop shop directly across the street) a block from where I live. Easy walk to Times Square and Broadway and off-Broadway theaters. Their website is: thetravelinnhotel.com

FYI...the Port Imperial garage costs $15 per day...and the parking lot $13. You're staying past the 2 am nightly cutoff for discounted rates.

There you go--a lesson for the OP: The words free and parking are almost never used in the same sentence in this area. And (second lesson)... parking prices only go up, not down. Without warning.:eek::D

(Personally, I don't park in any of these places--because, whenever I can help it, I don't drive in New York or New Jersey, but get around by public transportation. Of course, that means I have to travel light.:))

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn, East Rutherford last May. Parking was free and the hotel had great rates (?maybe $115, we stayed 2 nights pre cruise and also used points). It did take a bit longer to get to Port Authority than I thought, about 40 minutes but it was really easy and then a $6 cab to the pier- you could also walk but it was raining last year. We find it easy to use transit/subways from previous trips and don't mind having our bags with us, we travelling with carry on type bags only. There are other Marriott's nearby too, also with free parking. We have also stayed at the Sheraton Weehawken and it can be a good deal depending on what they charge for parking, it has fluctuated on previous stays- once we weren't even charged. Port Imperial is also a good choice, depending where you stay the night before.

You could stay at the Hilton on Staten Island. They do offer free parking for cruise passengers. There is a shuttle to the SI ferry. Ferry to NYC is free and then take a cab to the ship. Do the reverse after the cruise. Just be comfortable with a bit of luggage carrying.