Carnival Valor and Jewel of the Seas: Compare and Contrast?

I sailed on the Valor in March and I'm doing it again next month. I am toying with the idea of sailing on the Jewel in January, where there's currently a decent rate on a cabin that I find acceptable.

On the surface, both trips and ships look comparable:

* Both last 7 days

* Both sail from San Juan

* Both leave San Juan late (the Valor is later)

* Both visit the Eastern and Southern Caribbean islands

* Both were launched in 2004

* Both generally get good reviews here and elsewhere

* Both have food as a potential weak spot. I happen to agree on the Valor, keeping in mind that "weak" is relative to everything else, which I thought was very strong.

But there are some differences of note:

* The Valor holds somewhat more passengers (about 3000 vs. about 2500)

* The Jewel visits different islands in a different order every week, while the Valor visits the same islands in the same order week after week

* RCI suggests more formal attire. One day is smart casual, which they define as jacket & tie. Two days are formal, which is defined as suit or tux. I'm not bringing a tie or jacket, so I guess I'll be getting familiar with the Jammer.

So... I guess I'm asking two sets of questions:

* For those of you who have done both sets of cruises, how would YOU compare and contrast your experiences? Did you find one distinctly better than the other? Why or why not?

* For those of you who have ONLY done the Jewel, how was your experience?

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

I have not been on either ship. But I do prefer Carnival to NCL. NCL seems just a step below Carnival in services and way below in food. The shows were better on NCL.

I think the OP was referring to RCI Jewel of the Seas

I like RCI and I would go if the price was right. Usually RCI is 50-75% higher for so we stick with carnival. RCI is a little better all around product but not that kind of price difference better.

The only draw back for RCI cruises out of San Juan is the dock they use. There is really nothing there and you have to take a taxi back into town.

I like just walking off the ship into town with carnival.

We have sailed on Radiance and Brilliance. Radiance class ships are beautiful inside and out, Although they are on the small side of RCCL ships they never seem crowded or full. We favor RCL over Carnival because of it's laid back atmosphere and dressier evenings. We have been on 6 Mexican cruises, 4 RCL and 2 Carnival, and found Carnival to have double the kids and partiers.

Ok,

So you have been on the Valor. So have we, and we loved our cruise.

The ship was Ok, but the ports of call is what made the trip more special.

We have done RCI cruises also and as some here mention, they are a small step above Carnival, and less of a party crowd.

Unless you really love going back to each of the same ports, I would not go with Valor.

I would choose the ports that I like best to see, and then go with the Jewel and have fun exploring.