Alaska 4th of July

debnjoe1438

Looking at dates for an Alaska Cruise Tour next year (2015). Does anyone know if the ships are close enough to land to see fireworks on the 4th? I was looking at the itinerary and the NCL Sun is scheduled for Ketchikan until 8pm on July 4 2015.

if you google the towns name with 4th of july, you'll find info on their parade and fireworks display. Due to the long daylight hours some towns have parades and festivities during the day and fireworks are at midnight. ie I think Seward has their fireworks at midnight on the 3rd, going into the 4th

You mentioned you will be in Ketchikan on the 4th. We were there on the 4th and it was sort of a pain. The whole town came to downtown for the parade and the downtown area was incredibly crowded and I wasn't impressed with the parade (though, I am not into parades where I live either). If I were you, I would plan a tour that gets you out of the downtown area.

Seward fireworks are at 12:01am. So you would start your 4th with fireworks rather than ending it. I will be on the July 4th SB Radiance cruise. From my reading seems like Seward will be very crowded on 7/3 and 7/4, not sure it's ideal, but it fit our schedule. It also falls into a " holiday" sailing category.

Laura
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='mollanjake']Seward fireworks are at 12:01am. So you would start your 4th with fireworks rather than ending it. I will be on the July 4th SB Radiance cruise. From my reading seems like Seward will be very crowded on 7/3 and 7/4, not sure it's ideal, but it fit our schedule. It also falls into a " holiday" sailing category.

Laura
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thanks for the info :)

[quote name='Coral']You mentioned you will be in Ketchikan on the 4th. We were there on the 4th and it was sort of a pain. The whole town came to downtown for the parade and the downtown area was incredibly crowded and I wasn't impressed with the parade (though, I am not into parades where I live either). If I were you, I would plan a tour that gets you out of the downtown area.[/QUOTE]

damn those locals, why don't they stay at home.

[quote name='bottom-dragger']damn those locals, why don't they stay at home.[/QUOTE]

Sorry! It was pretty difficult to just cross the street. I did try to get interested when a bunch of people were looking into the creek at Creek Street. Hoping to see some real sea life, I was sadly disappointed to find a rubber ducky race. We have rubber ducky races back home, I don't need to go to Alaska for that :)

Again, I am not a fan of our parades back home either. Edited by Coral

[quote name='happymoes']We were in Juno for the 4th of July on the Norweigan Sun....GREAT parade but mostly everything was closed. NO fireworks....:([/QUOTE]

We will be in Juneau on the 4th this year. We're taking the Tracy Arm excursion from the ship and will arrive there late afternoon. When you say everything was closed, did that include restaurants and shops? We were hoping to grab something to eat and take a cab to Mendenhall for a short visit after the excursion. How do you think this will affect our plans? TIA