Early Monte Carlo Disembarking Question

BarbaraB2

The Riviera cruise we are considering will end in Monte Carlo on Saturday, November 8. Has anyone had problems disembarking here at 6AM? We are hoping to book a 9 AM flight out of Nice and hope that the lighter weekend traffic will get us to the airport with time to spare.

Thanks!

Much too close. The ship may arrive late, has to be cleared, there has been discussion of how difficult it is to get taxis in MC, etc, etc.

I would get a later flight and not spend all that time stressed out and worried about missing the flight.

JMO.

I wouldn't do this. There is no guarantee you would be off the ship till 0800 especially if there is bad weather when they dock and in November that is somewhat likely.

If your flight is bound for the US from Nice then you need to be there at least 2 and maybe 3hrs before. Traffic won't be bad on a Saturday morning but nonetheless I would leave myself an hour to get to the airport which is on the other side of Nice.

that is very risky

i never would do it

once on silver shadow the ship could not enter Monte carlo caused by some extremely strong winds

deviation an several hours delay ....

i had 2PM and it was a hurry ...

and the Riviera cannot enter Nice at all -

The Riviera cruise we are considering will end in Monte Carlo on Saturday, November 8. Has anyone had problems disembarking here at 6AM? We are hoping to book a 9 AM flight out of Nice and hope that the lighter weekend traffic will get us to the airport with time to spare.

Thanks!

Is the ship overnighting in Monte Carlo? If yes, then I am also assuming the ship is docked not tendered. If this is the case, then you can walk off the ship with your luggage. Check with Oceania about the docking vs tendering and ask how early you can leave the ship. If they say anytime then arrange car servie to pick you up at the dock and take you to the airport to arrive 3 hours before if it is international flight.

There are a few factors which made me consider this flight in lieu of the possible concerns. For instance, the Riviera is scheduled to arrive the day before disembarking which may be in our favor. Also, the flight is not an international flight but is going to London to connect and we wouldn't need to be there three hours beforehand. And lastly, Saturday traffic should be lighter in November reducing the time to get to the airport.

With that said, my biggest concern is disembarking when we are tendered! Since we have never been in that situation, I don't know what to expect.

Has anyone experienced it?

Looking at your itinerary, Nov. 8 is "turn-around" day. As such, the ship will be docked- never heard of using tenders to offload (and embark) 1200 people + luggage. It also looks like Riviera is the only ship in port on the 7th & 8th. That said, I would suspect the tendering notation for the 7th may be in error. Worst case is there is another ship in port on the 7th, but leaves in the afternoon of the 7th; and Riviera moves into the dock. A quick call to your TA or O will clear up the confusion.

The real issue IMO is getting a taxi at 6am or so and the related cost. Taxis in MC are very expensive and scarce. A second mortgage may be in order.

Edited by kiawahdon

Private transportation is a must. There are few cabs at the port in Monte Carlo.

That said - we were unable to dock in Monte Carlo this last November due to high swells. We actually went to Villefrance and were tendered in for the day. The turnaround for the next cruise was Barcelona.

We have sailed in/out of Monte Carlo several times in November and the weather is a huge factor.

As long as you dock the night before there should be no problem. (I didn't realise this is the case!) we had a similar situation in Venice in 2010 (on what we and others refer to as the "ash cruise" due to the eruption in Iceland and the shutting down of air travel all over Europe). We were on Regent but the procedure should be the same... tell Destination Services you need to disembark at whatever time and have a car waiting for you.