What's the low down on the coffee on board?

Just off Brilliance and I used self serve coffee station on the way to WJ and I thought it was good and could take Dunkin or Green Mountain or it was Green Mountain for a run! I did it as hot or cold! I had no fv but made do! It was very drinkable to me.

I love my mocha. At home every day, I mix hot chocolate with my cup o joe. I find the cruise coffee terrible, even with adding the hot chocolate.

DH insists I get a cafe mocha at Starbucks each morning as I do not function properly if not fully caffeinated. Since we don't drink alcohol, the cost of coffee is a small price for everyone to have a good, Mommy had her coffee day. :D

OP - I guess that you learned that opinions on cruise coffee can vary greatly! :) You will get the same varied opinions on most (if not all) of the cruise line boards.

For what it's worth, I find it to be drinkable and I drink my coffee black. As others have said, it can vary throughout the ship. If it is too "strong" tasting, I add a little hot water.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I do love good coffee and fortunately in Austin I have a place I go to get my beans the day they are roasted and grind them and brew them within a week.

I know that I can't possibly get that kind of coffee on the ship but was wondering how it was prepared and if that changes based on where you get it. Frankly I don't like the Via coffee either and would prefer something brewed fresh. I have high hopes that I can get something somewhat drinkable in the MDR.

I might do the French press thing. I don't own one but it probably would be a good investment. I use a Technivorm right now and am kind of spoiled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might want to check out an Aeropress. It makes a supreme tasty cup. That was my next option next to the Via. I'm trying to avoid packing all these extra things. Apparently we need to pack limes now as well. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I might do the French press thing. I don't own one but it probably would be a good investment.

I don't have one but I've seen travel French Presses at World Market (I'm sure they are many other places). I have no idea how well they work but it might be worth a try. My regular French Press is glass which I would hesitate to bring.

The Travel Press was less than $20.

Edited by galavant3

I will have to check out the travel press. I have a friend that has an aero press and loves it. I might have to get one of those.

Can you order hot water from room service? Is it available elsewhere like the windjammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will have to check out the travel press. I have a friend that has an aero press and loves it. I might have to get one of those.

Can you order hot water from room service? Is it available elsewhere like the windjammer?

While I've not specifically ordered hot water from room service, I have ordered hot tea which comes with tea bags and a container of hot water. I imagine they can send the hot water without the tea.

Hot water is also available from Windjammer and Cafe Promenade.

While I've not specifically ordered hot water from room service, I have ordered hot tea which comes with tea bags and a container of hot water. I imagine they can send the hot water without the tea.

Hot water is also available from Windjammer and Cafe Promenade.

Thanks!

I guess I'll grind a ton of coffee the night before we leave to the port. Or I will do it at the store the night before. My grinder is to much of a mess to pack.

OP - Just wanted to say that while the coffee on RCI is hit or miss as folks have said, in comparison to Disney I think you'll find the coffee is sooooo much better. Disney - and DCL - has the deep true luvs for that Nescafe concentrate crap, as I'm sure you well know. :p Anything is a step up from that, so if you're comparing the two you'll most likely be much happier with RCI, even if it doesn't meet coffee snob standards. ;)

Edited by crazy4themouse

OP - Just wanted to say that while the coffee on RCI is hit or miss as folks have said, in comparison to Disney I think you'll find the coffee is sooooo much better. Disney - and DCL - has the deep true luvs for that Nescafe concentrate crap, as I'm sure you well know. :p Anything is a step up from that, so if you're comparing the two you'll most likely be much happier with RCI, even if it doesn't meet coffee snob standards. ;)

Agreed.

Disney should be ashamed for what they pass off as coffee!

Life is too short for bad coffee!!

jayblue RCCL cruiser

I didn't think the coffee was bad. Not great, but not bad. What I found weird was that I couldn't get iced coffee anywhere, not even for an upcharge. You could pay extra at Cafe Promenade and get iced espresso drinks--but no plain iced coffee. They offered to put iced cubes in my hot coffee, but that's not quite the same...

Yes we know about the concentrate and it is truly horrible. What we found on our last cruise though is if we go to a restaurant the coffee is actually quite decent. The reason I found it is the waiter in Palo was actually saying how it wasn't a genuine Italian meal without coffee. So we ordered some and it was really good. I asked him what type it was and he said it was "Nescafe" but a special roast for Palo and they brewed it instead of it being from concentrate. Then we realized in the MDR they also have brewed coffee that was pretty good too. Room service tasted like the drink station coffee which is the concentrate.

Hopefully RCCL is truly better and I won't have to go through the effort with doing my own thing. I'll bring the stuff along just in case :)

Agreed.

Disney should be ashamed for what they pass off as coffee!

Life is too short for bad coffee!!

jayblue RCCL cruiser

I agree! Plus once you have tried some really decent coffee you get really particular when you have bad coffee. For me it shouldn't be like taking medicine to get some coffee in the morning.

I thought I was a proper coffee snob with my like of Starbuck's. Obviously, I could use lessons. ;)

LOL! OH my goodness, too funny. :D

It is low down terrible. Bitter. I do not put sugar in my coffee at home, but do on a cruise! You will see a huge line at Dunkin Donuts at Ft Lauderdale airport when you disembark.

Agreed - I put Splenda in my coffee onboard and in fact one of our cruises the coffee was so awful that I switched to tea half way through. :p

As most have said, coffee in the MDR is not so bad. Usually very hot, which is important to us. Room service and WJ, not so good. Now, here's our dilemma - we are hooked on our half and half. We used to be able to order it through room service, but obviously it's another cost-cutting victim. They do still serve it in the MDR. So......this last cruise, I simply walked out of the MDR with one of the little pitchers and kept it in the stateroom fridge.

As most have said, coffee in the MDR is not so bad. Usually very hot, which is important to us. Room service and WJ, not so good. Now, here's our dilemma - we are hooked on our half and half. We used to be able to order it through room service, but obviously it's another cost-cutting victim. They do still serve it in the MDR. So......this last cruise, I simply walked out of the MDR with one of the little pitchers and kept it in the stateroom fridge.

Haha talk about problem solving. I will give the MDR coffee a try.

That is interesting thanks!

• 1 month later...
So you can get the "free" coffee in MDR, Windjammer and Cafe Promenade?

Other "free" drinks are water and lemonade? Is this correct?

Cheers

With regard to Cafe Promenade, you can get coffee, hot tea, and water for sure. I've seen iced tea and lemomade in Cafe Promenade rarely.

It depends on what your definition of quality is. If like most Americans you think Starbucks is quality, which tastes burnt and is incredibly over rated IMO, than you might not like the coffee on board.

On the other hand if you enjoy a solid cup of Joe, think local diner or coffee shop, you will be pleased with the coffee.