Tips/Advice for Infant Traveling

I'm debating on purchasing a last minute cruise for this Mother's Day Weekend on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas to the Bahamas. It would be me, my 9 month old and my mom traveling together. I have a few questions and would love any other tips...

Has anyone sailed this particular ship w/ an infant and if so, how was it?

What are some good things to do in Nassau with a baby?

Did you bring your car seat with you for the taxi rides?

What did you do to keep your infant cool since babies aren't allowed in the pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm debating on purchasing a last minute cruise for this Mother's Day Weekend on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas to the Bahamas. It would be me, my 9 month old and my mom traveling together. I have a few questions and would love any other tips...

What did you do to keep your infant cool since babies aren't allowed in the pool?

There is a Family Forum on CC that can give you lots of answers and help.

One thing is to bring a small inflatable pool/tub for baby to play in and for you to bathe baby. Bring lots of sunscreen for all of you, especially baby.

If you have an umbrella stroller that is a huge help aboard ship.

Bring son's favorite toy, stuffed animal, blanket.

Now read more at Family Forum.

To keep baby cool...keep in the shade! Some will bring an inflatable tub...you don't want a backyard pool! A small tub can hold a couple ice buckets full of water....just enough for splashing....

Edited by cb at sea

I notice you mention only 1 parent.

Be sure you have proper documentation and identification for the baby.

The family and RC boards are the best places to get specifics.

We've sailed several times with a baby and it was great fun.

The easiest thing to do is take it easy and simply enjoy the time.

Fine a nice beach or an AI with day passes in Nassau.

Car seats? That's quite a debate. We don't bring them, but some do. They are not required and many modes of transportation don't have seat belts anyway.

Cool? Just keep him inside or in the shade, give lots of fluids, at ports go to beaches or locations with pools.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread??

doubtful. many parents come on here complaining that paying tips for infants is stupid as 'they won't eat anything or make a mess'

they fail to realize that the crew will bend over backwards and spoil the babies rotten and also get to clean up dirty diapers and then vacuum up the crushed cracker crumbs out from under the high chair.

not only should you be prepared to pay the full suggested gratuity( which if you will note is NOT aged based on most lines) it would not be out of line to recognize the additional labor every small child creates with a little extra.

doubtful. many parents come on here complaining that paying tips for infants is stupid as 'they won't eat anything or make a mess' ...

But the OP hadn't said a word about tips so it was strange that the very first reply didn't answer any of OP's questions, just commented about paying the tips.

Edited by NMLady

But the OP hadn't said a word about tips so it was strange that the very first reply didn't answer any of OP's questions, just commented about paying the tips.

but they DID ask for advice.. and the advice/personal experience was to not remove the tips and to in fact pay out a little extra

but they DID ask for advice.. and the advice/personal experience was to not remove the tips and to in fact pay out a little extra

I was thinking this when I saw the post about paying the tip so I thought that was a bit of advice given, but maybe the poster should have been more clear and added that it is expected for even babies to pay the tip, but that it also is well worth it, considering that the cabin steward will be taking care of diapers and that the waitstaff will help with getting milk or baby food ready.

We didn't take our daughter on a cruise until she was 23 months of age, but I think that was because hubby was a bit reluctant. We did take her on day trips before then (Sea World, Disneyland, Ventura Harbor), but even those take planning -- you need to make sure you have the right size diapers, bottles, dish detergent for cleaning bottles, serving utensils for the solid food, transport items such as a stroller, etc. With a cruise, you need to be even more organized as you can't exactly pop out to the local grocery store if you need supplies. And you can't count on the ship's store to have baby items (or be open when you need them).

I wouldn't pre-plan (meaning prebook) any activity in port, but read up on beaches, etc. IIRC, pediatricians recommend babies stay completely out of the sun -- that sunscreen may not be best until about 1 year (unless that was six months of age). If your baby is cranky, you might even want to consider staying on the ship. There will be some people who do.

You definitely should get a form (some people have posted links on the family board) that the baby's father should sign and get notarized saying that he's fine with you taking the baby on a cruise without him. This rule is to protect kids from being abducted by a non-custodian parent. You may not be asked for it, but if you are and can't produce it, you won't be able to board the ship with your kids.

Bring everything you'll need for the baby, as they won't have things on the ship. If the baby's father is in the picture, you'll need a signed and notarized letter from him giving you permission to take the child out of the country. You'll need the baby's official, government issued birth certificate.

We paid the full tip and gave extra ...

I think you may have read the OP's question wrong...I believe they were asking about tip's when traveling with an infant' date=' not about monetary tip info ;)[/b']