We know Celebrity monitors the board

Gracie115

So I'm wondering if they take what they read back to "whoever" and relay the information received. I've read several threads of late that speak about how the Normandie & Muranos type specialty restaurants are not as good as they used to be(which we agree) and that Blu is no longer as good as it was. Also read where the Spec. Rest. are outpricing themselves and the food is no longer as good as it once was. People always advising to "wait till you board" to book one because they rarely sell out and are offering discounts frequently once on board. I know this, the first time we went to the Normandie on Summit many years ago we had a hard time making a reservation and when we wanted to return on the same cruise we were told, "Sorry" nothing open for rest of cruise. Have not had something like that happen in years. I am just wondering at what point Celebrity REALLY evaluates these areas, perhaps reprices them to get better attendance, or realizes that they REALLY aren't serving food at the same level of quality as they once did and make an effort to improve it so that the $45 price is not perceived as too high for the product delivered. I have no problem paying for the experience if it is worth it....it doesn't seem that that is the case now. So are you really listening to us X, not just for those lucky enough to be in Suites but for ALL of us out here?

I would be very surprised if they didn't read posts - I certainly would. Generally people on the Forums are regular passengers and it is an excellent way of finding out how customers really feel.

So I'm wondering if they take what they read back to "whoever" and relay the information received. I've read several threads of late that speak about how the Normandie & Muranos type specialty restaurants are not as good as they used to be(which we agree) and that Blu is no longer as good as it was. Also read where the Spec. Rest. are outpricing themselves and the food is no longer as good as it once was. People always advising to "wait till you board" to book one because they rarely sell out and are offering discounts frequently once on board. I know this, the first time we went to the Normandie on Summit many years ago we had a hard time making a reservation and when we wanted to return on the same cruise we were told, "Sorry" nothing open for rest of cruise. Have not had something like that happen in years. I am just wondering at what point Celebrity REALLY evaluates these areas, perhaps reprices them to get better attendance, or realizes that they REALLY aren't serving food at the same level of quality as they once did and make an effort to improve it so that the $45 price is not perceived as too high for the product delivered. I have no problem paying for the experience if it is worth it....it doesn't seem that that is the case now. So are you really listening to us X, not just for those lucky enough to be in Suites but for ALL of us out here?

On our last cruise, this not being related to the specialty restaurants, but the title of your post, we were told flat out that Celebrity does read these boards.

We went to the cruise critic meet and greet and the cruise director was giving his welcome and answering questions. Someone asked why their wine was taken away upon boarding and delivered back to these passengers later that evening. He explained that the crew in Los Angeles took the spring break alcohol ban very seriously (even though this was certainly lot a spring break crowd). He stated, we also read these boards on how everyone tries to smuggle booze onboard. So - confirmed!!

Hopefully, they also give kudos to those staff and crew that we praise when written in these boards -- I would think they do.

I think you have the battle between marketing and the green eyeshade folks. Marketing, and I suspect that "Celelebrity Cruise" belongs to that group, would like to improve every area...especially those where they are getting negatives here, and likely from the comment cards. The folks watching the bottom line and that includes Michael Bayley are focused on cost savings and increasing revenue. It's an age old clash. Some corporations rise above it...although it's unusual..when the CEO realizes that customer satisfaction is worth $'s...and who realizes that investments now help future dollars. Most don't..and they cut, cut cut until they find the pain point (which is usually too late). Have you noticed that Breyer's ice cream has, for most flavors, been replaced by Breyers frozen desserts because they lowered the cream content below the point where they can call it ice cream...that's just an example. Celebrity is trying to find the minimum number of staff for a ship, they have cut back on food/quality (subjective) and they have raised prices on specialty meals, added fee items in the aqua spa, zumba is now $11 and so on.

I'm sure "celebrity cruises" passes on some posts or some summary, but not sure it gets beyond the marketing department.

I'd be happy if "Celebrity cruise" would participate here more on threads where we discuss Celebrity Policy and changes. Clarify the policy rather than let us guess or talk about interpretations. Help us....don't just pick and choose the easy ones which is what that ID does today. There are so many threads where we could use some "official" clarification...but it rarely comes. Perhaps this will change...or perhaps Celebrity HQ is as confused as we are so that individual is either afraid or not willing to clarify, lest he/she be wrong.

A simple example...has the elite breakfast changed across the fleet or is what we're hearing a trial/one off?

Another example...since many of us have guaranteed lowest price reservations or the captain's club upgrade option, how do we keep track of price reductions that we might want to request (realizing that our perks might change)?

How about it Celebrity Cruise...help us on this very useful forum.

Edited by ghstudio

And I know they read them too....just wondering how much value they put on opinions shared here, especially if the opinions seem to be of the same mind....does it give cause for discussion on how to improve the product?

And I know they read them too....just wondering how much value they put on opinions shared here, especially if the opinions seem to be of the same mind....does it give cause for discussion on how to improve the product?

Gracie -- I'm pretty sure that the folks at corporate keep up with what's going on, here on the CC boards. After all, they spend lots of $$ on guest surveys, polls, etc -- and this information is free! :cool:

However, it's good to remember that CC posters only make up a small percentage of total cruisers. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at RCCL don't also take that into consideration, when evaluating the data they obtain from this site.

Gracie -- I'm pretty sure that the folks at corporate keep up with what's going on, here on the CC boards. After all, they spend lots of $$ on guest surveys, polls, etc -- and this information is free! :cool:

However, it's good to remember that CC posters only make up a small percentage of total cruisers. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at RCCL don't also take that into consideration, when evaluating the data they obtain from this site.

We do make up a small percentage of the cruising world, no doubt. BUT most of us are repeat business and "informed" cruisers....ultimately you need that group too, in fact the whole purpose of Capt. Club, Crown & Anchor clubs is to keep you coming back.....I am in the hospitality business and I take very seriously the comments provided to me, although those comments also come from a small percentage of the guests staying at our property.....AND if a comment comes up over and over ... I take that very seriously, because it generally means MANY others who AREN'T relaying their feelings do indeed feel the same way. I would think THAT would be how X and Royal and other lines would view these boards.....

I think you have the battle between marketing and the green eyeshade folks. Marketing, and I suspect that "Celelebrity Cruise" belongs to that group, would like to improve every area...especially those where they are getting negatives here, and likely from the comment cards. The folks watching the bottom line and that includes Michael Bayley are focused on cost savings and increasing revenue. It's an age old clash. Some corporations rise above it...although it's unusual..when the CEO realizes that customer satisfaction is worth $'s...and who realizes that investments now help future dollars. Most don't..and they cut, cut cut until they find the pain point (which is usually too late). Have you noticed that Breyer's ice cream has, for most flavors, been replaced by Breyers frozen desserts because they lowered the cream content below the point where they can call it ice cream...that's just an example. Celebrity is trying to find the minimum number of staff for a ship, they have cut back on food/quality (subjective) and they have raised prices on specialty meals, added fee items in the aqua spa, zumba is now $11 and so on.

I'm sure "celebrity cruises" passes on some posts or some summary, but not sure it gets beyond the marketing department.

I'd be happy if "Celebrity cruise" would participate here more on threads where we discuss Celebrity Policy and changes. Clarify the policy rather than let us guess or talk about interpretations. Help us....don't just pick and choose the easy ones which is what that ID does today. There are so many threads where we could use some "official" clarification...but it rarely comes. Perhaps this will change...or perhaps Celebrity HQ is as confused as we are so that individual is either afraid or not willing to clarify, lest he/she be wrong.

A simple example...has the elite breakfast changed across the fleet or is what we're hearing a trial/one off?

Another example...since many of us have guaranteed lowest price reservations or the captain's club upgrade option, how do we keep track of price reductions that we might want to request (realizing that our perks might change)?

Agree with you on all points.....there are so many times when Celebrity Cruise could clear up confusion here.....

However, it's good to remember that CC posters only make up a small percentage of total cruisers.

Agreed! There are only a few hundred Celebrity pax that post or comment on Here on a regular basis. You look at the F-book page and see 450,000 likes with 7000+ talking about Celebrity daily. Celebrity responds to comments there many times more than is done here. They do monitor the comments on CC. So does RCCL. Our DD was written up when she worked on ship for posting on CC.

When we sailed Princess in 2012 they linked us to their FB pg for the Roll Call, not CC. You can not hide behind a curtain like the Wizard of Oz on FB like we get to here on Cruise Critic.

IMHO, ( which is worth nothing to many ) we will see more movement that direction if the nasty level continues on CC threads. And potential Celebrity passengers comment they will not sail due to these comments.

My rant is over, next.

Agreed! There are only a few hundred Celebrity pax that post or comment on Here on a regular basis. You look at the F-book page and see 450,000 likes with 7000+ talking about Celebrity daily. Celebrity responds to comments there many times more than is done here. They do monitor the comments on CC. So does RCCL. Our DD was written up when she worked on ship for posting on CC.

When we sailed Princess in 2012 they linked us to their FB pg for the Roll Call, not CC. You can not hide behind a curtain like the Wizard of Oz on FB like we get to here on Cruise Critic.

IMHO, ( which is worth nothing to many ) we will see more movement that direction if the nasty level continues on CC threads. And potential Celebrity passengers comment they will not sail due to these comments.

My rant is over, next.

As a consultant, I can tell you that the number of pax posting on CC is MORE than enough to comprise a representative sample for statistical analysis. Furthermore, the cross section of ages, geographic locations, and backgrounds makes cruise critic a great survey tool for X and other brands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My rant is over, next.

LOL -- an occasional anonymous rant can be a good thing -- that's the beauty of CC! ;)

I've posted here for years (and lurked for a long time before that). I also fill out surveys, comment cards, and any other vehicle for feed-back, before, during, and after a cruise. But, neither DH nor I are into FB, Twitter, or anything like that. So, if RCCL is looking for our opinions, they won't find them there! And, it's true -- things get a little rowdy around here, from time to time. But Host Andy and Host Walt do an amazing job of keeping the discussions civil, IMHO. :cool:

But, when I hear a brand-new poster say something along the lines of: "You people on CC are so mean, I'm never going to sail X!" -- it a usually gets a big :rolleyes: from me!

I am sure that they do monitor this site and take the information on here back to the powers that be. I am in the wedding industry and am regularly looking at sites like the Knot and others to see what brides are talking about. You learn from some posts and you know who has an agenda from others. What's important about these posts is to review the information that is useful to you, ignore what's not and just enjoy your cruise. Posts that talk about location of cabins, things to do on board as well as in port and the roll calls are very helpful. Rehashing over drink packages and the food options not so much.

We are only some of the passengers but companies recognize the importance of listening to some. Several years ago I was involved in a radio focus group. We were told to be sure to voice our opinion and not just echo what others were saving. Each of us was assumed to be speaking for 10,000 of their listeners, so we needed to speak up.

Consider flag wavers. Not all, but don't they response to negatives.

Lately, are they part of the cutbacks? Or on repositioning cruises?

LOL -- an occasional anonymous rant can be a good thing -- that's the beauty of CC! ;)

I've posted here for years (and lurked for a long time before that). I also fill out surveys, comment cards, and any other vehicle for feed-back, before, during, and after a cruise. But, neither DH nor I are into FB, Twitter, or anything like that. So, if RCCL is looking for our opinions, they won't find them there! And, it's true -- things get a little rowdy around here, from time to time. But Host Andy and Host Walt do an amazing job of keeping the discussions civil, IMHO. :cool:

But, when I hear a brand-new poster say something along the lines of: "You people on CC are so mean, I'm never going to sail X!" -- it a usually gets a big :rolleyes: from me!

And one can only imagine that Celebrity does the same :rolleyes: when some Elite+ says, " I am not sailing again if they don't stop doing this or that". So you have spent 5,10, 15+ years reaching this level, and now you want us to believe you are going to start all over at the bottom of the food chain on another line? Yea right.

I normally don't follow that other discussion on the site we can't mention, but I took some time today to read through the comments. I was surprised that they pretty much mirror the comments here. Same comments about cutbacks, same comments about pricing guarantees, same comments on food.

I"m not sure I care which site celebrity follows...they seem to give the same message....and it's not a glowing testemonial. The mystery "cruise critic" does seem to post there more often...perhaps it's easier or responses there reach more eyes.

I've stated before that Celebrity really has to learn how to use social networks and the internet....and yes, they have improved, they seem to have one person assigned now (or a few using the same ID?)....but they still aren't using it well. A quick response, positive or negative, is far better than having folks wander around an issue guessing and broadening something that's actually cut and dry.

It doesn't take much to clarify policy....to nip rumors in the bud. Celebrity just doesn't understand the power of the internet. As we all know, they obviously don't understand the value of having a working, accurate, complete web site....problems keep getting reported both here and on that other site with the same "how is it possible that a big company could have this bad a website" message.

I'm preaching to the choir....but maybe, just maybe someone in Celebrity HQ will start to focus seriously on social media....

BTW...a good start would be for some manager (or above) to reply to this entire thread (not necessarily my comments...but the whole concept of this specific thread).

Edited by ghstudio

When I sailed Azamara (and will again when they have an itinerary I want) they had a specific person who read and responded to CC threads. Sadly he passed away and as we have not sailed Az since I don't know if he has been replaced.

But it worked brilliantly. We could ask questions on CC and receive a response; moan and we'd get a response. I even entered into an argument with him that got both our postings removed from CC.

It wasn't "Customer Services". Sometimes he didn't or couldn't say anything. He certainly didn't reply to individual problems. But it was great to know that so far as generic questions were concerned there was somebody who listened and responded to CC.

Cruise lines could learn a lesson from Azamara in respect of CC contact and feed back. I'm sure they all listen ... but most don't respond.

RIP Bill.

Hi Gracie,

I wish I could say they listen to Social Media comments with great interest. I believe they do care about what's said... but, as far as taking specific actions on what's said by their guests within the Social Media universe ? That's an entirely different story. I know they do significant amounts of research, but after that... you get the sense that it seems to go in a circular file.

There was a time when I wrote to Celebrity frequently, with insights & suggestions... but they always responded with : "we'll get back to you". More often than not, they did not respond. When they did, their reply was either minimal, confusing, or failed to answer the question. For that reason, I ceased communicating with them, as I felt my time was being wasted. My time is a very precious commodity these days. Why waste time, when you feel there's no interest in the conversation ?

As I hope most of our members are aware, I'm extremely passionate about all things Celebrity, and we sail with them with great loyalty. More than ever, I feel my efforts are not appreciated by the folks in Miami. Sad, but true. Along with the recent changes onboard, we are looking at other lines this Summer & Winter. I *never* thought that day would come, but it's getting closer to reality. I probably need another brand to be passionate about. FWIW, I loved Azamara too, but they've lost my passion & loyalty. So far, it's been a very tough 2014 for my Cruising passion, but I'm not giving up ! If it ultimately ends with Celebrity as well, I'm sure I will find my passion with another cruise brand.

As for their Social Media strategy ? It's severely lacking, but for some odd reason, they seem fine with the bare minimum. This comment is absolutely not directed at Celebrity's social media representative (this person is simply doing as told), but in the fact that Celebrity could be doing MUCH MORE within Social Media. Celebrity must step up their game, as Social Media is only going to become more popular in the coming months & years. What little they are currently doing, won't get them anywhere near the top of the Social Media mountain.

FWIW, it seems clear, (at least to me) that Celebrity has a very specific gameplan, and are committed to it, no matter what is said on this forum, or anywhere else within Social Media. I truly hope that Celebrity reconsiders some of the recent changes we observed on Eclipse. While we had a great cruise, there were a number of concerning items, which hurt our cruise experience.

Note to Celebrity : PLEASE listen with great interest, to what's said by your valued Guests. Your consumer's insights are one of your most valuable tools. Please be as passionate about your guests, as much as we are passionate about your wonderful brand !

Edited by Host Andy

When I sailed Azamara (and will again when they have an itinerary I want) they had a specific person who read and responded to CC threads. Sadly he passed away and as we have not sailed Az since I don't know if he has been replaced.

But it worked brilliantly. We could ask questions on CC and receive a response; moan and we'd get a response. I even entered into an argument with him that got both our postings removed from CC.

It wasn't "Customer Services". Sometimes he didn't or couldn't say anything. He certainly didn't reply to individual problems. But it was great to know that so far as generic questions were concerned there was somebody who listened and responded to CC.

Cruise lines could learn a lesson from Azamara in respect of CC contact and feed back. I'm sure they all listen ... but most don't respond.

RIP Bill.

Thank you for your comments Balloon Man. I totally agree that all cruise lines could have learned a great deal from Azamara's Social Media strategy. Not so much from Azamara directly, but from Bill's many accomplishments. He knew how to handle everything with tact and class, and knew exactly how to deliver the message, whether good or bad. As Bill & I frequently discussed, it's not only about the message, but it's about establishing a connection and trust with your audience. Most all cruise lines treat us like we are robots, and there's no personal connection - which Bill & myself were/are very passionate about. IMO, that's a major miscalculation by the cruise lines.

Azamara has recently replaced Mr Leiber with a new CBO. It's too soon to pass judgement on her, but Bill handled Azamara's CBO responsibilities with perfection, and is sorely missed - both as Azamara's CBO, and a very dear friend. IMO, Bill is irreplaceable.

Rest in Peace Bill.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Andy,

It's interesting that you mentioned possibly going to another cruise line. With the exception of going on Princess because our friends smoked, I've been very loyal to Celebrity. I now am thinking that I, too, may decide to try different lines. I just figured out that if I cruised 28 days a year (as we're doing next year), it would take me 53 years to make it to Zenith. We're + now. I still like Celebrity but listening to all of the cost cutting measures for the prices that we're paying may test my loyalty to Celebrity

Hi Andy,

It's interesting that you mentioned possibly going to another cruise line. With the exception of going on Princess because our friends smoked, I've been very loyal to Celebrity. I now am thinking that I, too, may decide to try different lines. I just figured out that if I cruised 28 days a year (as we're doing next year), it would take me 53 years to make it to Zenith. We're + now. I still like Celebrity but listening to all of the cost cutting measures for the prices that we're paying may test my loyalty to Celebrity

Believe me Judy, it pains me to say we're looking elsewhere. Right now, we are looking at Princess this Summer, and Oceania for November. I get upset, just looking at another brand. That's how much Celebrity means to me !!! However, if "entertainment" (if you can call it that) such as egg drop and ship racing, along with very spotty service in the MDR, because the assistant is too busy getting drinks (due to the removal of bar servers in the MDR), it's just becoming too much for us.

Besides, if X prices are going to keep going up, up, up, and with frequent sales by brands like Oceania, it may not be that much more to give them a try. It's not something we'd ever want to do, but we feel that Celebrity is forcing our hands. It's very sad.

Edited by Host Andy

One HD spoke to our CC group and said that he was a frequent lurker who found comments helpful. I know at least one Captain who is an active lurkier and several crew members who post.

Hi Gracie,

I wish I could say they listen to Social Media comments with great interest. I believe they do care about what's said... but, as far as taking specific actions on what's said by their guests within the Social Media universe ? That's an entirely different story. I know they do significant amounts of research, but after that... you get the sense that it seems to go in a circular file.

There was a time when I wrote to Celebrity frequently, with insights & suggestions... but they always responded with : "we'll get back to you". More often than not, they did not respond. When they did, their reply was either minimal, confusing, or failed to answer the question. For that reason, I ceased communicating with them, as I felt my time was being wasted. My time is a very precious commodity these days. Why waste time, when you feel there's no interest in the conversation ?

As I hope most of our members are aware, I'm extremely passionate about all things Celebrity, and we sail with them with great loyalty. More than ever, I feel my efforts are not appreciated by the folks in Miami. Sad, but true. Along with the recent changes onboard, we are looking at other lines this Summer & Winter. I *never* thought that day would come, but it's getting closer to reality. I probably need another brand to be passionate about. FWIW, I loved Azamara too, but they've lost my passion & loyalty. So far, it's been a very tough 2014 for my Cruising passion, but I'm not giving up ! If it ultimately ends with Celebrity as well, I'm sure I will find my passion with another cruise brand.

As for their Social Media strategy ? It's severely lacking, but for some odd reason, they seem fine with the bare minimum. This comment is absolutely not directed at Celebrity's social media representative (this person is simply doing as told), but in the fact that Celebrity could be doing MUCH MORE within Social Media. Celebrity must step up their game, as Social Media is only going to become more popular in the coming months & years. What little they are currently doing, won't get them anywhere near the top of the Social Media mountain.

FWIW, it seems clear, (at least to me) that Celebrity has a very specific gameplan, and are committed to it, no matter what is said on this forum, or anywhere else within Social Media. I truly hope that Celebrity reconsiders some of the recent changes we observed on Eclipse. While we had a great cruise, there were a number of concerning items, which hurt our cruise experience.

Note to Celebrity : PLEASE listen with great interest, to what's said by your valued Guests. Your consumer's insights are one of your most valuable tools. Please be as passionate about your guests, as much as we are passionate about your wonderful brand !

Thanks for your words Andy, as always you pretty much hit the mark on my thoughts too. I began the thread mostly because of threads I've seen more & more lately about the deterioration of the product. THOSE threads SHOULD be very important to Celebrity, as they indicate strong symptoms of a bigger problem. It can't ALWAYS be about the bottom line, that philosophy in and of itself can kill the product. You DO have to hear your customers, know what they want and as much as possible give it to them.....ignore them at your own peril. We have our first TA planned with X for next year, but that's the only cruise we have planned right now. Last year we were onboard on 4 different cruises. We decided to "abstain" for 2014 in hopes that being away from the product will make it more fun. I hope the slow deterioration witnessed over the last few years does not progress so that we are sorry we booked that 16 night cruise for 2015.....

I understand completely looking at other lines, when your needs are no longer being met you look elsewhere. I wonder if X cares?