Single Mom traveling w/ Infant

NooB Cruiser

I'd like to book a last minute cruise that leaves this Friday to the Bahamas. While reading this forum to get tips on what I should and shouldn't do/bring (my daughter is 9 months old) I ran across several threads about needing notarized consent from the other parent. I'm now unsure if I should book this cruise...my daughter doesn't have a passport yet (I have mines) and her father is completely out of the picture. He's moved to the other side of the country so I don't have any way of contacting him to get a notarized letter. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a court order showing that you have sole, legal custody, that would do. Your daughter (and you) can sail on a closed-loop cruise without a passport. BC and DL (or for child, just BC) will do just fine.

This cruise might be too quick even with a passport. I think you need to get custody cleared up so that's all set for her future. Once her custody to cleared legally, you'll know what is required to take her out of the country. Best wishes.

The official information doesn't even cover out of contact parents. Which is odd. You'd think that would come up frequently: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

You will also need special documentation regarding the father when you do apply for a passport : http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html#consent

When you apply for the passport, you will either need something from the father or you will need to submit the court order. At least that is what I had to do a number of years ago.

I wouldn't chance the cruise, but I would talk with someone about the passport and exactly what is needed. Probably the best thing to do is get a court custody order. You may need it for more than just travel.

Been there done that dealing with a deadbeat Dad. Spend a few dollars now with a lawyer and hopefully make your future with your child a little easier when it comes to travel, medical or anything else that may come up

I am in the same boat, joint custody but I have a passport for him, do I need anything else?

Yes, you need a notarized letter from the other parent authorizing you to take him out of the country.

I ended up contacting a lawyer yesterday so that I can begin the court process to get sole legal custody of my daughter. I'd rather not have to run into this issue everytime we have a vacation planned. Especially since we have a few planned next year that are out of the country. Thanks everyone for replying!

I ended up contacting a lawyer yesterday so that I can begin the court process to get sole legal custody of my daughter. I'd rather not have to run into this issue everytime we have a vacation planned. Especially since we have a few planned next year that are out of the country. Thanks everyone for replying!

Good move. You will be very happy once you have done this.

As others said, there will be other times you'll be glad you have the paperwork. At some point, your child will be ready for school, and they might ask about any missing items (such as a parent) on the paperwork. Maybe not, but you need to have everything settled legally.