flights home from cruises

michmike

seems like there are a number of posts right now about "can I make this flight?"

The reality is that it is simply NOT a good idea to book a flight prior to noon for your trip home. There are just too many things that can go wrong and cause you to miss it. After a relaxing week or longer onboard, who needs the stress of worrying whether they are going to make their flight or not?

Sure there will be times when everything goes just right and you end up at the airport at 10 am with time to kill, but that is surely better than a mad dash thru the airport trying to get to your gate before they pull the door shut.

Just as many advise arriving the day before departure in order to avoid stress and the possibility of delays, don't ruin your vacation by gambling on the chance you can make a 10:30 flight.

The reality is that people ask because the early flights are cheaper - and, as usual, people want to cut all sorts of corners just to get a cheaper flight despite all the advice that it's risky to do so.

Remember: There's a reason the flights are cheap. They're cheap because they're too early for people coming of cruises, so the demand for them is lower.

• 3 weeks later...

Is 1 PM too early of a flight??? We are on a Med Cruise that ports in Civatevechia (1.5 hours from Rome). I know I messed up the spelling on the port. We would fly out of Rome after transferring from the port to Rome on the cruise transportation. We are cruising concierge class and should get some sort of priority debarkation.

Anyway, I don't want to book a flight too early. Is 1 PM doable? Should we look for something later? I am not finding anything later until the next day. Please help.

Sometimes a later flight is booked in advance, then the airline changes the time. I'm in the process of working with the airline now to re-arrange a flight that they changed the departure on - for the 3rd time. And we still have 5 months to go!

Altho they may build in too much time, just call the cruise line and find out what time they would book the first flights. Use that as a mark.

Remember: it's much easier to be booked on a later flight, get to the airport early, and stand by for an earlier flight....

....than it is to be booked on an early flight and miss the plane.

Yes, I understand that later flights may be more heavily booked, and thus more expensive. But which is of greater value.....the higher price of the later flight, or saving some bucks, but ranting and raving to everyone on the ship and at the airport that you need to get to the front of the line because you have a flight soon, sweating in worry, wondering why the ship is already 25 mins late into port, pondering over those stupid immigration bureaucrats and why they are taking so long to clear the ship, and then lugging your own bags so that you can get early disembarkation, and then fretting over the guy in the car in front of you who had "plenty of time" to make the left turn but he decided to wait until the next green light, then bitching over stupid increased security measures at the airport, and so on???

I agree that flights before 1 PM can be risky, but suspect it is more than just the cost. It can also be that people do not want to spend hours sitting in the airport waiting for the flight.

Personally I would rather spend the time in the airport than worrying about missing my flight, but others feel differently.

Personally I would rather spend the time in the airport than worrying about missing my flight, but others feel differently.

We always plan to arrive at the airport early.....just in case. But after cruises, we go one step further--we always stay at least an extra day, or longer if we want to explore.

It is built into our planning for vacation.....save the extra money for one more night in a hotel....plan on one extra days' vacation......and not fighting the other 1500 passengers trying to get flights that day!

We always plan to arrive at the airport early.....just in case. But after cruises, we go one step further--we always stay at least an extra day, or longer if we want to explore.

It is built into our planning for vacation.....save the extra money for one more night in a hotel....plan on one extra days' vacation......and not fighting the other 1500 passengers trying to get flights that day!

\

And a nice way to extend the trip!

Altho they may build in too much time, just call the cruise line and find out what time they would book the first flights. Use that as a mark.

Remember: it's much easier to be booked on a later flight, get to the airport early, and stand by for an earlier flight....

....than it is to be booked on an early flight and miss the plane.

As a person who missed a flight coming off a cruise back in January, I definitely agree. And it was a cruiseline booked flight. If everything had gone right, I would have made the flight. But everything didn't go right, there were delays at immigration, my bag was misplaced, etc. As it was, I was lucky and a nice airline rep found me the only seat home that day. I still ended up sitting around the airport for several extra hours, and got home 8 hours later than I should have. And I was a single traveler.

Also, some people just don't seem to understand the entire process of getting off the ship. They see that they get into port at 7 or 8 and assume they will immediately walk straight off the ship at that time into a waiting cab with no delay.

I would rather get to the airport and wait and see if I can go standby, than EVER have to go through trying to get a flight home because I missed my flight again. And I was by myself. I can't imagine going through it when traveling with somebody else, much less kids.

I agree it's not always about price that people look at earlier flights. Not everyone lives where there are flights home every 2 hours. Some people live in smaller centers where to make a connection, they need to leave at 11am or noon. If you live in a smaller city in the west, and flying home from Florida, you could be looking at 2 connections along the way. In those cases, it's better to plan to stay an extra day in the debarkation city, and take the early flight. But many people just want to be home after the cruise ends.

I agree it's not always about price that people look at earlier flights. Not everyone lives where there are flights home every 2 hours. Some people live in smaller centers where to make a connection, they need to leave at 11am or noon. If you live in a smaller city in the west, and flying home from Florida, you could be looking at 2 connections along the way. In those cases, it's better to plan to stay an extra day in the debarkation city, and take the early flight. But many people just want to be home after the cruise ends.

Good point. We are lucky to live within an hour of 3 airports, so we have lots of options.

• 1 month later...
Is 1 PM too early of a flight??? We are on a Med Cruise that ports in Civatevechia (1.5 hours from Rome). I know I messed up the spelling on the port. We would fly out of Rome after transferring from the port to Rome on the cruise transportation. We are cruising concierge class and should get some sort of priority debarkation.

Anyway, I don't want to book a flight too early. Is 1 PM doable? Should we look for something later? I am not finding anything later until the next day. Please help.

We're on that cruise. The ship docks at 6:30 AM - the last stop, Livorno, is very close to Civitavecchia so 6:30 AM is the normal docking time. I have been told by many people that 1 PM is more than do-able. And my best friend just got home and told me that many people took later flights and were VERY upset because earllier flights were easy to make. We're going back to Florida via Carnival's charter air, so I'm not worrying about anything. But I know your concern and can only relay to you what I've heard from countless people already. Good luck.:)

My father is one of those "gotta be first" types; first on the ship, first in the dining room, first off the ship. I think he enjoys the stress. I book my flights later in the day just to avoid the nightmare he loves to endure.

Get a later flight, enjoy a long slow departure from the ship and drag out your relaxation as long as you possibly can. You're going to be back home sooner than you want to be so what's the rush?

I know it may cost more in the long run but why ruin a relaxing trip by rushing to end it? Just my 0.02.

We do the same thing and it is wonderful. No worries or stress, and vacation for one more day!:D

Hey Everybody, What you all fail to realize is when carnival ship docks at 8 and they are kicking you off the ship by 10 or 10:30 they are ready to get home. Alot of people can't either afford to stay an extra day or they might not have the time at work to take and extra day off.

I am looking at going on a cruise out of San Juan next year and looking at flight times the earlier ones get you home at a decent time, compared if you leave at 1 ish or 2 ish. I don't want to get home at 11 at night. I guess sitting around airports all day is stressful for alot of people particular those who have young kids. So I can see why they want an early flight.

I am looking at flying out of San Juan about 12:45 and can get home in Richmond, Va about 6:30 so for me that is a great time. But for a flight like that it cost alot more.

Hey that is my thought on the issue!!

Hey Everybody, What you all fail to realize is when carnival ship docks at 8 and they are kicking you off the ship by 10 or 10:30 they are ready to get home. Alot of people can't either afford to stay an extra day or they might not have the time at work to take and extra day off.

I am looking at going on a cruise out of San Juan next year and looking at flight times the earlier ones get you home at a decent time, compared if you leave at 1 ish or 2 ish. I don't want to get home at 11 at night. I guess sitting around airports all day is stressful for alot of people particular those who have young kids. So I can see why they want an early flight.

I am looking at flying out of San Juan about 12:45 and can get home in Richmond, Va about 6:30 so for me that is a great time. But for a flight like that it cost alot more.

Yes, but 12:45 is a doable time to catch a flight after a cruise if there are no delays for immigration or the ship isn't late into port. Most of us are talking about the people that come here wanting to know if they can catch the 10:00 or 11:00 flight because it is sooo much cheaper than the 1:00 flight or later.

I completely understand wanting to get home early but after having missed my 11:40 flight home from a cruise last January and not getting home until midnight because that was the only seat available, believe me I would rather book the later flight than risk not getting home at all.

I know this has been discussed to death, but need some opinions here. We booked with Delta, & unfortunately, have had our flights switched and our flight out of FLL after the cruise is 10:40 am. Can this be done? Even with a very fast disembarkation, will we make it? I am wondering if we should switch to a later flight :confused: Jaxson

Archived