Should I convert some money prior to leaving?

txflood33

My first cruise was to Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel so it really didn't matter...they all accepted USD.

What about Italy/Turkey/Greece? Should I get some Euros before I leave?

Dumb question, but are all 3 of these countries on Euros or is there another currency to toss into the mix?

I think it's not necessary. Whatever country you enter to begin the cruise you will need some cash, but I always just find an ATM at the airport to withdraw a small amount for incidentals before boarding. I have euros and sterling from prior trips that help, but if I didn't I would just plan on using an ATM.

My first cruise was to Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel so it really didn't matter...they all accepted USD.

What about Italy/Turkey/Greece? Should I get some Euros before I leave?

Dumb question, but are all 3 of these countries on Euros or is there another currency to toss into the mix?

Yes, convert a little money to Euros so you have at least enough to get a taxi from the airport......You might find that the airport ATMs are broken or have long lines or something, so have 50-100 Euros to grab a cab and a coffee until you can get to another ATM.

Turkey uses the Lira, not the Euro.

Edited by calliopecruiser
spelling

Others may disagree but I don't want to stagger off a transatlantic flight with no money in my pocket. I convert about $100 equivalent to Euros at my bank at home - the bank should be able to do this for you.

Turkey does not use Euros officially, so if you are landing there first, you might try to get your bank to convert some dollars to Turkish lira. They will take Euros in Turkey, but you might not get a good exchange rate.

If you don't care about losing a few bucks because the local providers don't give you a good exchange rate, I have never been in a country so far in the world where the people wouldn't take American dollars. This is why I always travel with a $100 US bill stashed in my secret pocket.

Because sometimes money solves all problems, and everybody I've met anywhere in the world so far will take US$

Italy and Greece - yes, Euro. In Turkey Euro is accepted.

The first time in Europe by myself, everybody was saying, just use the airport ATM. I got some Swiss Francs at home. Landed in Zurich, found an ATM - for some reason I saw only one, and that one had a long line of backpackers. Was I happy I didn't listen to advices! Just walked past the line, to a shuttle, and to the hotel for a nap to sleep off the jet-lag.

If you don't care about losing a few bucks because the local providers don't give you a good exchange rate, I have never been in a country so far in the world where the people wouldn't take American dollars. This is why I always travel with a $100 US bill stashed in my secret pocket.

Sorry, I disagree. $100 or $50 bills may not be accepted in other countries, in this case $20 are better, and make sure they are almost new.

I have never been in a country so far in the world where the people wouldn't take American dollars. This is why I always travel with a $100 US bill stashed in my secret pocket.

Because sometimes money solves all problems, and everybody I've met anywhere in the world so far will take US$

But they won't always take a $100 bill! I know I wouldn't take it, even though I might take 5 x $20 bills.

Actually, there will be places that won't accept US dollars; while it might be true that there isn't a "country...in the world" where US bills wouldn't be accepted, there will be individuals and businesses within those countries that won't take them.

My sister and I traveled to Italy for a great "sister trip". When we arrived at FCO in Rome, we were so excited to be in Italy that we rushed to pick up our rental car, loaded our (overpacked) luggage and off we went on our grand adventure. We were heading to our first destination of Orvieto and when we tried to get off the "interstate", there was a toll booth...... an unmanned toll booth. Oh No!!! :eek: In our excitement, we had forgotten to stop by the ATM to withdraw Euros!!!:eek: We tried to feed the toll machine dollar bills, a credit card, coins etc. All had the same result. Nothing. Traffic was building up behind us, horns were blaring, fists were shaking out of car windows and we just sat there waiting to be arrested and taken to jail. :( Finally, the gate lifted. :D There must have been someone operating it remotely that either got tired of watching our panic, took pity on us, or was afraid of a riot breaking out from the people behind us. :o

Needless to say, I am a firm believer (now:rolleyes:) of taking some money with me.

I always obtain whatever foreign currency I need PRIOR to leaving my home country.

1) Why start off your trip needing to find an ATM as soon as you land?

2) ATM's I have seen haven't always worked with my Canadian bank card.

3) Converting my currency at home allows me to know exactly what I am paying for the foreign currency.

4) I feel it's safer. I limit the use of both my credit card and debit card while on vacation in the unlikely event that something happens to the card number/pin.

To each their own but if you know you are going to need a foreign currency, why not just make that part of your pre-cruise planning?

We used to change money before departing, but probably for the past 10 (maybe more) years, with the advent of ATM.s we haven't, and we travel on average 2X a yr to Europe. We've never had a problem or a wait at any arrival airport, most have several ATM's it takes about a minute and a half Now, we always gotten local currency at an ATM at the arrival airport. And while traveling in Europe we always use ATM's which are more abundant there then Dunkin' Donuts are, here. If you MUST have some with you prior to departure, depending which airport you're flying out of, there are exchange bureaus there. True, the rate might not be the best, but only change a $100 or so and for the couple of bucks more it's worth not having to run around to banks or AAA. And almost any country in Europe that is not on the Euro will accept Euros. While some say "yes" and some say "no", it's not that big a deal, if you feel more comfortable leaving home with some Euro's.....get some!

Edited by marco