What makes HALs room service club sandwich so special?

At the (relatively) low rates that HAL and other mass-market cruise lines charge for most staterooms and itineraries, we're not likely to see "real roast turkey and real ham" at sea on any of them.

I paid $571 per day for my cruise on the westy. That is not a low rate in my mind.

So are we not allowed to say we don't like something? I've taken a lot of heat for daring to say I didn't like the westerdam or the dive in. Frankly, I want to hear the good and bad because everything is not sunshine and roses.

No one said that.

It is when one becomes judgmental about choices and preferences of others that it is unpleasant.

It is very different to say what you like and don't than to comment to others what they should like or not and I have read that happening in several threads on this forum.

AND No, I have no intention of searching through millions of posts to find examples. :cool: :p

No one said that.

It is when one becomes judgmental about choices and preferences of others that it is unpleasant.

It is very different to say what you like and don't than to comment to others what they should like or not and I have read that happening in several threads on this forum.

AND No, I have no intention of searching through millions of posts to find examples. :cool: :p

I was quoting the poster that said people go on and on about what they don't like. That tells me they think that people are commenting too much so someone did say that.

So are we not allowed to say we don't like something? I've taken a lot of heat for daring to say I didn't like the westerdam or the dive in. Frankly, I want to hear the good and bad because everything is not sunshine and roses.

Because I've read all the threads lately doing my research - I can tell you that I've read the likes and dislikes 20-30 times. The last few, I've thought - okay I know already. But then again I'm reading every thread.

But lots of things are repetitive, some people write the same opinion over and over and over especially in response to someone who dared to like something that the other person didn't like. Or to someone who had a good cruise on a cruise that someone else had a bad cruise on - they felt that their bad cruise experience opinion was somehow less than someone else's good cruise experience opinion.

I read them all hoping to find a middle ground of what my expectation should be. So frankly - I am hoping for cuisine somewhere around the quality of Ruby Tuesday or Chili's or Luby - if better then yippee. I'm hoping to have a comfortable bed with clean sheets, enough clean towels to dry off, a good glass of tea [and tea can be a destroyer of relationships for me], a place on the deck to sit comfortably, and a toilet that flushes. I didn't pay as much as you did because I don't have that much money - so I think my expectations are probably a good fit for what I paid for. I hope so anyway. I think reading the bad experiences give me an anchor to keep me from expecting 5-star because ship happens.

I'm sorry you feel like you've gotten a lot of grief. I hope your next cruise happens soon and you are satisfied with that one. Or that you can look back to a good one in the past and not let this recent horrible one make you sad until you get on another good one. I hope my 1st one isn't as awful to me as your last one was to you. Since it is the same ship and all....

I read them all hoping to find a middle ground of what my expectation should be. So frankly - I am hoping for cuisine somewhere around the quality of Ruby Tuesday or Chili's or Luby - if better then yippee. I'm hoping to have a comfortable bed with clean sheets, enough clean towels to dry off, a good glass of tea [and tea can be a destroyer of relationships for me], a place on the deck to sit comfortably, and a toilet that flushes. I didn't pay as much as you did because I don't have that much money - so I think my expectations are probably a good fit for what I paid for. I hope so anyway. I think reading the bad experiences give me an anchor to keep me from expecting 5-star because ship happens.

A HAL cruise is a "good" cruise because:

1. You don't have to cook your own meals but just be present when they are served.

2. Room Service is free.

3. Desserts are always available during your waking hours.

4. You can eat a late evening meal every night.

5. There will be a Beverage Service worker in a flowered shirt to take your drink order so that you don't have to leave your lounger.

6. Your room will be cleaned at least twice a day when it is not occupied and two chocolates will be on your pillow when you return from dinner.

7. You can sleep as late as you wish in the most comfortable bed you can imagine.

8. There are more activities than you can possibly attend.

9. When you walk down the hallways, every crew member will greet you.

10. Your MDR waiter will know what you like after the first day and do his best to make you a happy diner.

11. The scenery of Alaska will be breathtaking and you will breathe the freshest air on the planet.

12. You will meet some interesting folks from all over the world.

Unless something unforeseen happens, how can you not have a "good" cruise?

We look forward to meeting you in July.

cruzchic - no matter how I tried to put that - I realize it came out negative toward you and that was not my intent. So I apologize. I actually do like reading the negative and kind of feel like I am getting to know people by their preferences/likes/dislikes. I'm sure if we end up on a cruise someday we can sit down in the Lido and share a glass of tea and find something we both enjoy eating!

cruzchic - no matter how I tried to put that - I realize it came out negative toward you and that was not my intent. So I apologize. I actually do like reading the negative and kind of feel like I am getting to know people by their preferences/likes/dislikes. I'm sure if we end up on a cruise someday we can sit down in the Lido and share a glass of tea and find something we both enjoy eating!

Very nice post.

It's a pleasure to read something like this. :)

Thank you.

Because I've read all the threads lately doing my research - I can tell you that I've read the likes and dislikes 20-30 times. The last few, I've thought - okay I know already. But then again I'm reading every thread.

But lots of things are repetitive, some people write the same opinion over and over and over especially in response to someone who dared to like something that the other person didn't like. Or to someone who had a good cruise on a cruise that someone else had a bad cruise on - they felt that their bad cruise experience opinion was somehow less than someone else's good cruise experience opinion.

I'm sorry you feel like you've gotten a lot of grief. I hope your next cruise happens soon and you are satisfied with that one. Or that you can look back to a good one in the past and not let this recent horrible one make you sad until you get on another good one. I hope my 1st one isn't as awful to me as your last one was to you. Since it is the same ship and all....

I don't generally let what other folks say about things affect me unless they are really bad. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm very, very honest and I always tell things the way they are. I'm having a very hard time getting over the disappointment with my recent cruise because I know HAL is so much better then this. I assume that things will get better on the Westy once the time the staff has time to gel. I just wish I hadn't spent the money I did. Live and learn. I hope I'll make better choices next time. Maybe I just had to learn the hard way.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Yes, that cake is excellent! And no, it's not healthy:D;).

I beg to differ. It puts a smile on one's face and another in one's tummy, so I'd consider that a contribution to good health. Wouldn't you? :p:D

I beg to differ. It puts a smile on one's face and another in one's tummy, so I'd consider that a contribution to good health. Wouldn't you? :p:D

Happy is good! so chocolate cake AND crème brulee and bread pudding....yeah, my jeans need to have some space in them before I cruise!!

Happy is good! so chocolate cake AND crème brulee and bread pudding....yeah, my jeans need to have some space in them before I cruise!!

3 laps on the Promenade Deck = 1 mile on the Westy I think. ;)

(can't remember who once posted that 1 meal = 1 mile as their weight of controlling weigh gain, but I like the idea!)

You always have such a wonderful way with words!!!!! Hope all is ok and that we'll be cruising together again.

Diane

Can you have lox at every meal? I've had lox on Princess many times for breakfast. You can get it everyday.

On HAL, Lox are out at breakfast and lunch in the Lido and also on the room service menu. I have odered it at breakfast in the MDR and Pinnacle. It has been many years since I have sailed Princess so it may have changed since my last cruise.

Like several have mentioned, we all don't like to eat the same foods. Some of us care if the food is healthy and some of us don't care. The main thing is, we have a great time and eat whatever we feel like eating!

Edited by legalslave

Now you folks just reminded me I forgot to have a club sandwich on the N.Amsterdam last month-and I really meant to order one from room service! Might be time to book another cruise-lol.

PS Cruz Chic-sorry to hear your cruise was not as expected-I have not yet seen your review yet.

After hearing everyone rave about that club sandwich for years, I finally tried it on my last cruise on Maasdam and I liked it a lot.

We like them also. We had them last year on the Zuiderdam and we ordered them with Swiss sheese and crispy bacon. They were wonderful. We also ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with mozzarella cheese on rye bread and my wife loved it.

Now you folks just reminded me I forgot to have a club sandwich on the N.Amsterdam last month-and I really meant to order one from room service! Might be time to book another cruise-lol.

PS Cruz Chic-sorry to hear your cruise was not as expected-I have not yet seen your review yet.

I'm sorry but I won't be doing a review. I'm having a hard enough time sitting down from the bruising I got from at least one poster. Like they say, if you can't say something good, don't say anything. In reality, there were some bright spots but by far not my best cruise. It's funny but I've had my best and not the best cruise within 6 months of each other.

On HAL, Lox are out at breakfast and lunch in the Lido and also on the room service menu. I have odered it at breakfast in the MDR and Pinnacle. It has been many years since I have sailed Princess so it may have changed since my last cruise.

Like several have mentioned, we all don't like to eat the same foods. Some of us care if the food is healthy and some of us don't care. The main thing is, we have a great time and eat whatever we feel like eating!

Correct me if I am wrong but can't you order from the MDR breakfast menu for room service?

My doctor would love for me to come back with a few extra pounds, so he won't complain if I eat all of those items on my cruise. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk