Pearl or not? Charter Risk?

We have a credit from NCL for our daughter to cruise again after her injury, it expires at the beginning of April 2015. We are now at a point that I can start planning our next cruise confidant we will be able to go. I'm seeing several early 2015 itineraries on the pearl that I would be nice. The little voice in my head is saying that the pearl is always chartered don't get my hopes up. What has been other's experience with the pearl and charters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, if it were me, as much as I enjoyed cruising on the Pearl, I'd consider looking at other itins.

They do have 1 music cruise chartered already and their Sixthman tours so it wouldn't surprise me if it's just getting ramped up for 2015. And since NCL owns Sixthman now they have the option of changing things whenever they want.

http://www.cayamo.com/

Sorry to burst your bubble, but better now, than later. :)

PS Glad your daughter has recovered well enough to cruise again. ;)

Edited by B6ConMe

The Pearl is my favorite ship. Especially the Haven!

But I agree, NCL will charter that ship in a hot minute leaving their guests to make new plans.

I think people run into problems with the Pearl and the charters when they book way in advance. If you wait until 2 months before the sail date to book, the cruise won't be chartered then. I know it's tough if you're a big planner but you will get a better cruise deal, you will be assured the ship won't be chartered out from underneath you.

But I agree, NCL will charter that ship in a hot minute leaving their guests to make new plans.

I think people run into problems with the Pearl and the charters when they book way in advance. If you wait until 2 months before the sail date to book, the cruise won't be chartered then. I know it's tough if you're a big planner but you will get a better cruise deal, you will be assured the ship won't be chartered out from underneath you.

Good points plus, you may end up getting a really good deal, we ended up in a suite for the same price we paid for a balcony on the Epic the year before... might make it worthwhile waiting?

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy your cruise.

I just recently booked the Pearl for November 2015 because I wanted to be sure to nab one of the aft balconies on a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Considering that it is a Panama Canal cruise, do you think it's still possible they'd charter the ship out from under us? :eek: I'm hoping the itinerary might keep us safe! :confused:

I just recently booked the Pearl for November 2015 because I wanted to be sure to nab one of the aft balconies on a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Considering that it is a Panama Canal cruise, do you think it's still possible they'd charter the ship out from under us? :eek: I'm hoping the itinerary might keep us safe! :confused:

What sail date? I was on the Peal on the Nov 8th - 19th 2015 PC Partial, and got the call yesterday that it was either chartered, or scheduled for drydock. They canceled my trip and moved me to the October 18th trip. From what I have heard from others the Nov 30th date is also now missing from the NCL site, so I suspect that trip is also going to be canceled. I would reach out to you PCC to find out.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

I do know the KISS Kruise is in October of this year. wish I was on that one!!

why worry? Just look at the dates and see if it's booked for that time period. I've never had trouble getting a cruise and this will be my 4th time on the Pearl :o I might realllly love this ship :D

We are booked on Jewel for Nov. 29, 2014. Does the Jewel get charted out a lot also? We have paid for our plane tickets and my daughter has scheduled her vacation. If we get bumped how will NCL compensate us?

I just looked at the cruises and there are still 2 there, Nov 19 - 30, 2015, 11-Day Round trip PC and Nov 30 - Dec 10, 2015 the 10-Day Roundtrip Panama Canal from Miami.

And yes, they do Bump pax from cruises if the ship gets chartered. While, for the most part, the charters are scheduled well before hand there are times when it will happen especially during the fall and winter. I`ve read on these boards where it`s happened 2-3 x`s to the same pax.

http://www.sixthman.net/upcomingevents/

Edited by B6ConMe

We are booked on Jewel for Nov. 29, 2014. Does the Jewel get charted out a lot also? We have paid for our plane tickets and my daughter has scheduled her vacation. If we get bumped how will NCL compensate us?

Not usually, no, mostly the Pearl and mostly Sixthman Music Themes. NCL owns Sixthman so they use the Pearl for the charters.

Edited by B6ConMe
wrong post

NCL even removed the slide that was originally on the Pearl for that one reason. To make more room for the performances they have. The Pearl has by far been my favorite ship...But from the things I've heard, it is the #1 chartered ship on NCL. I would suggest looking for another ship to cruise on if you don't want to take that chance.

Hey, look on the bright side....You're in the process of booking a cruise! That's a great feeling!

Pearl has been chartered in late October, early November January and February and perhaps early March. December has been a safe month as has May and October (those months are for repositioning to/from Alaska). Alaska season is May-September. Google sixthman and you can see all the music cruises (and months) they are scheduled for. I will continue to book the Pearl in the future, I just take the extra step to see what is going on with Sixthman first. There are no guarantees and folks were bumped earlier this year due to the ship being chartered.

NCL already "blew up" the Spring 2015 schedule, so if you're seeing something there you like, you should be okay.

We were scheduled for the beginning of March 2015 and got the news a couple of months ago. We had the option of moving to a less desirable 10-day or the one remaining 11-day cruise. We were offered price protection for a "like" cabin and a $100 OBC for our inconvenience.

We moved to the March 26, 2015 cruise.

You always need a back up plan because not only do ships get chartered but they also run into last minute breakdowns Norovirus where the next cruise is cancelled.

Back up for us is to always see what other cruses are available same day, next day or even another port example Miami to/from Fort Lauderdale vice versa.

What sail date? I was on the Peal on the Nov 8th - 19th 2015 PC Partial, and got the call yesterday that it was either chartered, or scheduled for drydock. They canceled my trip and moved me to the October 18th trip. From what I have heard from others the Nov 30th date is also now missing from the NCL site, so I suspect that trip is also going to be canceled. I would reach out to you PCC to find out.

6&8

I'm booked for the cruise between those two. Thanksgiving week. Hopefully all the bands like to stay home to eat their turkey and they leave us alone. I will stick it out for now and see what happens. I love NCL, but there are other cruise lines. If they cancel me, then maybe I take my $ elsewhere for that week .

Dear Cruise Critic members, in anticipation of potential charters on Norwegian Pearl in early 2016 we held back a variety of dates that may be booked by charters, so as not to inconvenience our guests. Thank you for your interest in Norwegian Pearl.

Dear Cruise Critic members, in anticipation of potential charters on Norwegian Pearl in early 2016 we held back a variety of dates that may be booked by charters, so as not to inconvenience our guests. Thank you for your interest in Norwegian Pearl.

Thank you for confirming what I had suspected when looking at the 2016 schedule.

And thank you for listening to our thoughts on this matter and responding!

Does anyone know when was the last dry dock for the Pearl and/or when it's scheduled for the next dry dock? Our recent Jewel cruise was rescheduled for drydock which created similar problems to charters.

I'm booked for the cruise between those two. Thanksgiving week. Hopefully all the bands like to stay home to eat their turkey and they leave us alone. I will stick it out for now and see what happens. I love NCL, but there are other cruise lines. If they cancel me, then maybe I take my $ elsewhere for that week .

We're on the 11-19, too. Since DS needs HC cabin, we have to book way out. Hope they don't charter it out. Finding another HC at short notice would be tough.

Good points plus, you may end up getting a really good deal, we ended up in a suite for the same price we paid for a balcony on the Epic the year before... might make it worthwhile waiting?

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy your cruise.

Actually, it is rare for NCL or any other line to charter with in a 6 month or so period. Usually charters are set up about a year, maybe 9 months in advance. There are exceptions to any rule but that is a guideline. and, btw, NCL isn't the worst. I can think of 2 lines that charter more, but regardless, to see the cruise you plan on taking chartered out from under you is a downer. We are booking the Pearly for April 6th of next year and are worried it will be chartered. It is an itinerary we really are interested in taking.

In terms of music charters, NCL & Sixthman are leading the cruise industry in changing the dynamics....look for more music charters on the Pearl with less lead times all due to social media, downloads and Cloud...the bands have strong fan bases that utilizes social media very effectively and because the cruises are 5 days in duration, NCL can easily fill a 5 day vacum in their schedule very quickly thru internet and loyal repeat guest specials in less then 90 days

By utilizing one primary ship (Pearl), NCL lessens the impact on it's guests fleetwide...peak holiday periods would be the safest time to book tbe Pearl for a non charter cruise

Based upon the success of the NCL/Sixthman partnership, other cruiselines will follow...there is simple to much profit to be made with thrir formula...music fans don't care about ports of calls, all they care about is the music and the party on the private islands