Difference in Price - Tuesday deal v UK price

Bluebury

Ok - this is not a complaint - it is a statement of fact!

I saw an offer on the Tuesday deal, $1599 for an Aqua cabin and thought that I would book. It was where we wanted to go, at the time we wanted to go, in the cabin we wanted and at a price that we were happy to pay.

As in the UK we cannot access the .com website I phoned Celebrity - to find out the price for the exact same cabin through Celebrity UK is £1917 ($3067). We cannot book through Celebrity US so it looks like I am not booking.

Is there anything to stop you using an American TA to book the cruise you are interested in? We have done it loads of times when, like you the discrepancies in pricing are ridiculous!!! Lots of other 'perks' have come our way as well, i.e. OBC, speciality dining etc., Maybe worth a look.

Is there anything to stop you using an American TA to book the cruise you are interested in? We have done it loads of times when, like you the discrepancies in pricing are ridiculous!!! Lots of other 'perks' have come our way as well, i.e. OBC, speciality dining etc., Maybe worth a look.

Hi

We too have come across this many times and is frustrating to say the least. We approached a couple of US TA's who have said no to us and a little more research would probably find one that would. You have been fortunate that things have worked for you in the past, but unless you spill the beans on who you dealt with, who was obviously reputable, (I know you cant because of CC rules), then we could face big trouble if things went wrong as we lose the protection we get in the UK. With the cost of cruising now costing $000's, it is a risk we can ill afford to take, and theoretically could lose our vacation. With the internet resources we now have, one would think that the world would be a level playing field - I'm not sure who is manipulating the price differences apart from the obvious cruise lines maximising what they can get or simple marketing costs and legislation, but the end result is the same - we are taken for suckers. The Aussies have an even harder time than us in getting fair pricing it seems.

Honestly, I think most all of the larger TA's are equal...the only difference being the perks they are offering you to book with them and whether or not the TA has a cancellation fee. It's simple enough to send them a quick email...some have on-line chat or if you have Skype or other computer based telephony, just call them.

You might start with the TA's that advertise on CruiseCritic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

Honestly, I think most all of the larger TA's are equal...the only difference being the perks they are offering you to book with them and whether or not the TA has a cancellation fee. It's simple enough to send them a quick email...some have on-line chat or if you have Skype or other computer based telephony, just call them.

You might start with the TA's that advertise on CruiseCritic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

Clicked on your link and "web page has a redirect loop" appears

Hi

Living in the UK, the idea of using an American travel agent really interests me. Could anyone tell me how I would know which agents are good ones?

Many thanks

Heather

Hi

I booked with an American TA, I did a bit of research first using the Name and address of the TA, found some reviews and checked out the American "Better Business Bureau".

For us in the UK the only way to know for sure if a TA is any good is from personal recommendations from other cruises on the ship, usually after we've paid an over the top price in the UK.

As an example

I contact Celebrity UK for a Family Veranda for 5 and was quoted

£4900 + classic drinks package

I contacted Celebrity US and customer service told me I would have to book through the UK office. When I pointed out I could book direct from the UK with Royal Caribbean in the US the rep got a bit flustered and hinted at using a US TA

I contacted a US TA told them I was from the UK and they quoted

$6400 + classic drinks package + $75 OBC

The next one I called, I told them I was from the UK they called and spoke to Celebrity US and got me a quote from them

$4900 + classic drinks package + $350 OBC

nearly £2000 cheaper

I booked, received my confirmation, logged into Celebrity US to check everything was booked OK and now just waiting excitedly to go on the cruise, no different really from a UK TA

I paid with a credit card to cover myself and paid for good insurance checking it was valid for booking in the US

Damon

Clicked on your link and "web page has a redirect loop" appears

I think that's either your browser settings or security software. The URL posted is accurate and works.

Hi

I booked with an American TA, I did a bit of research first using the Name and address of the TA, found some reviews and checked out the American "Better Business Bureau".

For us in the UK the only way to know for sure if a TA is any good is from personal recommendations from other cruises on the ship, usually after we've paid an over the top price in the UK.

As an example

I contact Celebrity UK for a Family Veranda for 5 and was quoted

£4900 + classic drinks package

I contacted Celebrity US and customer service told me I would have to book through the UK office. When I pointed out I could book direct from the UK with Royal Caribbean in the US the rep got a bit flustered and hinted at using a US TA

I contacted a US TA told them I was from the UK and they quoted

$6400 + classic drinks package + $75 OBC

The next one I called, I told them I was from the UK they called and spoke to Celebrity US and got me a quote from them

$4900 + classic drinks package + $350 OBC

nearly £2000 cheaper

I booked, received my confirmation, logged into Celebrity US to check everything was booked OK and now just waiting excitedly to go on the cruise, no different really from a UK TA

I paid with a credit card to cover myself and paid for good insurance checking it was valid for booking in the US

Damon

Thanks for that - good advice re credit card and insurance

I have booked twice in the US for Cunard cruises, one TA from NY and one from Southampton around the med and now have loyalty numbers on both continents which isn't a big problem, but you do have to ring up Southampton to get your UK loyalty record to show the US booked cruises on your return.

My first expererience of choosing and using a US agent also filled me full of fear for very reasons others have mentioned and I did a lot of research looking at customer reviews prior to taking the plunge, but what helped was the fact that the agent I eventually chose also answered very quickly my questions by email, giving me confidence that they were knowledgable, stable and wanted my business. It also helped that I could look the up on the 'Better Business bureau'. They also had a secure online server for card payment with no fees for cc payment (and you should use one of the load free cards such as the Halifax clarity, there are others and I use a Nationwide Select for payment). Once payment was made and for that first cruise it was full payment, I received almost immediately my booking reference and that's when I knew with great relief I was in. For the second one, we just needed to pay a deposit, again booking reference was immediate and we paid the rest when it was due. The only thing the US agent couldn't book as an international customer was Princess, seems we are barred from booking stateside for some reason and there were warnings on their website to this effect. So I suggest you go through US agents and email a few to get their reaction to dealing with you and then go from there!

Edited by Zippy99

I think that's either your browser settings or security software. The URL posted is accurate and works.

Hmmmm

Still getting same page after switching off all security software and browser extensions. When looking for TA's or lines on CC site, I am seeing uk sites only- a conspiracy perhaps :eek:

Will try nomads method

All - just a warning, but the Better Business Bureau means NOTHING in the US. It is actually a business in its own right that other business pay to get a positive BBB affiliation. It has no jurisdiction or regulatory authority at all. The worst it can do it post a bad review of a business (but that is very,very rare if the business is paying the BBB).

Your best bet, if booking throughout the US, is to purchase great insurance, period. Part of the reason cruises seem expensive in the UK is because of all the protections you all have that we don't. Here, in order to receive most of the protections, we have to buy insurance as well. Do that and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wont go into the savings we made using a US T/A to book our two Eclipse cruises as I must be boring people silly. However when I made the booking I found an agent who had won the "Celebrity Cruises Chairmans Award 2013" so thought they must be OK (Google is your friend!).

Their prices shown on the site dont always show the lowest available price till you click right through to the list of prices by each cabin grade. If they have a group rate available then it will probably jump out at you as being a good price if you have priced the same cruise with a UK agent. I used a local rate number that directs your call to the US (also found on Google) and within 15 minutes it was all booked. A superb rate plus $300 OBC from the agent.

Obviously there is no ABTA insurance but if you use a credit card this would cover you in case of the agent going bust however in the US the deposit and balance are actually charged to your card by the cruise line directly so this eliminates some of the risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmmm

Still getting same page after switching off all security software and browser extensions. When looking for TA's or lines on CC site, I am seeing uk sites only- a conspiracy perhaps :eek:

Will try nomads method

Hi

If you are using google chrome browser on a computer go to the app store and get "zenmate" this allows you to set where you are browsing from. I use it to watch American tv and I know some Americans use it to watch iplayer. Set to America and browse, it may ask if you wish to use google.com or google.co.uk use .com, turn off when you not browsing other countries sites

Damon

Hi

If you are using google chrome browser on a computer go to the app store and get "zenmate" this allows you to set where you are browsing from. I use it to watch American tv and I know some Americans use it to watch iplayer. Set to America and browse, it may ask if you wish to use google.com or google.co.uk use .com, turn off when you not browsing other countries sites

Damon

Success - and thank you for that. Nifty little app - now to go exploring

Hi can anyone tell me if we book a cruise whilst on board celebrity will it be the american prices or uk

I booked my first cruise through RCI UK when I tried to book onboard I was told I had to book from the country I made my original booking from so UK prices.

Not sure if Celebrity does the same

I am hoping that because I booked through a US TA I can book US prices

Hi can anyone tell me if we book a cruise whilst on board celebrity will it be the american prices or uk

They will quote you whatever you have booked in on the current cruise i.e. your present TA. Now if you want to reserve in US$, take your US TA's telephone number and address and tell them you want the cruise costed in $ and which agency you will be using. They will ask you to sign a change of TA form which will allow them to transfer the booking to your chosen US TA.

I know some LAs will let you keep the booking registered to Celebrity in the US until you decide which TA you want to use, however on some ships, they do not. So my advice, especially if it's your first time, is to know which US TA you want your booking transferred to - it will save any embarrassment or hassle should the LA query your request ;).

Inform your US TA that you have made an onboard booking and you will probably find that as well as the onboard booking offers, your US TA will also provide some additional perks e.g. extra OBC, speciality dining etc. Ensure you keep any paperwork from the LA, checking that it states any promos etc. you are entitled to with your booking. Btw, your reduced deposit goes directly to the cruise line and not your TA, so is on their system immediately (unlike in the UK).

Hope this helps :).

I booked my first cruise through RCI UK when I tried to book onboard I was told I had to book from the country I made my original booking from so UK prices.

Not sure if Celebrity does the same

I am hoping that because I booked through a US TA I can book US prices

You needed to tell the LA that you wished to change your TA for your next booking (works on both Royal and X). You would have completed a form onboard which would have allowed you to choose your preferred US TA. As stated in the above post, it's quicker and more likely to be granted if you have all the details ready for the LA. If you know exactly what to do and provide, they will be happier to perform the request :).

Thank you everyone for all the useful details provided in this post. I have just done a quick check for our Panama Canal cruise next year. The price is ~£250 cheaper in an Aqua class cabin for the 2 of us, so a £125.00pp saving (and every little helps), with the same amount of OBC, depending on the currency conversion. Celebrity UK have a 'Price Promise' on this cruise but obviously this is subject to the issues already discussed on this forum with regard to advertised prices and new bookings.

It is certainly worth looking at the US TAs in the future, I have a couple of cruises that I am considering booking and will do a price comparison before committing.

PS Do note though that they require double the amount of deposit that we have paid for a sailing a year away.

Edited by downsmead

Thank you everyone for all the useful details provided in this post. I have just done a quick check for our Panama Canal cruise next year. The price is ~£250 cheaper in an Aqua class cabin for the 2 of us, so a £125.00pp saving (and every little helps), with the same amount of OBC, depending on the currency conversion. Celebrity UK have a 'Price Promise' on this cruise but obviously this is subject to the issues already discussed on this forum with regard to advertised prices and new bookings.

It is certainly worth looking at the US TAs in the future, I have a couple of cruises that I am considering booking and will do a price comparison before committing.

PS Do note though that they require double the amount of deposit that we have paid for a sailing a year away.

Remember if you book onboard, you only pay the lower reduced deposit of $100 per person (refundable too, unlike UK) ;).

Edited by villauk

Be aware that under the UK rules concerning protection when using credit cards that if you pay a TA for an individual component of a trip and then the TA subsequently pays the retailer (for example you just use the TA to sort a flight for you) then that is classed as an 'additional step' and if the retailer goes out of business then you are not protected. In other words if they have just acted as an intermediary for your money you are not covered.

Please note however that if you buy a 'package holiday' from a TA, that is to say a package of a minimum of 2 individual components (flight+cruise) that the TA puts together for you then you are covered as your contract is with the TA.

Fortunately when using a US TA it is Celebrity that bills your CC not the TA.

Section 75 relies on a direct consumer/retailer relationship.

Consumer > credit card provider > retailer = covered

Consumer > travel agent > credit card provider > retailer = not covered

Be aware that under the UK rules concerning protection when using credit cards that if you pay a TA for an individual component of a trip and then the TA subsequently pays the retailer (for example you just use the TA to sort a flight for you) then that is classed as an 'additional step' and if the retailer goes out of business then you are not protected. In other words if they have just acted as an intermediary for your money you are not covered.

Please note however that if you buy a 'package holiday' from a TA, that is to say a package of a minimum of 2 individual components (flight+cruise) that the TA puts together for you then you are covered as your contract is with the TA.

Fortunately when using a US TA it is Celebrity that bills your CC not the TA.

Section 75 relies on a direct consumer/retailer relationship.

Consumer > credit card provider > retailer = covered

Consumer > travel agent > credit card provider > retailer = not covered

So if you book the cruise only option with a UK TA, you are not covered? However, if you book onboard with X or even through a US TA (where X takes the money out from your CC directly), you are covered through your CC provider? Is that what you're saying?

It is a minefield when booking any holiday, cruise or otherwise :(. With the Internet, it is easy to book your own, but as you say, you lose some of the protection afforded if booking through an agent. It all comes down to cost, convenience etc, and whether ultimately you can 'afford' to lose the money if it all goes wrong. The Iceland issue proved a eye opener and a reminder of the potential pitfalls,even if you pay the flight company directly!.

Doing some further research on the US site, I note that they do not accept bookings for Princess (which I believe has already been mentioned) from non US or Canadian residents. My wishlist includes future cruises on both X and Princess, unfortunately too close together to book both :( and so am waiting for the release of the P prices to decide which one to do. Like a previous post, I am anticipating the GBP price to be numerically very similar to the $ price ie £1699 where the US price is $1699. It seems that the Australians and British get bum deals compared to the USA.