MDR Do they really refuse entry?

Elevatorman

The only time that I was late for dinner was when an excursion got back late. Celebrity did not shut us out of dinner. Otherwise, if you know your dinner reservation, be on time. If you did not want to eat early, why did you book early seating. If that was the only time available and you did not like it, then do not book the cruise. I have not booked cruises when the only option was late dinner. If early dinner or select had been an option, I would be leaving on Saturday on the Century. When I tried to book, only available time was 8:30. Instead we are going on the Summit. I view it just like any restaurant or airline reservation. If the available times are not what you want, I do not book.

Thank you for your responses. The only reason I did not choose Select Dining this time is because I wanted to see if the service was better in the MDR. And late seating is just not for us. Just too late. Last cruise we were on the Silhouette in March and noticed many couples racing off the Martini Bar to get to dinner on time. Again just want to be aware.

They are both in the MDR, but they are separate areas with separate entrances and different waiters/etc.

We are splitting gray hairs:D The OP has sailed X, they know what to expect.

We usually decide on whether or not to dine in the MDR by the night's menu, which usually isn't released until day of (unless you request to see the next day's menu). So would it be rude of us to not show up for certain nights? We have to let them know every night we wish not to dine in the MDR? I've never thought of it that way, making others wait (we have always had a table for 2 or anytime). If people really aren't showing up, how long is the wait staff supposed to wait around until they realize they aren't coming?

On a side note, on the Allure last year, the last night, we didn't show up for dinner. We just weren't hungry, but we came in about an hour into service (doors were still open) to give our waiter and his asst extra tips. They begged us to stay and eat. (Maybe bc we showed up with tips?) I also noticed a lot of tables nearby that were empty. Perhaps trying to get away with not tipping. :(

We would be a table for 2. I would not be inconsiderate to others diners. Just trying to be aware, especially when we are in port for the day.

Depending on the length of the afternoon tour 6:00 p.m. could be pushing it. We were on a tour in San Juan that ran really late and those who had the 6:00 p.m. seating missed it. It is for this reason we always take the second seating. It gives us time to rest, freshen up and have a cocktail before dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

On a side note, on the Allure last year, the last night, we didn't show up for dinner. We just weren't hungry, but we came in about an hour into service (doors were still open) to give our waiter and his asst extra tips. They begged us to stay and eat. (Maybe bc we showed up with tips?) I also noticed a lot of tables nearby that were empty. Perhaps trying to get away with not tipping.

This used to happen regularly.

Celebrity have 2 ways to get round the non- payment of tips:

1)Pre- pay if you are On Select dining

2) yor tips are deducted daily from your account.

How much leeway does the Maître d give you for that 6 pm seating. Can you still be seated at 6:15, how about 6:30. Any info greatly appreciated. This is our first time not booking "anytime dining", in a long time.

Does your employer allow you to be late for work 15 minutes? If you plan to be late all the time either get a table for two, switch to anytime dining or eat in your room.

How much leeway does the Maître d give you for that 6 pm seating. Can you still be seated at 6:15, how about 6:30. Any info greatly appreciated. This is our first time not booking "anytime dining", in a long time.

We had a table for 2 as well. We were late a few times..6:15-6:30. The staff figured us out pretty quickly & knew we can eat quickly if need be, so we never had any issues. Still I wouldn't really push the limit however.

We usually decide on whether or not to dine in the MDR by the night's menu, which usually isn't released until day of (unless you request to see the next day's menu). So would it be rude of us to not show up for certain nights? We have to let them know every night we wish not to dine in the MDR? I've never thought of it that way, making others wait (we have always had a table for 2 or anytime). If people really aren't showing up, how long is the wait staff supposed to wait around until they realize they aren't coming?

On a side note, on the Allure last year, the last night, we didn't show up for dinner. We just weren't hungry, but we came in about an hour into service (doors were still open) to give our waiter and his asst extra tips. They begged us to stay and eat. (Maybe bc we showed up with tips?) I also noticed a lot of tables nearby that were empty. Perhaps trying to get away with not tipping. :(

If you're going to skip a dinner, you should let them know!