1st time on Ruby: few questions

Kernowcruizer

Hi everyone!

We have been on Grand Princess a few times but, are excited to be going on Ruby Princess next month to the North Cape!

We have a few questions.... is there a power socket behind the bed as there is on Grand?? As this is 220v we use it to plug our 4 gang in to re-charge batteries etc.

Can you stand on the area above the bridge or thereabouts as we've enjoyed this on other ships? If so which deck do you get there & is there a "secret" door?

How much are the washers & driers in the laundrette?

Any other tips or not to miss places etc on the Ruby??? We'd love to hear from people who have recently cruised on her.

Thanks to everyone who replies & "happy cruising"!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hi everyone!

We have been on Grand Princess a few times but, are excited to be going on Ruby Princess next month to the North Cape!

We have a few questions.... is there a power socket behind the bed as there is on Grand?? As this is 220v we use it to plug our 4 gang in to re-charge batteries etc. not that I am aware of, but honestly never looked

Can you stand on the area above the bridge or thereabouts as we've enjoyed this on other ships? If so which deck do you get there & is there a "secret" door? Yes...but will be locked while sailing...and sometimes in port...we were aboard her 3 weeks ago and were able to go out once (can't remember which port) but tried again a couple days later and LOCKED.

How much are the washers & driers in the laundrette? $2.00 per machine

Any other tips or not to miss places etc on the Ruby??? We'd love to hear from people who have recently cruised on her.

Thanks to everyone who replies & "happy cruising"!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic...see above in red & enjoy the Ruby, she is a great ship :D

Edited by TLC535

Thanks for your help. Do you know if the sockets on the desk are ok to charge the batteries?? We are keen photographers & get through a load of batteries on a cruise. We also take my laptop to download the photos in the evening so will the power be enough for that? We absolutely love Princess & the Grand & are very much looking forward to the cruise on Ruby.

We brought a 3 outlet power strip/surge protector with us and used it at the desk outlet for everything (charging iPad, phones, camera batteries, blow dryer) though not all at the same time of course ;) - had no issues whatsoever :D

Ruby was a great ship. We enjoyed the pool bar, Outrigger, at the aft of the ship on 15. Christopher was a sweet, great bartender. Great smile. We have always loved dining in the MDR. This trip, we ate at Horizon Court quite a few times. Enjoyed having a table to ourselves and the staff was always asking if we needed something. Adagio Bar has an elegant feel to it. Great martinis. Can't remember the bartenders name, but he was from England. If you have fussy hair, take your own shampoo and conditioner. If you like bar soap, bring a small one. Walgreens sells travel size bars of soap. If the illusionist is still on the ship, he was great. He was on America's Got Talent. If you like lox and bagels, Horizon Court has them most mornings. Yum! The hard rolls are to die for. I consumed way too many. Room service for breakfast will bring them to you if you ask. ;)

Enjoy. I think you will!!

The "secret door" is way forward on the Lido deck. The starboard one was locked but the port side one was open. We stood up there during sailaway. Fantastic!!

We used the outlet by the desk for our chargers. You can lay your camera, laptop, etc., on top of the desk and plug it right in. No problems at all.

Enjoy your cruise. :-)

Thanks for all the replies. We are getting very excited now!!! Does anyone know who the CD is? We are hoping for some good acts in the theatre, suppose its too much to ask for new shows?:confused:

Any more tips, photos etc would be appreciated.

Thanks Everyone

Colin Banyard was the CD when we got off the Ruby on 4/27.

The magician was Landon Swank.

The pool that you enter from the spa is an adults only pool and has comfy loungers. It is protected pretty much on all sides, but not enclosed.

Café Caribe is in the aft of the ship adjacent to Horizon Court. It is a smaller version of HC, but we enjoyed it. Did not have the lox and bagels in the morning, though. Had to go to HC for those.

You need to learn what elevators go where and how to get there from here, etc. Sounds funny, but true. You will know what I mean when you get there. ;)

I'm very excited for you. What is your itinerary?

All of the Grand class ships from the oldest (Grand) to the newest (Ruby) have a 220/240 volt outlet under the bed nearest the bathroom. It is used for the light on the nightstand that is moved when beds are converted from queen to twin configuration. If it worked for you on the Grand it should work for you on the Ruby.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you like wine, as soon as you get on go down to Vines and sign up for the Old World wine tasting with Alan. $15 and quite the deal. Alan was our "consummate host". They also have a New World tasting. These tastings only take 10 people and are alot of fun. They are hosted in Vines and although they have eliminated the sommoliers, I probably learned more from Alan. He was fun and unpretentious and quite knowledgeable.

If you enjoyed the Grand (our least favorite ship) you should love the Ruby (one of our favorites) :D

Have a great cruise !!

I agree. The Grand is my least favorite ship. You'll have a great cruise.

The key to the Ruby (and her sister ships for that matter) is to use deck 7 the Promenade Deck as your thoroughfare. Dining rooms on 6 and 5 midships. Horizon Court on 15. Princess theater on 6/7. It's easy once you learn her. She too is our favorite ship. We've done 26 days on her and another 14 on her sister ship the Crown. You'll fall in love all over again!!

Cheers, Kenn

When we sail on the Ruby in January they had some BBQ items at the Trident Grill in the evening. Cafe Caribe had some ethnic (Asian, Mexican) lunches but they closed them up pretty early, hmmm, maybe around 1:45.

They had a fresh strawberry/ grape salad in the HC for lunch. We always stole the strawberries for our breakfast cereal. We rarely find fresh berries on the ships.

The starboard hot tub at the spa pool was usually the warmest

Have a great cruise. Wish we were joining you!

Wow! Thank you all for the very useful information!! I know where to look for the socket behind the bed as same place as Grand!! We'll certainly try all the food suggestions & maybe the wine tasting! We did the culinary demo on Grand (twice) & the galley tour but, enjoyed it so much we'll go again!! Is the pool that is adult only a "freebie" or do you pay as part of the Spa? Can't wait to try the hot-tubs, we love them!!!

Our itinerary is The North Cape & Fjords.(16th-28th June) We've been to the Fjords before & love the scenery, first time to the North Cape/Arctic circle. Ports are (not in order) Bergen, Geiranger, Flam, Tromso, Trondheim, Honnisvag, Stavanger. We've excursions booked for the Flam railway & North Cape.

We really appreciate you all taking time to answer our questions & are sure we'll love the Ruby. I'll post a review when we get back.

The pool is just below the "pay for" sanctuary and yes it is a "freebie";) and when we were aboard the hot tub on the starboard side was the warmest...almost too warm, at least on a hot sunny day, but you can always jump in the pool to cool off, and I really loved the "swim against the current" end of that pool.

Edited by TLC535

We really appreciate you all taking time to answer our questions & are sure we'll love the Ruby. I'll post a review when we get back.

Have a wonderful time on Ruby (we love that ship)! We'll be looking forward to your review. :)

LuLu

Thanks for all the replies. We are getting very excited now!!! Does anyone know who the CD is? We are hoping for some good acts in the theatre, suppose its too much to ask for new shows?:confused:

Any more tips, photos etc would be appreciated.

Thanks Everyone

You will have a fantastic time on the Ruby. She and her sisters in class just beat out the Sapphire/Diamond as our favorite class of Princess ship. I have a ton of ship pictures on my flickr page. If you'd care to take a look, the link is in my signature. Once you click the link, go to albums page where you'll find my two Ruby cruises (2009 & 2011).....:):):)

Bob

You will have a fantastic time on the Ruby. She and her sisters in class just beat out the Sapphire/Diamond as our favorite class of Princess ship. I have a ton of ship pictures on my flickr page. If you'd care to take a look, the link is in my signature. Once you click the link, go to albums page where you'll find my two Ruby cruises (2009 & 2011).....:):):)

Bob

Thanks so much for the good words! I have never sailed the Ruby or the Emerald, but I am now planning to cruise on them. Thanks:)

Will be on the Ruby very soon ! :D

Where's the best place for Embarkation lunch ?

At Bingo, do they use the good ole cards or the electronic ones ?

Does the ship have Coke or Pepsi, Dr Pepper ?

Sabatinis OR Crown Grill ?

Thanks in advance :)

Will be on the Ruby very soon ! :D

Where's the best place for Embarkation lunch ? One of the Main Dining Rooms, open from noon until 1:30. Check the Patter back page to see which one is open.

At Bingo, do they use the good ole cards or the electronic ones ?

Does the ship have Coke or Pepsi, Dr Pepper ?

Sabatinis OR Crown Grill ? Which do you like better, Northern Italian food or a steak meal.?

Thanks in advance :)

see above in red