Eating with your fingers!

DonLou

;) Have you ever been tempted to forego good etiquette and pick up that delicious piece of food off your plate with your fingers and just eat it?

My wife and I were in the formal dining room having dinner with a lovely Canadian couple who were our tablemates. On this particular day, it was formal night and we men were in our tuxes and the women in elegant dresses.

We all chose lamb chops for dinner and when it came, it smelled and looked fabulous. After awhile, the Canadian wife coyly looked at me and said out loud, "If I were at home, I would be eating the rest of this lamb chop with my fingers". I knew what she was getting at. She was trying to get my okay to go for it. My mouth was drooling looking at my lamb chops. Unfortunately, I cruelly resisted the temptation, smiled weakly, and changed the subject. So we were all doomed to eat that lamb chop with just our knives and fork. Try getting to the good stuff with those things!

Anyone with a similar experience?

I would have to say No fingers to be use for food at dinner......Even lunch ...I do not order things in public that may require me to use my fingers like ribs, chicken wings etc...

The only thing I eat with my hands is sandwiches, burgers (fork for the fries) and sometimes pizza.

Artichokes, mussels, asparagus, fried chicken and lamb chops (to finish 'em off!).

Cheers

MarkB

Are you absolutely sure MarkB????:confused: At first I was happy when I read your comment and now I'm mad. I wasted a perfectly good lamb chop bone? Grrrrr!!!

Yep; I speak only the truth. Emily Post and Ms. Manners are old friends. Google up some etiquette references, but it has to do with foods which are poorly designed for consumption with flatware. Just don't toss the bones over your shoulder like Henry 8th and you're OK. Enjoy

Cheers

MarkB

When I order rack of lamb (one of my favorites!), I eat the majority of the meat w/ a knife and fork, but I'm always tempted to pick up the bone w/ my fingers and get any remaining meat, I would do it if I was in a corner w/ nobody else around; I'm also a charm school grad, but rack of lamb is too good to waste!

When I order rack of lamb (one of my favorites!), I eat the majority of the meat w/ a knife and fork, but I'm always tempted to pick up the bone w/ my fingers and get any remaining meat, I would do it if I was in a corner w/ nobody else around; I'm also a charm school grad, but rack of lamb is too good to waste!

The rules say you may. Go to it, but in a genteel manner.

Oh, and add sushi to the list.

Cheers

MarkB

Yep, Shona, I have to agree! I hope to see people eating and laughing and really enjoying themselves. You CAN do this and still be respectful of yourself and others. Wipe your face every now and then, use your pinky :) and enjoy your food and cruise. My goodness, with all do respect, enjoy your life and if given a single moment when you can possibly laugh, DO IT! Don't watch for who is and who isn't the most extreme proper person, you will make me and hopefully, if I am lucky, my tablemates uncomfortable. If you sit with us, you are guaranteed to have a good time cuz that is what we are going for. If you don't smile and are watching to criticize who is doing something improper and are at my table, SEE YA, cuz I am sitting somewhere else! :p

Yep; I speak only the truth. Emily Post and Ms. Manners are old friends. Google up some etiquette references, but it has to do with foods which are poorly designed for consumption with flatware. Just don't toss the bones over your shoulder like Henry 8th and you're OK. Enjoy

Cheers

MarkB

You're right. It's absolutely proper to pick up the remainder of the lamb chop once the meat that comes easily off with a knife and fork is finished.

Personally, I don't do because I don't like to touch my food, but it is 100% Emily Post approved.

Jane

French Fries, pizza are definitely finger food wherever they are served - although I don't order them at dinner on the ship! I'm not sure about eating pork or lamb chops with my fingers at dinner - not so much because of eating with my fingers, but becasue it's just so messy on the face! I'd do it if I could do it without getting my face too messy! At home, I'd have no problem - and use plenty of napkins!

And boiled/steamed lobster - of course there has to be hands involved!:D And shrimp - if the little tails are left on to hold onto!

I usually do sushi with chopsticks, if available, (to show off! :rolleyes: ) but sushi is meant to be eaten with your fingers, in ONE bite! I think maybe in the US - the land of supersize - sushi is made a bit larger than is traditional - because I find it easier to fit in my mouth in TWO bites!

Artichokes, mussels, asparagus, fried chicken and lamb chops (to finish 'em off!).

Cheers

MarkB

I still can't bring myself to eat asparagus the "proper" way (with your fingers). I cut it in inch or so long pieces,spear it with the fork, and then eat it that way. Also, I do believe it is alright to eat the bread at dinner with your fingers (just don't bite the whole thing and then put it back down! :p ). I'll eat with my fingers sometimes in a casual setting (picnic, bbq rib joint, etc), but I expressly try to avoid it in the dining room of a cruise ship, or anywhere else even slightly formal.

I still can't bring myself to eat asparagus the "proper" way (with your fingers). I cut it in inch or so long pieces,spear it with the fork, and then eat it that way. Also, I do believe it is alright to eat the bread at dinner with your fingers (just don't bite the whole thing and then put it back down! :p ). I'll eat with my fingers sometimes in a casual setting (picnic, bbq rib joint, etc), but I expressly try to avoid it in the dining room of a cruise ship, or anywhere else even slightly formal.

The rules don't say you must; they say you may.:)

Cheers

MarkB

Ribs, burgers, hot dogs, any other sandwiches, pizza, french fries, fried chicken (with the bone in), bread and rolls, breadsticks, shrimp cocktail with tails on, all shellfish in the shell (shrimp, lobster, crab, clams, etc.), and some others I am forgetting, were meant to be eaten with your hands!! So to me, those are a must. They just taste better when eaten with the hands, in my opinion.

I don't think I would pick up a lamb chop or anything like that and eat it with my hands at dinner. But I certainly wouldn't be insulted if someone at my table or at another table within my view did it!

Bonnie

I'm sorry folks, I'm not on the ship to impress anyone. I'm there for vacation and to have a good time. If my tablemates aren't impressed with my down to earth manners then I'm sorry. If I want to use my fingers I do. I don't worry about what others think. There's greater things in this world to think or worry about. Just have fun living life. Don't let live ruin your fun.

Archived