Marriage license for passport?

Ok so just called Royal Caribbean to confirm but it still makes me so nervous!! Haven't cruised since 2007 and since then I have been married so my name has changed. RCI is saying all I need to bring is my ID, passport and Marriage license. Trying to be trusting, but has anyone actually done this? I do have time to get a new one but if I don't need to go through the hassle then why not? Anyone who has actually just taken their marriage license,please ease my fears! Thanks so much!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok so just called Royal Caribbean to confirm but it still makes me so nervous!! Haven't cruised since 2007 and since then I have been married so my name has changed. RCI is saying all I need to bring is my ID, passport and Marriage license. Trying to be trusting, but has anyone actually done this? I do have time to get a new one but if I don't need to go through the hassle then why not? Anyone who has actually just taken their marriage license,please ease my fears! Thanks so much!!

Okay, so I'm assuming that your name on the passport is your maiden name, and that you changed your name when married? And the cruise is booked in your married name? Then you will need the passport and marriage license (as a bridge document to document the name change). Not sure if you need a photo ID in name on booking in addition, but if that is what RCI told you, you should be fine. The passport is now taking the place of your birth certificate. Those who cruise on the BC/DL documentation should bring a bridge document to link the two names on the two documents, but it is rarely asked for.

All you need to do is book the cruise in whatever name is on your passport - I assume its your maiden name - then all you need to bring is the passport - no other ID or marriage certificate is necessary.

This. I did this for travel after getting married. I know it feels weird but it is a lot less hassle.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Does the name on your passport match the name on your Government Photo ID such as your Driver's License and the name on your booking ? If so than no marriage license needed.

If either the name on your passport and or the Government Photo ID does NOT match your name on your booking than a Marriage License IS required to link everything.

My passport has my maiden name, I have booked my cruises under my maiden name. When I order my new passport I will change to my married name. My driver's license has both names, when I make air reservations the ticket has both names.

Does the name on your passport match the name on your Government Photo ID such as your Driver's License and the name on your booking ? If so than no marriage license needed.

If either the name on your passport and or the Government Photo ID does NOT match your name on your booking than a Marriage License IS required to link everything.

A passport is a gov't photo ID. If you have a passport, you don't need to use a driver's license.

My passport has my maiden name. My license and all other documents have my new name (which has been since 2009). Guess I have options...just good to know others have changed the name and been ok. Thanks!!

Not sure when you are sailing... but this is the link for information on changing your name on your passport. It is a good idea to keep your passport up to date with changes, as you would your driver's license.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

But, as others have said... sailing with the documents you have mentioned will get you on the ship and back home.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

I spent 3 years after I got married traveling internationally with my passport in my maiden name. I actually JUST got my new one with my married name on it for our upcoming cruise :) Like others said, put the reservation in your maiden name and you will be fine.

I had legally changed my name on everything else so all my other documents had my married name but since they don't look at them when you have a passport it doesn't matter

It's very normal and routine. Don't worry about it at all.

RCI is saying all I need to bring is my ID, passport and Marriage license. Trying to be trusting...

Why are you nervous and distrustful? They must deal with this from passengers at the pier at every embarkation. A marriage license is the bridging document. If you are going to cruise or fly using a name other than what is on your passport, you must provide the bridging document.

All you need to do is book the cruise in whatever name is on your passport - I assume its your maiden name - then all you need to bring is the passport - no other ID or marriage certificate is necessary.

I did this same thing with zero issues.

Why are you nervous and distrustful? They must deal with this from passengers at the pier at every embarkation. A marriage license is the bridging document. If you are going to cruise or fly using a name other than what is on your passport, you must provide the bridging document.

Just nervous I would get that one person who would tell me wrong. Thank god for this board- my fears have been eased!!

Obviously it doesn't or the op would not be asking

All of the above is true, but how long has it been since your passport was issued? The implication is at least 7 years unless you renewed after your last cruise and before your marriage.

Renewal with name change is extremely easy, and will give you a new, 10-year passport. You say you've got time; if you're going to have to renew in 3 years or less, you're dragging your marriage certificate along to "save" $33 at most.

You don't have to, but I'd just file the name change...

Edited by markeb

A passport is a gov't photo ID. If you have a passport, you don't need to use a driver's license.

Only if the passport is in the same name as the reservation.

My passport has my maiden name. My license and all other documents have my new name (which has been since 2009). Guess I have options...just good to know others have changed the name and been ok. Thanks!!

Just change your name on your reservation to match your passport. Its really not that big a deal. Enjoy:)

Edited by LovesCruising

this is true , i never had to show my driver license only my passport so that would work fine for a her im sure.

I changed my name on my passport once I changed my name legally! I'm sure the other way will be fine though. The part that can be a hassle is that it has to be a "official" marriage license to renew your passport. Couldn't just be a copy. I would make sure that the marriage license you have is correct or "official" enough for at the terminal! Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only if the passport is in the same name as the reservation.

If the passport is not in the same name as the reservation, then you need a bridging document - the marriage certificate. A driver's license is not relevant.