I wish Carnival would charge a fee and let me bring my own booze!

Tutontow

Two years ago we traveled on Holland America (Carnival is the parent company) and ordered 2 bottles for our cabin. The prices were double what you would pay retail at the departure port. That's not outrageous and I paid the price.

I just booked Carnival, checked the prices of alcohol and was shocked. These prices are 4x's the the retail price. This company doesn't pay United States retail. Their cost per bottle is wholesale from the country of lowest cost.

Personally, I'm not willing to pay that price. I'm curious to know if it's the Carnival line that's more expensive (younger and more likely to drink) than the Holland line (older (much older) and less likely to indulge) or have the prices raised that much in the past two years.

I wish Carnival would charge me a fee such as $40.00 and allow me to bring up to one liter of my favorite booze on board.

It could be as simple as you pay online and then print some sort of a form showing you are allowed to bring your one bottle on board.

Actually, I think this is a really good idea. Posting to John Heald's facebook will more likely to get action. Maybe if enough people post, the beards may take a more serious look at the issue.

I wish Carnival would charge me a fee such as $40.00 and allow me to bring up to one liter of my favorite booze on board.

It could be as simple as you pay online and then print some sort of a form showing you are allowed to bring your one bottle on board.

I'd be willing to pay a "corkage" fee to bring my fave spirit on board. It makes zero sense to me to allow wine drinkers their wine but not others. I personally love to have Baileys in my coffee. I'd be willing to pay their corkage fee and purchase their cokes even...for my malibu lol.

they could make a killing on people who are so darn addicted to their cokes if they would not allow someone to carry on water and cokes. i say just ban them all or allow them all. Quit discriminating! :cool:

Seriously though, I wouldn't want the to take those liberties away, I'd just like it to be fair.

I'd be willing to pay a "corkage" fee to bring my fave spirit on board. It makes zero sense to me to allow wine drinkers their wine but not others. I personally love to have Baileys in my coffee. I'd be willing to pay their corkage fee and purchase their cokes even...for my malibu lol.

they could make a killing on people who are so darn addicted to their cokes if they would not allow someone to carry on water and cokes. i say just ban them all or allow them all. Quit discriminating! :cool:

Seriously though, I wouldn't want the to take those liberties away, I'd just like it to be fair.

I'm almost surprised there has never been a court challenge to allowing people to bring their own wine on board but not their own liquor or beer. As for me, $90 for a bottle of bourbon makes me understand why some people smuggle it on, or just don't drink during the cruise. I understand the cruise line has to make money, but gouging the way they do seems heavy handed to me. Just MHO.

Two years ago we traveled on Holland America (Carnival is the parent company) and ordered 2 bottles for our cabin. The prices were double what you would pay retail at the departure port. That's not outrageous and I paid the price.

I just booked Carnival, checked the prices of alcohol and was shocked. These prices are 4x's the the retail price. This company doesn't pay United States retail. Their cost per bottle is wholesale from the country of lowest cost.

Personally, I'm not willing to pay that price. I'm curious to know if it's the Carnival line that's more expensive (younger and more likely to drink) than the Holland line (older (much older) and less likely to indulge) or have the prices raised that much in the past two years.

Carnival's booze prices have risen substantially (two different ties) in the last two years. My guess would be that HAL is the same or approx prices. As example, in Carnival we used to be able to get a one liter bottle of absolute from BV for $40 then it went to $60 then it went to $75.

I'm almost surprised there has never been a court challenge to allowing people to bring their own wine on board but not their own liquor or beer. As for me, $90 for a bottle of bourbon makes me understand why some people smuggle it on, or just don't drink during the cruise. I understand the cruise line has to make money, but gouging the way they do seems heavy handed to me. Just MHO.

I would be surprised if there is an option for a court challenge, but I am no lawyer. The fact of the matter is that it is their ballgame, they can do whatever they want. There is also a clear message on how they want you to buy your alcohol.

I would be surprised if there is an option for a court challenge, but I am no lawyer. The fact of the matter is that it is their ballgame, they can do whatever they want. There is also a clear message on how they want you to buy your alcohol.

And I'm certainly not advocating that route; however given our overly litigous society, I am surprised no one has tried it. After all, one could make the argument that one type of alcoholic beverage allowed implies that all types should be allowed. I'm ok with having to pay for my drinks; I just wish they didn't charge such high prices for them. And you are correct - their game, their rules. You can either pay the price they charge, or choose not to play at all.

And I'm certainly not advocating that route; however given our overly litigous society, I am surprised no one has tried it. After all, one could make the argument that one type of alcoholic beverage allowed implies that all types should be allowed. I'm ok with having to pay for my drinks; I just wish they didn't charge such high prices for them. And you are correct - their game, their rules. You can either pay the price they charge, or choose not to play at all.

Now that legal issues have arisen in this discussion, let me state my opinion on this. Each and every state has limits on how much beer, wine, and liquor may be brought into the state for personal consumption. (I know, no one ever checks, or how do they know, etc). Maine and New Hampshire have very different laws on liquor pricing, and many Mainers cross the state line to shop at NH liquor stores. Maine has posted revenue agents outside the NH stores, looking for cars with Maine plates, and who carry boxes of liquor out of the store, and then stop you as soon as you cross the border, so I know it does happen, but how frequently across the country, I can't say.

I think that if the cruise line said you could pay a "corkage" fee for bringing your own liquor, that would be prima fascia evidence of them condoning interstate transport of liquor, and they wouldn't want to touch that.

I believe that the foreign flag ships are allowed to buy bonded liquor stores, but I think they must have some compensation to the state where they are docked, other than sales tax, when they serve drinks inside of 12 miles.

The reason airlines use the miniature bottles on domestic flights, but many pour from bottles on Hawaiian flights or international was explained to me as getting around the various bartender laws in the various states flown over. So, this kind of interstate transport may be one reason this will never happen.

Okay, fire suit on, flame away, JMHO.

The only flaming I will do is a question: Is not someone from Maine a Maniac not a Mainer? A little humor....

Interesting points on state lies and taxmen (revenuers) getting their state's fair share. You might be right. The only state we have experienced anything close to this was Texas. They had very specific ideas on bringing back bottles off the ship (which is a little different than this discussion of bringing things on the ship) but still relevant.

The only flaming I will do is a question: Is not someone from Maine a Maniac not a Mainer? A little humor....

Interesting points on state lies and taxmen (revenuers) getting their state's fair share. You might be right. The only state we have experienced anything close to this was Texas. They had very specific ideas on bringing back bottles off the ship (which is a little different than this discussion of bringing things on the ship) but still relevant.

You're thinking of the semi-pro hockey team, and that is "Maineiac" not Maniac. :D Would we be Maineiacs for keeping the best lobster away from "flatlanders" like you Connecticut folks? :p

Edited by chengkp75

Carnival's booze prices have risen substantially (two different ties) in the last two years. My guess would be that HAL is the same or approx prices. As example, in Carnival we used to be able to get a one liter bottle of absolute from BV for $40 then it went to $60 then it went to $75.

Check out the room service menu at the Seminole Hard Rock in Tampa.

Absolute is $100.00, Bombay Sapphire is $110.00, Crown Royal is $150.00. all things considered I don't feel that Carnivals prices are that bad. I know at a hotel you can bring your own booze and Carnival doesn't give us that option but I really don't mind Carnival's prices. I can justify it by say what the heck I am on vacation.

You're thinking of the semi-pro hockey team, and that is "Maineiac" not Maniac. :D Would we be Maineiacs for keeping the best lobster away from "flatlanders" like you Connecticut folks? :p

We grow them small and (already flavored by Long Island Sound) down here. We sneak up from time to time and steal a few tho.... Actually when I was in college I worked at a Friendly's and the manager was from Maine. He told me they were called "state of Mainers" (no idea why I remember that, it was long long ago) Did not know if he was in jest or not......way off topic.

Check out the room service menu at the Seminole Hard Rock in Tampa.

Absolute is $100.00, Bombay Sapphire is $110.00, Crown Royal is $150.00. all things considered I don't feel that Carnivals prices are that bad. I know at a hotel you can bring your own booze and Carnival doesn't give us that option but I really don't mind Carnival's prices. I can justify it by say what the heck I am on vacation.

I would not disagree, just stating the recent (relatively speaking) past. While we have bought bottles i the past, I end up giving some of it away to the hired help. We drink them one at a time now.

My guess the vast majority of people who smuggle is because it is significantly cheaper. The point is mute because it will never happen anyway. They have raised BV prices two times in the last 18 months. They clearly want to steer customer to per drink buying vs bottle or brought on.

The word is moot, not mute. :rolleyes::rolleyes: