Bad experience on the Explorer

Just got off the Explorer today. The cruise was lovely, Bermuda was gorgeous, but WOW (and not in a good way) the debarkation was awful!!

This was my 15th cruise and never had such a bad experience getting off the ship. We were taking our own luggage off and in doing so you are the first people off. We were to go to the Palace Theatre on deck 3 to wait to be called off by floor. Upon getting there it was so crowded you couldn't even get inside because people were blocking the entrance with their luggage and weren't budging. Finally after standing there a long time they called us to go down to level 1 and debark. Well you couldn't move there were people everywhere and crowding in from all sides. A female staff member was telling us there was only one bus taking people to the terminal. Then a guy staff employee came and started yelling at all of us to get back into the theatre that it was a safety hazard. No one would move he called for help and no one came. You couldn't get down the steps because she wasn't letting anyone go down them and telling us we had to use the elevators. Mind you the entire area outside the theatre and the steps coming down from the promenade were filled with people. After 2 1/2 hours of standing in the mob scene we got off the ship.

When we got in the terminal we saw that many people with numbered tags were already off the ship had collected their luggage and were gone. The parking lot was about half empty. Such a shame that Royal Caribbean allowed this to take place. People could have gotten hurt and I am sure that some missed their flights.

After a great cruise on Explorer, I experienced a similar fiasco debarking. I think there are three contributing factors. First, far too many people got off when they wanted and just headed down steps and elevators. Second, no matter how fast the buses to the terminal arrive, loading still slows the process, especially with more carry-off luggage than there was carry-on luggage.

But worst of all is departing on such a low level where six elevators and two staircases converge on a very small area not designed for total debarkation. It is not like departing from a more spacious higher public deck with far easier, more open access. Elevators came down with passengers and there was no room for them to get off; the area was totally clogged. Steps were backed up two levels. The only workers were at the podiums; no one was available to organize the masses.

In twelve cruises, it was definitely the most difficult debarkation. When I sail Explorer again this August, since we drive we are prepared just to wait to be among the last to exit.

Sorry you had such a horrible debarkation process. That must have been very frustrating. No one wants to go home anyway, let alone deal with that mess. I am forewarned.

I am going on the Explorer in Jan. How was the rest of the cruise?

I'm sorry you had such a bad ending to a good cruise. I do appreciate you posting this though, because I now know that we will not do the early walk off when we sail on Explorer in Oct.

Edited by Irene7

Sorry you had a bad time of it. How was the rest of your trip though? We are going on Explorer in Sept. and driving to the port, so no rush for us to get off. We will let everyone else get off and take our time.

Sorry you had such a horrible debarkation process. That must have been very frustrating. No one wants to go home anyway' date=' let alone deal with that mess. I am forewarned.

I am going on the Explorer in Jan. How was the rest of the cruise?[/quote']

The cruise was very good. We do love the ship and staff for the most part is great. Met a lot of nice people. Just a shame about the debarkation.

The "port" at Bayonne is the armpit of the cruising world. When we disembarked from a cruise there we had to wait in a long line to get on a bus to the port building..................THEN the bus just sat in a long line of at least 15 other buses since they were unloading only one bus at a time. That time the problem was that it was Dec 22nd and many customs officials and baggage handlers went Christmas shopping instead of coming to work. It took us over 2 hr from getting in line on the ship until we finally got our bags and went through customs.

We have gone on one additional cruise out of Bayonne on the Explorer to Bermuda since then but have vowed NEVER to go back regardless of the deals or itineraries it is just too much of a hassle in embarkation but particularly the stupid disembarkation process; this port has expensive parking to boot but I guess the comparison to that in Manhattan makes it look like a good deal to people in NY and NJ

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

e

When we got in the terminal we saw that many people with numbered tags were already off the ship had collected their luggage and were gone.

If they were already gone, how do you know they had had numbered tags???

:confused:

They have changed the process and procedures of Express Walkoff almost every one of the 13 times I have sailed the Explorer over the past 7 years. They cannot get it right. If you are going to offer express walk-off, you have to assign enough staff to faciliate the process and make sure cruisers follow procedures. When you allow people to do whatever they want, they will do whatever they want. I also came off the ship this morning. I had a normal size carry-on and a backpack. When they instructed us to proceed from Studio B and disembark, there were already tons of people waiting in the stairwell and coming from all different directions, some dragging 2 full size suitcases down the stairs. Maybe it isn't wise to use express walk-off if you have to carry 2 full size suitcases. Why do I do it? Because I can get off early enough and drive straight to work, but I make sure my luggage is manageable.

Hi puggylicious,

I was on that cruise, too. I was taking a bus back home via Academy. In addition to the self assist departure, they also had early transfers and entertainment tour/group departure meeting in the Palace Theater. Some of the people on the bus were there and got caught up in the mess. They eventually had them go down to the other set of elevators and exit Aft instead of Forward.

Although I was lucky enough to have Diamond/Emerald luggage tags and meet in the Dining Room on Deck 5 and make it to the bus on time for 10AM, we didn't have everyone onboard the bus until 11AM.

Part of the problem was there were too many people doing self assist, especially with the buses to get from ship to terminal. The other part of the problem was the rain. Also heard they sent people back to the ship who didn't listen and tried to leave before their luggage tags were called.

April 2 years ago getting off the ship was a breeze and it was sunny. Getting on a shuttle bus to the terminal was a mess. Then there were too many people with wheelchairs and scooters trying to get on the same bus, and the line kept getting longer outside the ship.

The good news is that the construction going on next to the ship in Bayonne is to build a terminal building so everyone can enter and exit the ship on a higher deck via a better gangway.

Must say, until arriving in Bayonne this morning, it was a great cruise with great weather and great people (both staff/crew and guests). Really enjoyed Bermuda.

Edited by TM38Rob

Fortunately, after quite a while of no visible progress, there is real movement/progress on the new terminal.

Then the bus process will no longer be used, and you will board the Quantum/Liberty/Anthem as you would any other ship.

:)

Fortunately, after quite a while of no visible progress, there is real movement/progress on the new terminal.

Then the bus process will no longer be used, and you will board the Quantum/Liberty/Anthem as you would any other ship.

:)

I really hope the new terminal will be fully operational when we sail Quantum. Although we live an hour away, we never attempt the self disembark. I would rather wait in relative comfort onboard than be stuck with the masses trying to exit the ship.

I get a charge out of those who say never again because of a 2 hr inconvenience.

The'd rather go to an airport an hr or 2 before the flight and then fly 3 or so hrs. And then do it again coming home.

Maybe Bayonne should eliminate self disembark until the new terminal can handle it

If they were already gone, how do you know they had had numbered tags???

:confused:

Because when we got to the terminal there were people there getting their luggage out of the areas for luggage tags. Many of which were almost completely empty of luggage. Also the porters were pushing carts full of luggage with tags for people.

Hi puggylicious,

The good news is that the construction going on next to the ship in Bayonne is to build a terminal building so everyone can enter and exit the ship on a higher deck via a better gangway.

Must say, until arriving in Bayonne this morning, it was a great cruise with great weather and great people (both staff/crew and guests). Really enjoyed Bermuda.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise too. It was very good until the end, but I wouldn't let it ruin the good time for me.

Yes fingers crossed the terminal will be completed by the time we go on the Quantum.

OP, like you wanted off the ship fast it appears now a days that half the people want the same thing.

Solution don't take off your own luggage and wait to get off.

Well I do have to agree with you. Even though I have never had a problem doing the self assist debarkation before. I may just wait next time.

A good way to do self debarkation on the Explorer is wait until the end and then head straight down. It is so disorganized everyone is on their own.

The first time we we were told to go to Studio "B", so you spend a half hour trying to get there and when you do you are told to go straight down to deck 1.

Also, what I don't understand is why they don't always load 2 buses at once. The debarkation that went the best was the one that they were bringing 2 buses in the tent for loading at a time. It went so much faster then when they only bring one in at a time. It doesn't make sense since there are always buses sitting in line.

It will be nice when they finish the new terminal. I don't think it is going to done by our inaugural cruise on the Quantum though.

puggylicious.....we had the same problem on our cruise this past December. We did not do the walk off, but are D+, so have a low number tag for debarkation. When we finally got off the ship, after a 2 hr. delay, we got to the terminal and found people in line for customs with 20-40 numbered tags. It was utter chaos. Some people even missed their transportation links.

I only have one more cruise on the Explorer in August, then I will probably not be cruising there for a long time.

Gwen :)

I read somewhere else that a woman fell and that was part of the holdup yesterday.

Bayonne port is "the armpit of cruising" - wow.

I heard an announcement for code alpha alpha alpha on Deck 7 while waiting to leave the ship. After I left the ship and was on the bus waiting to go home, I saw a couple of police cars and an ambulance with flashing lights drive by.

Edited by TM38Rob

Because when we got to the terminal there were people there getting their luggage out of the areas for luggage tags. Many of which were almost completely empty of luggage. Also the porters were pushing carts full of luggage with tags for people.

I just wondered because you said those people were already gone. It's more clear now that I understand that they weren't actually gone, but were in the process of getting their luggage. As for the empty carousels, perhaps all the luggage hadn't yet come out. I know it's SUPPOSED to come out in a particular order, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time a cruise line didn't act accordingly to policy. :)

What's with the shoreside staff at Cape Liberty? I sailed the Explorer to Bermuda about 18 months ago and there was a guy just inside the terminal SCREAMING "SIT DOWN! All of you SIT DOWN! NOW! JUST SIT DOWN." uh…where? the few seats are all taken first of all. Second of all…. "Do NOT yell at me, or anyone else." It was not a case of speaking loudly to be heard. He was a strident harpy and we were all standing there looking at each other as if to say "What the HAIL is he talking about." And he kept screaming. A quite unpleasant way to end a cruise, I'll tell you.

What's with the shoreside staff at Cape Liberty? I sailed the Explorer to Bermuda about 18 months ago and there was a guy just inside the terminal SCREAMING "SIT DOWN! All of you SIT DOWN! NOW! JUST SIT DOWN." uh…where? the few seats are all taken first of all. Second of all…. "Do NOT yell at me, or anyone else." It was not a case of speaking loudly to be heard. He was a strident harpy and we were all standing there looking at each other as if to say "What the HAIL is he talking about." And he kept screaming. A quite unpleasant way to end a cruise, I'll tell you.

Agree with you completely. After a pleasant and efficient check-in, I encountered the screamer back in the "warehouse." Rather than having staff organize people arriving and seating in a recognizable order, they just yelled that people weren't doing as they should. They had never informed anyone what they should be doing.

I was on the sailing too and it really seemed that the code alpha happened and then the cluster mess began to get worse. I was lucky enough to be in a suite so we were told to sit at the schooner bar and would be taken off at 9:30. There were people everywhere..steps..doorways...you could not even get to the bathroom. I'm sure on a nice day most of these people wait right outside on the deck but in the rain no one budged.

The concierge was working overtime on his phone to get things underway and finally at 9:45 they told us there was a problem with the forward elevators and we all had to walk to the aft to get out then there were so many wheel chairs and walkers and the rain! Once we got off the bus it was not even 5 min in luggage claim/customs

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app