Cruising in three weeks and grandson's father now refuses to sign permission slip!!

RCI can be lax in asking for the necessary paperwork. When we travelled out of NOLA on a cruise several years ago with a 17 y.o. friend of our daughter, we were never even asked on embarkation for the permission slip or the medical authorization. However, when we returned the Customs Agent DID ask to see the paperwork and when he realized it was the original documents he was quite indignant that RCI had not collected them on embarkation.

If you live close enough to the father perhaps you could research a local notary and offer to meet him there at a mutually acceptable time. I don't know his circumstances but some people do find it a hassle to track down a notary.

If you can't get his signature and go with the notarized affidavit from your daughter, I think it would be a mistake to go into too much detail. Sometimes the more complicated something sounds, the more complicated it gets. Keep it very simple and straightforward - she has always had legal custody and is authorizing the trip out of the country and is authorizing you to make medical decisions.

If your grandson's last name is the same as yours that will make it even less likely that there will be a problem.

I was blind sided once when asked for the permission form to take my son on a cruise when father couldn't go. Didn't know I had to have the form. I told them at check in when asked about the form that the father was deceased.

End of problem.

Important thing is to get that medical release.

Tucker in Texas

I empathize with the OP. I'm currently trying to coordinate the signing of a permission doc for my granddaughter however in her case both estranged parents will consent.

As a previous poster stated the form is not a major requirement for the TA or cruise line but it is definitely a legal requirement of the US Customs and Border Protection agency. They clearly state that "While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed." I would compare that to the legal requirement to carry a driver's license when you drive. You may live your whole life never being asked for it but if you are you'd better have it.

I am extremely "disappointed" (for lack of another decent word) with the posters advising OP to forge the signature. In doing so, you are knowingly breaking the law and the notary is in complicity.

I think it may be a good idea to have the son ask the father to sign the doc. Also an inquiry to the family court system might offer a way to get emergency custody for your daughter.

I wish you good luck.

I am extremely "disappointed" (for lack of another decent word) with the posters advising OP to forge the signature. In doing so, you are knowingly breaking the law and the notary is in complicity.

Please. When you drive 56 MPH you are breaking the law. :rolleyes:

It is not akin to murder or bank robbery. The intent is to allow a child to have the vacation of a lifetime, not sell him into slavery in some foreign land.

It is not akin to murder or bank robbery. The intent is to allow a child to have the vacation of a lifetime, not sell him into slavery in some foreign land.

I just think some here are making too much of the "what ifs". As I said before RCI is not in the business of denying passage. RCI clearly states that the signature of only ONE parent is necessary. Would they willfully mislead one of their passengers? Closed loop cruise, 15 year old, one signatory, IMHO this "issue" will be a non issue.

And, yes, I could be run over by a truck tomorrow.

I hope this works out for you

my husband's ex is an absentee mother, we were able to track her down and get her signature for a cruise we took last Thanksgiving (she didn't want to sign because, as she put it "I've lived my whole life without going on a cruise, they can, too") but she's since had another child and moved to another state. We are cruising again in 10 months, we have 10 months to track her down!

I will say, though, that no one asked us for the form last time and my last name is not the same as my husband and children. But, I understand not wanting to take a risk!

You don't need her permission if your husband is traveling with you. Only if no parent is there... http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=2702

I am the OP of this thread and regardless of how this situation turns out, I am overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit of 99% of these posts of support and encouragement. Not to sound sappy (I'm a pretty tough cookie due to some life experiences) or morose but aside from two so-so co-workers and my daughter and subject grandson in here in town, have nobody else for support and truly needed some encouragement today and I literally teared up reading the posts. I think my CC family ;) helped me during a tough situation today...kind of like a crisis help line. Granted I may have made too much out of the situation....I hope, but it didn't feel that way this morning.

As in all of life, the best I (we) can do is show up and try and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks again and I WILL let you know how this situation ends. We'll know for sure soon.

Good luck with the cruise. I'm sure that your daughter's signature on the notarized forms will be sufficient but give Royal a call and tell them that you're thinking of taking your grandson on a cruise and tell them that the father is absent and cannot be traced, how should you proceed.

Please, please, please do not offer the "sperm donor" money - not only is it wrong that he should benefit but if your daughter finds out (and I'm sure she would) you could end up losing her and your grandson.

Gill

IMHO It's unfortunate that you choose to make light of a very serious offense. Knowingly submitting a forged document to an agent of the government is a FELONY and it is punishable as such. It, in no way, can be compared to a traffic ticket. Granted this well intentioned GM would most likely be able to clear herself in court but why take the chance of it going that far...over a recreational cruise.

Zoey I hope it all works out for you and your grandson,

but a word of caution, I don't no how things work in the states but last week in the UK, two grandparents were on national news,

because the cruise line (Princess) refused them and their 2 grandchildren on board, even though they had signed paper work,

Princess stated there had to be a parent present at check in as well.

Good luck

One of the highlights of the rest of my workaday, boring like is first planning and booking a cruise and THEN all the pre-cruise planning. Sad, huh?

Well after contemplating for a few months about booking Oasis or Allure, I finally booked Allure for June 1. First I booked solo as I usually do but when I mentioned it to my 15 year old grandson and showed him the ship online he asked if he might go. We have a very close relationship as I half raised him the first few years of his life. So I discussed the possibility with my daughter.

Well......His mother, my daughter, was not married to his father but the father is on the birth certificate (his travel documentation). My daughter says now of course, that that was a BIG mistake. He doesn't pay child support and only tries to see the child every couple of years. Understandably, the boy doesn't want a lot to do with him now. I have told my daughter to see an attorney BUT she still, after 35 years, doesn't LISTEN TO ME!! I don't only side with my daughter in the matter as I know she can be difficult to get along with - so I stay OUT of that situation.

Anyway, she tracked the father down through some type of social media and he said he WOULD sign and would provide my daughter with an address to send the form. When she called him the other day he's now pulling a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, and now says he will NOT sign the form. No real reason...just no. She told him how selfish it was but he still says no.

I'm going to see my grandson Saturday and I guess I'll just tell him I can't get a permission slip signed by his father (without any negative comments - which I would never subject him to).

I JUST CAN'T DECIDE....if he can't go, should I just forfeit the entire cruise, losing $2,500 or should I go alone? I've cruised alone many times but it might feel weird having to leave him behind. If I canceled for this reason would I get any kind of refund, at least the port fees & taxes?

What would you do?

I KNOW there's nothing any of you can do or even probably suggest BUT I'm sitting here in the office at 7:15, alone and feeling sorry for myself, and I guess looking for a little encouragement.

Thanks for listening!!

Please, please, please don't put your Grandson in the middle of this by telling him you want to take him on a cruise but can't because his Father won't sign.

It only hurts your Grandson (coming from someone who deals with domestic relations and broken home children on a daily basis).

I am the OP of this thread and regardless of how this situation turns out, I am overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit of 99% of these posts of support and encouragement. Not to sound sappy (I'm a pretty tough cookie due to some life experiences) or morose but aside from two so-so co-workers and my daughter and subject grandson in here in town, have nobody else for support and truly needed some encouragement today and I literally teared up reading the posts. I think my CC family ;) helped me during a tough situation today...kind of like a crisis help line. Granted I may have made too much out of the situation....I hope, but it didn't feel that way this morning.

As in all of life, the best I (we) can do is show up and try and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks again and I WILL let you know how this situation ends. We'll know for sure soon.

Best luck to you ! I have only provided the advice I can give you from the situations I've been in. It has probably been mentioned before - but the best thing you can do is contact Royal directly - explain the situation, get the persons name you talked to and get the response in writing.

Chances are you will be more than fine with just his mom signing a notorized letter giving you permission - and I don't want to seem negative or anything like that - I hope you are and you have a wonderful vacation.

Best of luck to you and your grandson - and hopefully your daughter will pursue the court orders to legally obtain sole custody so in the future this is always a non-issue!

Please, please, please don't put your Grandson in the middle of this by telling him you want to take him on a cruise but can't because his Father won't sign.

It only hurts your Grandson (coming from someone who deals with domestic relations and broken home children on a daily basis).

I've stated in some of my posts that I would never (and have never), speak negatively to my grandson about his father...I would never do that, I'm much too mature and sensitive to do that.

Until I came to the decision to attempt to board with his mother's signature, I would HAVE to have given him a reason all the sudden he couldn't go, and I think I stated, at least in a roundabout way, that reason would have been "I'm SO sorry, I just can't get the proper forms and documentation to take you."