Kangaroos in Alaska? Please be on the lookout.

Fog123

Hi All,

I do volunteer work with a 9 year old girl. She is not known for attention to detail :)

Last night I told her we were going to Alaska. She got all excited and told me to take lots of pictures. She was very disappointed that her aunt had been and hadn't taken any to share. When I asked her what she wanted pictures of in particular she said that she really wanted to see the kangaroos boxing.

I double checked that she meant Alaska and then gently asked if it were actually Australia that her aunt had visited. She conceded that that might have been the location.

But, she had a smile on her face when she next asked, "Then it would be really cool if you could see a kangaroo in Alaska, wouldn't it?".

So if anyone sees anything kangaroo related in Alaska between now and the first of July when we travel, please let me know and I'll be sure to look it up. We'll be in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

I think I'll google kangaroo towel animals.

Along the same general lines of ignorant (I was going to use another word but I might get into trouble) people, after our Antarctica trip, people asked us if we had seen any polar bears. I told them in all seriousness that we only saw south polar bears. Most of them believed us.

I also told people after our Australia trip that the sun rose in the east because it was south of the equator. Only some people believed us on that one.

DON

Along the same general lines of ignorant (I was going to use another word but I might get into trouble) people, after our Antarctica trip, people asked us if we had seen any polar bears. I told them in all seriousness that we only saw south polar bears. Most of them believed us.

I also told people after our Australia trip that the sun rose in the east because it was south of the equator. Only some people believed us on that one.

DON

Polar bears and penguins - sounds like Christmas advertising. Just one of those things that bugs me, but then, being from Canada, some people believe we live in igloos and keep polar bears for pets!

That's whats great about travel - you learn so much.

I'd be hard pressed to say that my 9 year old friend is ignorant. She doesn't always have a time lapse between brain and mouth and tends to hear what she wants to hear rather than the strict details of the words.

Probably pretty typical of many nine year olds and I'll admit to suffering from the same challenge more often than I would like (but I am a blonde) :)

I loved, loved, loved how she was able to switch it up from a "duh" moment, to a "let's see if we can create some magic" moment that made me laugh out loud. It's part of what makes being with her so special.

the reconstruction of the Mendenhall visitor's center by the Forest Service in the 90's was significant enough to require an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). all comments to an EIS must be addressed and require a response.

many pre-addressed and pre-stamped comment cards were handed to cruise ship passengers as they disembarked in Juneau. the comment cards highlighted that the Forest Service had failed to recognize the impact of the construction on the Mendenhall penguins.

If we were on the same cruise I would bring you a small toy kangaroo to take photos of in Alaska and then take back to her! I could send her a postcard with a photo of a kangaroo if you like, she might think it is fun to receive a postcard from Australia?

BrusselsGirl07, what a wonderful idea! She would love that! Are you on Facebook? Search for Fog Willis and send me a pm, if you don't mind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If we were on the same cruise I would bring you a small toy kangaroo to take photos of in Alaska and then take back to her! I could send her a postcard with a photo of a kangaroo if you like, she might think it is fun to receive a postcard from Australia?

What a nice offer! Love CC!

PS I'm justing reading the Alaska boards.

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fog123 your little friend sounds like a fun person to be with. Conversations with her must be such fun!

BrusselsGirl07, you are a very nice person for your offer.

Cheers, Elizabeth

Hi All,

I do volunteer work with a 9 year old girl. She is not known for attention to detail :)

Last night I told her we were going to Alaska. She got all excited and told me to take lots of pictures. She was very disappointed that her aunt had been and hadn't taken any to share. When I asked her what she wanted pictures of in particular she said that she really wanted to see the kangaroos boxing.

I double checked that she meant Alaska and then gently asked if it were actually Australia that her aunt had visited. She conceded that that might have been the location.

But, she had a smile on her face when she next asked, "Then it would be really cool if you could see a kangaroo in Alaska, wouldn't it?".

So if anyone sees anything kangaroo related in Alaska between now and the first of July when we travel, please let me know and I'll be sure to look it up. We'll be in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

I think I'll google kangaroo towel animals.

She sounds like a delightful young lady. :) I loved the kangaroos in Australia. You can tell her I will be on the lookout in Alaska. :D

I was going to offer photos of kangaroos but a postcard from Australia is even better. :)

Here's a thought for any of you geocachers out there...

[0] Find a kangaroo trinket (keychain, small wooden figurine, etc).

[1] Register and attach a geocache travelbug pendant to it.

[2] Attach a small laminated card containing a note explaining that this kangaroo would love to visit all over the world but would like to see as much of Alaska as possible. Ask people to take pictures of the kangaroo in different Alaskan settings and post them to a travelbug gallery.

[3] Search for a cache in one of the ports you'll be visiting. I'd recommend placing it in a very easy cache.

[4] Take a picture of the kangaroo travel bug in Alaska and log the cache location.

Hopefully this will encourage other cruisers to Alaska to go find the kangaroo and move it around from port to port.

WintrHawk, that's a great idea. My little friend LOVES geocaching. I may actually do it myself.

Off to buy a geotag. I wonder if they have kangaroo ones.☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

An update to Operation Kangaroo,

Yvette (BrusselsGirl07) has sent my little friend (F) a post card from Australia. Yesterday I gave it to her. She was thrilled! Her 10th birthday was this week and she said it was a perfect birthday present.

Just by coincidence this last week they started a module in school where her English teacher wanted to broaden their horizons and writing skills. Her English teacher taught in Australia for a couple of years and the kids are now going to become pen pals with children in Australia.

The teacher has asked the kids to bring in things that made them think of Australia and things that they would like to share with their pen pals. The post card will be front and centre. We're also going to be on the lookout for a perfect post card to send back to Yvette.

It was a bit of an interesting conversation after giving F the post card. Questions like:

"Why is a complete stranger sending me something?",

"How did you meet Yvette?"

"What do you mean you don't actually know Yvette?",

"How do you meet people on-line?",

"Why would you want to meet people on-line?"

"What type of questions did you ask about Alaska?"

"Are there places I can go to meet people on-line?":eek:

F is looking forward to me taking photos of the small kangaroo that Yvette also sent (still in the mail). It'll go with me on my Alaska trip (under 4 weeks to go, yay!) and F is happy that I'll be thinking of her on the cruise.

In my little friend's words, "Awesome!".

Oh, and by the end of the evening, F, her mother, and I were all saying sentences that were confusing Alaska with Australia. The two words just pop out so easily and not always in the right context.

F took great delight in pointing out that I wasn't actually going on a cruise to Australia after I accidentally said it :)

• 1 month later...
An update to Operation Kangaroo,

Yvette (BrusselsGirl07) has sent my little friend (F) a post card from Australia. Yesterday I gave it to her. She was thrilled! Her 10th birthday was this week and she said it was a perfect birthday present.

Just by coincidence this last week they started a module in school where her English teacher wanted to broaden their horizons and writing skills. Her English teacher taught in Australia for a couple of years and the kids are now going to become pen pals with children in Australia.

The teacher has asked the kids to bring in things that made them think of Australia and things that they would like to share with their pen pals. The post card will be front and centre. We're also going to be on the lookout for a perfect post card to send back to Yvette.

It was a bit of an interesting conversation after giving F the post card. Questions like:

"Why is a complete stranger sending me something?",

"How did you meet Yvette?"

"What do you mean you don't actually know Yvette?",

"How do you meet people on-line?",

"Why would you want to meet people on-line?"

"What type of questions did you ask about Alaska?"

"Are there places I can go to meet people on-line?":eek:

F is looking forward to me taking photos of the small kangaroo that Yvette also sent (still in the mail). It'll go with me on my Alaska trip (under 4 weeks to go, yay!) and F is happy that I'll be thinking of her on the cruise.

In my little friend's words, "Awesome!".

I love this thread what a touching read. So much about the kindness of strangers and even online safty to discuss with a 10 year old. I hope that the teachable moments weren't overlooked.:) your young friend is lucky to have you in her life.