Advice on diet

rdler

There are great opportunities for walking on a ship. I allow myself some food that I don't normally eat at home, but because of all the walking I do, I usually lose weight. Take the stairs instead of the elevators, and find some walking things to do in ports.

I agree with the posters who say to have a talk with him, and to make sure that each day BALANCES. I was going to say that he pick one day to have a Guys Burger and one day to have pizza. For desserts in the main dining room - SHARE - do the 3 bite rule. It's all about moderation and that is what he needs to learn. I think being out of his normal element will help him to see this.

Look at the menus and discuss what the good, better and best choices are. This gives him choices, but eliminates the bad choices.

I also agree that you praise him for his good choices, but don't dwell on the bad choices. It's oh well....keep moving forward.

Best of luck to your son - this is a great time for him to learn good eating habits and he will thank you for it! :)

Many ships have the day's menus on the cabin tv.

Also, think outside the box. If the entrees aren't exciting he can order several appetizers instead.

No need to order from every section of the menu.

DH has lost or maintained his weight on cruises. I always gain 5lbs that come off the first week we're home. Most of it is water as the food onboard is saltier than my own.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I lost 80 lbs 5 years ago. When on vacation, all bets are off. Keeping the weight off has a lot to do with being able to indulge. Weekends, vacations, special occasions. If you can't enjoy yourself once in a whole, or on vacation, you're likely to fail on a diet.

Like I said, just my opinion. Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that you should talk to him about making good choices while on the cruise but also get his commitment to exercise. Although we enjoy eating and drinking and desserts while on the cruise we also make a point of exercising daily. We use the gym and also take advantage of the walking track. On sea days we get a lot of activity with walking on the port and have plenty of water. I agree that the fresh fruit and salad options are easy choices. I would also make a point of eating breakfast and dinner in the dining rooms. The portions are pretty well controlled and you can let someone else do the healthy cooking. The past few years we have left the cruise without busting our diet and workout plans yet still had an enjoyable time. We did not deprive ourselves of some desserts. Just ate and drank in moderation. Good luck to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate to say this, but my adolescent son is fairly porky. His doctor and I finally have him on a diet, and he is doing quite well, but it will be a long process.

Wouldn't you know, just when we're really getting started with the diet, a cruise is coming up.

Does anybody have any tips for keeping weight off on a cruise? And remember this is a 12 year old boy who likes food that we're talking about. And he's not especially athletic, so I don't think he's going to be playing pick up basketball.

The only things I can really think of are having him take a lot of steps instead of the elevator and then walking him (and me) to death both on the boat and ashore. Any food recommendations? It will be hard for him to resist Guy's Burgers, so if he sees that, I fear the diet is history.

And does the Steakhouse have anything that is not a calorie-laced cholesterol buster? Similar question with the MDR?

For the first time, a cruise is coming at just the wrong time. I should add that I'd rather not torture the boy.

Thanks in advance folks. I really do need some words of wisdom.

Let him eat a Guy's I lost 10 pounds because of all the walking on the ship he will too just let him enjoy himself. :)

Yes, you will have a problem because of 24 hour ice cream and you will have no idea what he is chowing down on when you are not with him.

Walking is the best exercise out there. Since you can't supervise all of the food he eats what you can do is pick excursions where there is beach time or snorkeling--burning a lot of calories while frolicking in the sea or snorkeling. You can also, on sea days, ask him to wander around the ship, and if you are going on a ship with a Deck 5 full walk around promenade, that will make it easier. Three or four laps around the ship having some "Mom n me" time will burn off some of the excess calories he'll consume. If there isn't a wrap around promenade, the Conquest class ships have a fairly nice walk on Panorama deck or the jogging track.

You're going to have a challenge on your hand, and I do hope your son will understand he has to control his food intake and must move as much as he can.....walk or swim everyday....

Whatever you do, dont hover over him the whole cruise telling him what to eat or not to eat. Dont watch every mouthful that goes into his mouth. Trust me! I know. I used to be a little porker back in my teens too, and my mother near drove me nuts about food. It was her way of dealing with it, and I dont hold it against her, but please...dont do this to your son while he is on vacation for a week or two. If you do, he will find ways to "feed" himself when you are not looking. So just go lightly with suggestions for lots of activity and moderate excercise, and enjoy the food in sensible portions. And another thing, never ever ever let him hear you refer to him as a porky please.

Make sure he gets enough protein, and if cut back on anything, let it be the carbs and fat. Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise.

Not sure about the Steakhouse, but I believe the MDR has some items on the menu that have a star or an indicator that it is lower in fat, sugar and calories.

btw...once he starts losing weight and feeling good about himself...he will also be more interested in healthy eating. JMO.

Edited by SMSACE6

I will get flamed for this but:

Its not always the Kids fault he is "Porky" (OP,s own words).

Unless its a medical condition then the parents are also responsible for the inactivity and bad diet of their child that caused him to be so overweight.

The change has to be all or none if its not a medical condition,parents need to lead the same healthy eating and exercise lifestyle as there children even if they themselves are not overweight.

Kids who dont eat much fast food and drink much soda learn this healthy habit from their parents.

I know life constraints can lead to poor food choices and inactivity for convenience but the OP will need to diet and exercise along with her son and the rest of the family.

A cruise is not the place to enforce a low food intake high exercise/physical activity timetable unless you are already that way inclined and Buy FTTF just to score the best treadmill on embarkation day:)

It is hard as an adult to keep on track on a cruise...a 12 yr old boy...eek!

I have a few suggestions:

1) eat all your meals in the dining room...they will have set portions for him to order. If he doesn't go to the buffet the temptation isn't there to take too much.

2) set a schedule for meals that matches the meal schedule you follow at home.

3) allow him to choose the food, encourage and praise him when he makes healthy choices, but do it quietly or even after you leave the table so not to embarrass him.

4). If he doesn't choose something that you would want him to choose, still allow him to choose, at least in the dining room he is getting a portion controlled size. You can talk to him later to explain why you might not have chosen that, but I wouldn't make it a you shouldn't have chosen that, but more a curious why he chose that.

5)make sure to plan snacks, but have them by the pool, and you go into the buffet and get healthy snacks...fruit, a proper portion of ice cream or a cookie (not a dozen).

6) if you do need to do the buffet, make his plate for him, let him say what he wants but you control the portion size.

Make sure you go over things with him, so you let him know you are going to let him have choices but you want to help him not hinder him, so these will be ways to do that.

I would also suggest what someone else did...get him a FitBit and challenge/encourage him to do so many steps a day, just don't offer a food-based "reward".... Maybe something iTunes gift card or something like that.

Having just lost a significant amount of weight, I feel for him. It's hard when his friends might eat all they want. I would suggest maybe a "free" day, maybe the last day, that way the temptation isn't there on following days.

It's great that you are working with your son at this early age so that he can learn good eating habits now.

I agree with 1, we actually rarely eat in the buffet, usually just embarkment, and lunch if we don't go into port...otherwise breakfast and lunch and dinner are MDR and it does limit the over piling of the plate at the buffet...because oh look they have that, and that and that. And my favorite room service item is the mixed fruit and veggies w/ dip.

He has had success so far, great! He must be proud :)

My idea? Get his buy-in, and input. This is his life, and also his vacation, so get him in on the game plan:

1) Have him write down what has worked for him so far.

2) Have him write down his plan for continuted weight loss up to the day of the cruise.

3) Have him write down a plan he comes up with for his continuing success on the cruise, and allow for fun and some splurging on his vacation.

4) Have him pick a "theme song" for his game plan and put it on his ipod/cellphone, ect.

5) Make it fun!

Voila! Now it's HIS decision, and plan to follow. You haven't stated when this cruise is happening, but if it is far enough away, maybe this will cause him to view it as a goal, and work even harder to lose some weight before hand, and the cruise and vacation will be his reward.

PS I've lost some weight by eliminating bread and gluten and staying low carb. I hear Guy's burgers can be served w/out a bun :D

I think a cruise, or any vacation, is no different than real life, which is what you're really preparing him for by teaching him healthy eating habits. I would approach the cruise the same way that I'm trying to teach my four kiddos about taking care of their bodies and the way you seem to be trying to teach your son. It's not a "diet" or a "fad" or a way to get "skinny". It's about being healthy, whole humans who understand that you can't suck down crap and expect healthy lives or bodies. (our country is particularly poor at teaching this...I know.)

I'm of the opinion that a burger or two on a cruise is fine. The world won't end if you have an ice cream. I would SKIP the diet junk because the chemicals in them have been absolutely proven to be awful for you and, ultimately, make you hungrier through-out the day, causing you to eat way more calories than if you'd just had a small portion of the real deal. (Aspartame is AWFUL...diet drinks are basically death in a can)

Make every day about balance. Then, if he wants a burger for lunch one day, enjoy one with him! I never tell my kids it's a "treat", either. They aren't dogs and I don't want them to have the mentality that food is some kind of reward. It's not. It's fuel for the body that allows us to live full lives.

Cruises are great places for extra exercise that you don't have to hunt down. Make snorkeling an excursion one day! That is fun AND a great work out. Take the stairs, walk around deck every single day. Say no to the electronics on the ship so he doesn't want to sit in his room playing a game while sitting still for hours.

Good luck!!! He can do this! :)

Best response. You just won this thread.

Elation, April 2012

Fascination, September 2012

Fascination, September 2013

Dream, October 2014

I just started a diet a month and s half before my cruise last week. Mh trickd... take stairs workout at least once. Use buffet and fill up with salad. The buffet for dinner was pretty good as well. I did avoid the deserts for the most part. But I drank way too much boos and sodas. so I gained two pounds of fat. My trainer is now helping ne get back on track. Let him have fun. Then wgen he gets hone if he doesn't already have a trainer get one for a few times. Good Luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

For someone who does little walking or regular exercise in daily life, they will almost certainly be more active on ship than they will be at home. I think I can honestly say I have never gained weight on vacation. And even if he just pigs out and gains 5 pounds on vacation, what's more important is that he gets back on track at home. And honestly, setting that could be valuable for him long term. And I'm not talking out of my butt - I've lost around 100 lbs over the past 2 years and still don't deprive myself on vacation or special occasions. Trust me - the calorie imbalance can be way worse at home when the chief activity is walking from the desk to the kitchen and back. A handful of dry cereal or chips every 20 minutes does way more damage than a single binge on a burger. Talk to him about less bad choices rather than staying on plan the whole time. If he wants a great burger, he may be willing to have a veggie instead of fries. Our he may realize he feels awful after that kind of indulgence. This is a long term process for your son that is happening at the same time as the very normal desire to become more independent. He needs to make some choices and see the results, good or bad. His eating habits can't be about keeping you placated. My mantra has been that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Nothing I do in a single day or week is going to change my forever. If having ice cream three times a day and gaining 5 pounds is the cost of a life lesson and keeping a positive relationship between you, its a bargain in the grand scheme of life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think you make a ton of sense. I personally wouldn't make a big deal out of food restriction on vacation. Talking to him before and explaining that it will be tough for him to make good choices is a good thing. I agree, don't force him or condemn him from going off-track. I'd personally let him have a burger if he wants and even if he does gain a few pounds...he'll get back to "normal" eating when he returns home. You don't want him to be embarrassed if he makes new friends and they go for pizza or ice cream and he feels like he can't join them. I'd just go on the cruise and hope he makes good choices but if he doesn't...it just isn't a big deal. There are plenty of good, healthy choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I believe when we last cruised Carnival every night they had a "Spa Menu" with healthy, low calorie choices. I don't know if they still have that though.

My opinion, let the kid have fun! It's only a few days out of his life...enjoy.:D

Thank to so many of you who have offered many good ideas. I am very well aware that my son needs to buy into this diet and healthy food choices. He is doing so thus far, with some lapses, which are treated like that-- just lapses. And I don't criticize-- or try as hard as I can not to. And I've received a lot of help from his doctor and his shrinks who are well aware that my son had a tough life early on (he is adopted) where the struggle to eat and otherwise survive virtually every day was a struggle.

And those of you who suggest that I am probably part of the problem, you are entirely correct. I am quite a bit underweight for a man of my height and age and I've had a struggle eating since an operation that went wrong a decade or so ago. So there have been snacks around-- not bad stuff per se, but things like yogurt and those energy bars and stuff like that which can really pack on the calories. So I am having to adjust things so those products are simply not around and I'm trying to shift the bulk of my eating to the daytime when my son is generally in school.

But my son is doing well and has a fairly good attitude thusfar. I know it's very hard for him or anyone for that matter. I'm firmly convinced that my little man is the greatest kid ever and that he will be successful.

I will get flamed for this but:

Its not always the Kids fault he is "Porky" (OP,s own words).

Unless its a medical condition then the parents are also responsible for the inactivity and bad diet of their child that caused him to be so overweight.

The change has to be all or none if its not a medical condition,parents need to lead the same healthy eating and exercise lifestyle as there children even if they themselves are not overweight.

Kids who dont eat much fast food and drink much soda learn this healthy habit from their parents.

I know life constraints can lead to poor food choices and inactivity for convenience but the OP will need to diet and exercise along with her son and the rest of the family.

A cruise is not the place to enforce a low food intake high exercise/physical activity timetable unless you are already that way inclined and Buy FTTF just to score the best treadmill on embarkation day:)

Good point and he doesn't buy the food so someone is enabling him. I wouldn't put him on a diet, but rather make lifestyle changes. Those seem to last longer. My kids don't drink soda or eat much junk food because neither do I. We don't keep any juice in my home or soda. We have healthy snacks and we've been giving them to them since they've been born.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

By the nature of a holiday he'll probably do more excercise than normal anyway. On cruises we walk far more than a regular holiday due to only getting one day to see each port. I'm perpetually on a diet but find that I worry less on cruises than on land, despite 24/7 offerings. If we stick to dining rooms rather than buffets the portions are quite small, so even though we're not eating overly healthily we're not having too much. And it's a holiday too. Having a few treats makes you happier to get back on track when you get home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

By the nature of a holiday he'll probably do more excercise than normal anyway. On cruises we walk far more than a regular holiday due to only getting one day to see each port. I'm perpetually on a diet but find that I worry less on cruises than on land, despite 24/7 offerings. If we stick to dining rooms rather than buffets the portions are quite small, so even though we're not eating overly healthily we're not having too much. And it's a holiday too. Having a few treats makes you happier to get back on track when you get home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Seems like the kid needs lifestyle changes and not just a diet. Diets are temporary, lifestyle changes last a lifetime. Odds are he's not the only unhealthy person in his family.

My last cruise, I would say the majority of the people were overweight. Most had those freestyle cups which I'm sure were filled with soda. Most had enormous plates packed with food. Nearly no one touched the salad bar. We gotta change our eating habits for our own life and for our children if you have any.

A sweet mother shared a sensitive issue for tips...we are going too far from the issue, we are not the docs or shrinks...share support and tips..IMHO leave the rest out please. Everything else adds to the problem or does not help...and most certainly can be wrong. It is tougher than anything for a parent and kid to sort it out...each can have very different struggles with eating and weight..its a big job to get down and it often always changes..our metabolisms and hormones. My sis almost got to the other extreme side from always a little pudgy..to a control addiction to almost too thin and too much exercise now..almost..but she eats and cooks for her boys and kept that healthy through tons of misses/hard family man luck..2 hubbys one dead to alcohol and one divorce......her 19 year old son is going to make it..but not as much with with her hands on help now...as much as her letting go at this point, letting him come to her...this mother's child is younger and she has time, but has to let him do some trial and error on the new plan..we don't have to know the details or pontificate to secretly make ourselves feel better if it is an area we have success in...it is their vacation.

Edited by sjn911

Stay away from the freestyle coke machine. That thing is full of empty calories. Don't know if the ship you're going on has one or not.

Which Carnival ship has these?

It is hard as an adult to keep on track on a cruise...a 12 yr old boy...eek!

I have a few suggestions:

1) eat all your meals in the dining room...they will have set portions for him to order. If he doesn't go to the buffet the temptation isn't there to take too much.

2) set a schedule for meals that matches the meal schedule you follow at home.

3) allow him to choose the food, encourage and praise him when he makes healthy choices, but do it quietly or even after you leave the table so not to embarrass him.

4). If he doesn't choose something that you would want him to choose, still allow him to choose, at least in the dining room he is getting a portion controlled size. You can talk to him later to explain why you might not have chosen that, but I wouldn't make it a you shouldn't have chosen that, but more a curious why he chose that.

5)make sure to plan snacks, but have them by the pool, and you go into the buffet and get healthy snacks...fruit, a proper portion of ice cream or a cookie (not a dozen).

6) if you do need to do the buffet, make his plate for him, let him say what he wants but you control the portion size.

Make sure you go over things with him, so you let him know you are going to let him have choices but you want to help him not hinder him, so these will be ways to do that.

I would also suggest what someone else did...get him a FitBit and challenge/encourage him to do so many steps a day, just don't offer a food-based "reward".... Maybe something iTunes gift card or something like that.

Having just lost a significant amount of weight, I feel for him. It's hard when his friends might eat all they want. I would suggest maybe a "free" day, maybe the last day, that way the temptation isn't there on following days.

It's great that you are working with your son at this early age so that he can learn good eating habits now.

This is excellent advice. I was similarly going to post about avoiding the buffet and the unlimited tempations in favor of the dining room - and if you don't tell him he can order unlimited entrees, he won't have that temptation!

Make a "no elevator" rule.

And yes, a ped with a reward for 10,000 steps each day is a great idea!

I hate to say this, but my adolescent son is fairly porky. His doctor and I finally have him on a diet, and he is doing quite well, but it will be a long process.

Wouldn't you know, just when we're really getting started with the diet, a cruise is coming up.

Does anybody have any tips for keeping weight off on a cruise? And remember this is a 12 year old boy who likes food that we're talking about. And he's not especially athletic, so I don't think he's going to be playing pick up basketball.

The only things I can really think of are having him take a lot of steps instead of the elevator and then walking him (and me) to death both on the boat and ashore. Any food recommendations? It will be hard for him to resist Guy's Burgers, so if he sees that, I fear the diet is history.

And does the Steakhouse have anything that is not a calorie-laced cholesterol buster? Similar question with the MDR?

For the first time, a cruise is coming at just the wrong time. I should add that I'd rather not torture the boy.

Thanks in advance folks. I really do need some words of wisdom.

It is great that your son is trying to control his weight. Losing weight is a simple formula , if he burns more calories than he takes in=weight off, same calories in as out=maintain weight, more calories in than out=gain weight. When I cruise I stay away from sweets(most of the time), fried foods, any type of bread. Than I hit the gym almost every day and do cardiovascular exercises at least 40-50 minutes this is a must for weight control. Remember this is a life style change not a diet. Have fun on your cruise!!!!!

Gary