No trays in Lido

DeckLife

I was at Whole Foods and saw they had the perfect size tray at their salad buffet. I asked the Manager if I could buy one and he said No but he'd be happy to give me one. :) It's light, packs easily, and is perfect for use at HAL buffet.

Thanks! :)

The plates generally available in Lido were salad size. Oval platters were available at the fresh-cooked eggs line and perhaps at lunch in the bistro line. The oval platters were not available to just grab one and go, because I would be happy with that.

I am not talking about getting several courses. I am talking about my desire to have my breakfast on one plate and perhaps a small side plate -- a balanced meal that will get me through till after the day's excursion. Or at lunch to have one plate that will hold a salad and maybe a cup of soup. I don't need a salad bowl; a plate would be preferred. When there are lines at every station, even if they are short, having to take one's plate back to the table and then go through other lines for the rest of the components of that same course, means great inefficiency for me and the ship. The time spent in Lido by each person grows and that's why tables are hard to come by.

Tables holding small plates of food (waiting for the passenger to return with the rest of the meal) look vacant from a distance but oh, no, once you get there, you find it already taken.

I should point out that I often carried two small plates/bowls at once. It is a hardship, unless the table is close by. I have limited carrying capability, and no, I don't want to have to get help and have people wondering what's wrong with me when I look perfectly fine.

Getting beverages was a problem too. Get water and coffee first, claim a table, then fetch food. Return to find coffee too cold, or to find someone else at your table. Get water and coffee second, return to table with your previously collected food to find that cold.

We had a very port-intensive cruise, and had to be in the Vista Lounge by 7:50 or earlier for excursions. Room service was the only answer. The load on room service was so high that at one point the ship decided to open Lido at 6 rather than 6:30 to encourage people back to Lido. Also, the room service menu was reduced, presumably to help the load. Room service breakfast was delicious and delivered in the time specified, so I don't have any complaints there. I would have been happier with Lido, with more choices available.

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread - are there no options for breakfast beside the Lido or Room Service. On all our other cruises on other lines, the MDR was also open for breakfast, regardless of sea day or port day. Is this not the case with HAL?

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread - are there no options for breakfast beside the Lido or Room Service. On all our other cruises on other lines, the MDR was also open for breakfast, regardless of sea day or port day. Is this not the case with HAL?

Yes, the dining room is also open for breakfast. Limited hours - 8:00-9:30 on sea days, 7:00-9:00 on port days. At least on one of our cruises (that's all I had time to check).

Yes, the dining room is also open for breakfast. Limited hours - 8:00-9:30 on sea days, 7:00-9:00 on port days. At least on one of our cruises (that's all I had time to check).

I've only ever seen the MDR open for 1 1/2 hours. Would you mind sharing which ship you were on when it was open for 2 hours?

On my recent Westerdam cruise the hours didn't change. The MDR was open 7:30 to 9 am both port and sea days.

I've only ever seen the MDR open for 1 1/2 hours. Would you mind sharing which ship you were on when it was open for 2 hours?

On my recent Westerdam cruise the hours didn't change. The MDR was open 7:30 to 9 am both port and sea days.

On our Zaandam Alaska cruise in June 2012. Haines port day. Rotterdam dining room open for breakfast 7:00-9:00. At least that's what was printed on our daily activities paper. I cannot confirm or deny the hours, however, as we didn't eat there.

... on other lines, the MDR was also open for breakfast, regardless of sea day or port day. Is this not the case with HAL?
Besides the MDR that others mentioned, if you are in a Neptune Suite you can eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

On our Zaandam Alaska cruise in June 2012. Haines port day. Rotterdam dining room open for breakfast 7:00-9:00. At least that's what was printed on our daily activities paper. I cannot confirm or deny the hours, however, as we didn't eat there.

Thx for the reply. I find Hal seems to be cutting down on their hours lately. They used to be open 1.5 hours at lunch. Now it seems like an hour with the embarkation lunch being the exception.

MDR on our Noordam cruise was open at lunch for exactly one hour. I don't recall the hours for breakfast but MDR never worked for early port excursions.

No, it certainly doesn't. Those are the mornings I like to do room service.