This is for woman who have a Kindle & a Husband

I originally bought a kindle hdx 8.9 to keep us occupied at the airport. (Playing games, reading...)

Now the problem...I have a $40 gift from an online store, (that I have to use in 10 days or lose it) I was thinking of buying the paperwhite to use outdoors for reading. I'm juggling the thought of buying DH his own kindle. I really didn't want to invest a whole lot of money into this (we have a few cruises coming up and really can't afford the extra expense) If I go with the kindle for him, it's going to have to be the hd 7". But if I get that I can't use either outside. And I'm not sure if he'll be disappointed in the 7" hd.

We both really love the hdx. One of us is always using it at all times. (well just about) I'm so confused as to what to do. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by travlnblueberries
Should have read: Women who have a Kindle & a Husband

I had a second gen Kindle and then bought the Fire when it came out and gave DH my second gen.

he only uses it for reading, while I play games and check Facebook ( and CC) more on my Fire. I am seriously considering buying paperwhite just to have as well, I really don't like my Fire for reading actually.

in fact this last cruise I was hard pressed to be able to read anywhere with it.

Do you read a lot?

Does your husband read a lot?

If the answer is yes to one or both of those, buy the PaperWhite as a reading device and share the HDX as you do now.

Then, at a later date, if you decide you need an extra Kindle you will know which one you need.

I bought the PaperWhite and am very pleased with it. I have an iPad with a Kindle app but it is harder on the eyes than the PaperWhite. There is the disadvantage of no games, but the PaperWhite works like a dream in bright light or glare situations when I just want to read a book. It's also more soothing on the eyes for night reading.

BTW, have you discovered BookBub.com for free and low cost books? I have about 700 free books on my Kindle from using BookBub. It's a really great resource for finding free books for both the Nook and Kindle. No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

I have a kindle keyboard, fire hd and a paperwhite. As an avid reader I LOVE. LOVE, LOVE my paperwhite.

When DH decided I needed a fire I had several concerns about it because when cruising or camping I read A LOT. My concerns about battery life and glare became a reality.

So now DH usually uses the fire and I use the paperwhite and use the fire as a simple tablet.

For reading only, the paperwhite can't be beat. Light weight, readability, lighting for reading, size, battery life. The Barnes & Noble device is very similar. The other devices are fine for games, internet, all the other things but aren't as portable, versatile, and have shorter battery time.

Edited by jamessemaj

I bought the PaperWhite and am very pleased with it. I have an iPad with a Kindle app but it is harder on the eyes than the PaperWhite. There is the disadvantage of no games, but the PaperWhite works like a dream in bright light or glare situations when I just want to read a book. It's also more soothing on the eyes for night reading.

BTW, have you discovered BookBub.com for free and low cost books? I have about 700 free books on my Kindle from using BookBub. It's a really great resource for finding free books for both the Nook and Kindle. No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

Thank you for the BookBub info--I have never heard of it, am an avid reader, and just checked it out. Have already downloaded three books, all very highly rated on Amazon, for less than $3!

Thanks Cindy for the info on BookBub.

I signed into BookBub and found that it just recommends books and then directs you to the site to buy/download it. Amazon does the same thing for me on recommendations, daily specials, or just browsing, etc. Can somebody tell me the advantage of BookBub over just going directly to Amazon? I am afraid that now I have more email coming my way that I really don't need, and they don't offer an unsubscribe option.

Edit: I received their first email, and there is an unsubscribe link in it.

Edited by jamessemaj

I signed into BookBub and found that it just recommends books and then directs you to the site to buy/download it. Amazon does the same thing for me on recommendations, daily specials, or just browsing, etc. Can somebody tell me the advantage of BookBub over just going directly to Amazon? I am afraid that now I have more email coming my way that I really don't need, and they don't offer an unsubscribe option.

Edit: I received their first email, and there is an unsubscribe link in it.

You can go to BookBub and similar sites without getting their email. I have gotten about 100 free books from BookBub. I have read 8 or 10 so far. two or three weren't for me so after reading part of them I gave up and deleted them. The others were good but not great to me.

Most of my books are downloaded from our local library. It is great unless you must have the latest. Of course, you would also wait for the print edition from the library

You can go to BookBub and similar sites without getting their email. I have gotten about 100 free books from BookBub. I have read 8 or 10 so far. two or three weren't for me so after reading part of them I gave up and deleted them. The others were good but not great to me.

Most of my books are downloaded from our local library. It is great unless you must have the latest. Of course, you would also wait for the print edition from the library

Paul, unless I missed something, BookBub won't allow entry unless you provide email address. I am really only interested in Amazon because of my Paperwhite, and there may be benefit for other sources, but Amazon has many ways to access bargains, including free books, which they list for you. I have never accessed a public library download and don't even know how to do it. I was interested only in downloads for the Paperwhite, and the Amazon site seems best for that, although I am sure Amazon is happy to have another source to direct traffic to them, and I would guess that the site receives some payment for referrals.

Edited by jamessemaj

The books on BookBub come from different sources, Amazon, B&N, Google, and Apple. There may be other sources not listed. Granted, you can get most of the books on Amazon but I find it easier to let BookBub direct me to a little free stuff at a time. I still download from the public library on a regular basis. I can put the more popular books on hold and download them when they come in. Do whatever makes you happy. I was offering info which others might not be aware.

But to get back to the PaperWhite discussion, I found myself dropping the reader until it got a cover. The reader tends to slip out of my hands. I found a smart cover on Amazon that puts the PaperWhite to sleep when the cover is snapped shut. It might be worth thinking about.

Thanks for the info on the paperwhite - I have not used my hdx outside and didn't think about potential glare problems.

As for downloading free books - I have an amazon prime membership [don't know if it makes a difference] and if I search on amazon for free kindle I get hundreds of choices and then narrow down to my genre

DH and I both take our Kindle readers on cruises so we can read outside. I take my Kindle Fire also but just use in the cabinnfor WiFi, games etc. - can't read it in the sun.

We download our books to read before the cruise.

I don 't use the ship's library but usually bring a hardcover book to donate to it.

Hope this helps.:)

DH and I both take our Kindle readers on cruises so we can read outside. I take my Kindle Fire also but just use in the cabinnfor WiFi, games etc. - can't read it in the sun.

We download our books to read before the cruise.

I don 't use the ship's library but usually bring a hardcover book to donate to it.

Hope this helps.:)

I have a Kindle 2nd generation and it seems to work just fine for me at reading outside, etc. What is the advantage of the Paperwhite over my old Kindle? I'm thinking it has a built in light, maybe, for reading in the dark? That's the one thing I miss on my Kindle. Any other advantages over the original?

I mostly use it for reading while traveling, and a little bit at home.

I might go to a Kindle Fire HD mostly for my husband, who is not a reader but would use the other functions, I think.

I'd feel pretty silly having 3 different Kindles, though! (I think both of my sisters do, though.)

I have a Kindle 2nd generation and it seems to work just fine for me at reading outside, etc. What is the advantage of the Paperwhite over my old Kindle? I'm thinking it has a built in light, maybe, for reading in the dark? That's the one thing I miss on my Kindle. Any other advantages over the original?

I might go to a Kindle Fire HD mostly for my husband, who is not a reader but would use the other functions, I think.

I'd feel pretty silly having 3 different Kindles, though! (I think both of my sisters do, though.)

I have 3...a keyboard model, fire hd and paperwhite. It's not really a built in light, it's backlight and you can switch from black on white, white on black or sepia...whichever is easier to read. And you can adjust the brightness.

Has an easy to use touch for dictionary. Something I love is the x-ray. Touch a name and a list comes up of every place that name is used in the chapter, or book. Good for when a character comes up that you've forgotten about. You can categorize any way you chose and place books in multiple lists.

The main difference with the PaperWhite is that it has a touch screen. No buttons. Plus, of course, the built in light. The PaperWhites have no audio capability either, so no text-to-speech function.

The Kindle Fires have backlit screens, just like any other tablet, and aren't good for reading outdoors. The rest of the Kindles are e-ink which is perfect for reading in sunlight as you have already discovered.

There is a rumour of a new PaperWhite that may be released sometime this year which will have some buttons, presumably page turn buttons.

If you read a lot it never hurts to have a spare Kindle. We always take a spare with us when travelling. Hubby reckons I'd go insane withour something to read ;) - actually I wouldn't, I'd just take over his Kindle LOL.

I have a Kindle Fire and a Paperwhite. I love the Fire, but the battery life is way too short. The Paperwhite can go for ever. If I'm going to be near a plug and want to play a game (love scrabble) I prefer the Fire, but for reading the Paperwhite wins every time! DH also has a Paperwhite.

Husband and I both have Kindles. He loves his but I rarely use mine. I like the old fashioned books.

You can't change the font size on old fashioned books :(

I love having all my paper books around me, we have bookshelves all over our house, but I much prefer to read on my Kindle. And, as I'm a speed reader, the Kindle is marvellous for travel. No more having to lug kilos of books in my suitcase.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The main difference with the PaperWhite is that it has a touch screen. No buttons. Plus, of course, the built in light. The PaperWhites have no audio capability either, so no text-to-speech function.

The Kindle Fires have backlit screens, just like any other tablet, and aren't good for reading outdoors. The rest of the Kindles are e-ink which is perfect for reading in sunlight as you have already discovered.

There is a rumour of a new PaperWhite that may be released sometime this year which will have some buttons, presumably page turn buttons.

If you read a lot it never hurts to have a spare Kindle. We always take a spare with us when travelling. Hubby reckons I'd go insane withour something to read ;) - actually I wouldn't, I'd just take over his Kindle LOL.

I'm in the 'I'd go insane without something to read' camp too. I love my Kindle for traveling, so I don't have to haul multiple books around, but I still always bring one "what if' book--what if I lose the Kindle, it quits working, gets stolen, whatever--I have to have a backup book! I still prefer 'real' books, at home.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the Paperwhite. So it is backlit and is touch, not buttons, and is lighter. For some reason I always have trouble with touch screens--am I the only one that has to touch more than once, even multiple times, on touch screens?

Is the reading area bigger, then, since there are no buttons? (I know I could look all this up, or look at one in a store, but picking brains here is easier!) Bottom line, I am sure I will eventually get a Paperwhite and probably some other kind of tablet too, but so far it seems silly when my old one is working fine.