First Princess Cruise....a few questions

Scribbles77

Hi,

I will be sailing my first Princess cruise on the Emerald Princess in 3 weeks.

I am sailing with my mother at short notice as her sailing partner (her brother) is unable to sail due to ill health.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me...

1) I see the ship has wi-if, is it worth getting, speed, bandwidth etc? Also do they have an all you can eat package or just packages with a set time limit ?

2) How formal are formal nights? On previous cruises I have worn a beaded maxi dress (it's smarter than it sounds lol)

3) Can I take water on board if I take a crate of it completely sealed?

Other than that I'm good and excited about a new cruising experience, if there is anything on/about the ship that you think I shouldn't miss please let me know.

Thank you

Emma x

1) I see the ship has wi-if, is it worth getting, speed, bandwidth etc? Also do they have an all you can eat package or just packages with a set time limit ?

2) How formal are formal nights? On previous cruises I have worn a beaded maxi dress (it's smarter than it sounds lol)

1. All Princess ships have had ship-wide WiFi for years. Whether it's worth it to you depends on your preferences. Bandwidth is adequate and speed depends on what others, and how many, are doing. If someone is Skyping for instance, then that hogs the bandwidth and few can get online. If it's during the day, a lot of people are using the WiFi so it can be very slow. I've found that early in the morning, before 8am, is a good time, as well as during dinner, between 6-8pm. Late at night, the crew uses the Internet to contact home so it's often slow then. You get more time when pre-purchasing a package than you do buying it onboard: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

2. A beaded maxi-dress would be fine.

3. You can bring as much water as you want. Just put a luggage tag on the case and it'll be delivered to your cabin.

1) Also do they have an all you can eat package or just packages with a set time limit ?

The cruise fare includes all you wish to eat in the dining rooms, the buffet, the International Cafe (except for gelato), the Pizza stand, the hamburger grill and almost all room service. Only food charges would be for the specialty restaurants, the Chef's Table, room service Pizza delivery, room service party platters, gelato at the International Cafe.

There will be charges for alcoholic beverages, juices other than at breatkfast time, specialty coffees/teas, and soda.

2) How formal are formal nights? On previous cruises I have worn a beaded maxi dress (it's smarter than it sounds lol) Can also wear a nice pants suit or a nice skirt with a very nice or fancy blouse.

Other than that I'm good and excited about a new cruising experience, if there is anything on/about the ship that you think I shouldn't miss please let me know.

Thank you

Emma x

You may want to go to the Princess web site at https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page and download the Cruise Answer Book. It will answer many questions you might have about cruising on Princess.

I think the questions have been answered, but I wanted to add one additional comment. The water on the ships is very good. I don't drink tap water at home because it has a "taste", but I have no problem with the water on the ships. They use a very good process for water treatment and you may find you don't need to bring bottles of water on with you.

I would echo Caribill's advice to go to the Princess website and read the FAQs at the Cruise Answer Place. Lots of info about Princess policies. Then go to the main page and click on "learn about cruising," then on "ships" and find the Emerald Princess. Click on that, and read about your ship (the different features, where things are, the names of the dining venues, etc.).

Besides bottled water, you can bring on soft drinks (the type I like isn't offered on board) and a limited amount of wine (without paying corkage).

I think the questions have been answered, but I wanted to add one additional comment. The water on the ships is very good. I don't drink tap water at home because it has a "taste", but I have no problem with the water on the ships. They use a very good process for water treatment and you may find you don't need to bring bottles of water on with you.

Even if you don't like the taste you can buy Britta bottles with a filter built in. Once filter will last for months. It is under $10.

Hi,

I am sailing with my mother at short notice as her sailing partner (her brother) is unable to sail due to ill health.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me...

Thank you

Emma x

What a fantatic cruise to the Canary Islands!

I see its sold out as well....

Do check out the roll call for your cruise....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821138

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I don't think the OP meant to say all you can "eat" packages. I think she was asking about unlimited internet packages. Auto complete strikes again??

Also feel sure she was asking about internet minute packages.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. (Elite but I don't use the internet on ships.) Hopefully, someone else will know.

LuLu

Enjoy your cruise to the Canary Islands with your Mom.

The Emerald is a pretty ship.

You might want to take your own shampoo and conditioner with you.

The product in the shower dispenser has been known to cause a problem of tangled-difficult to comb out-hair.((There have been posts on this forum about hair care products and soap provided by Princess this forum.)

Happy cruising!

Maybe you will post a review here recalling your cruise experience.

1. All Princess ships have had ship-wide WiFi for years. Whether it's worth it to you depends on your preferences. Bandwidth is adequate and speed depends on what others, and how many, are doing. If someone is Skyping for instance, then that hogs the bandwidth and few can get online. If it's during the day, a lot of people are using the WiFi so it can be very slow. I've found that early in the morning, before 8am, is a good time, as well as during dinner, between 6-8pm. Late at night, the crew uses the Internet to contact home so it's often slow then. You get more time when pre-purchasing a package than you do buying it onboard: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp...snip...

Hello Pam... Thanks for the link to the Princess internet pre-purchase plans.

Off topic: I noticed you are also booked on the 10/18 Crown (just our 2nd Princess cruise). Please enlighten me.... What does BVE stand for?:confused:

Hello Pam... Thanks for the link to the Princess internet pre-purchase plans.

Off topic: I noticed you are also booked on the 10/18 Crown (just our 2nd Princess cruise). Please enlighten me.... What does BVE stand for?:confused:

BVE = Bon Voyage Experience. It's $39 and you get to board the ship first, enjoy several hours on the ship, have a nice lunch in the dining room including wine, a professional photo, and disembark just before Muster. The $39 can be applied to any cruise booked after booking the BVE up until three months after the BVE. What this means is that I'll be onboard the Crown embarkation day until Muster. :)

Hi,

...snip...Emma x

Emma... Also hope you enjoy your first Princess Cruise at least as much as we enjoyed ours last year!

BVE = Bon Voyage Experience. It's $39 and you get to board the ship first, enjoy several hours on the ship, have a nice lunch in the dining room including wine, a professional photo, and disembark just before Muster. The $39 can be applied to any cruise booked after booking the BVE up until three months after the BVE. What this means is that I'll be onboard the Crown embarkation day until Muster. :)

Pam... Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware that a BVE was even available.:)

I don't think the OP meant to say all you can "eat" packages. I think she was asking about unlimited internet packages. Auto complete strikes again??

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you all for your replies, I am very excited now :D

In case it comes up again, in the UK "all you can eat" when talking about the internet means is there a one off Internet fee then you can use as much internet as you like hence "all you can eat data" :)

Once again thanks all x

Thank you all for your replies, I am very excited now :D

In case it comes up again, in the UK "all you can eat" when talking about the internet means is there a one off Internet fee then you can use as much internet as you like hence "all you can eat data" :)

Once again thanks all x

Ah, I get it. Two countries separated by a common language ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Emma,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your first Princess cruise. The Emerald is a beautiful ship and there are lots of things to do on board. Check details of the day's activities in the Princess Patter newsletter, delivered to your room every evening. In particular, make sure you try afternoon tea. Delicious!

We have sailed three times on the Emerald and will be on board again in a month's time for the Mediterranean and Adriatic cruise. Can't wait!

Margaret