Scandinavia and Russia

classicmovies

We are looking at two cruises on the Regal Princess next year. They both start in Oslo, go to Berlin, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, & Stockholm.

However, one tour stops in Aarhus, Denmark while the other stops in Gothenburg, Sweden. Does anyone know anything about the last two ports and which one would have more to see? Can you tell me anything about the other ports?

Thanks,

Lynne

We are looking at two cruises on the Regal Princess next year. They both start in Oslo, go to Berlin, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, & Stockholm.

However, one tour stops in Aarhus, Denmark while the other stops in Gothenburg, Sweden. Does anyone know anything about the last two ports and which one would have more to see? Can you tell me anything about the other ports?

Thanks,

Lynne

We enjoyed walking around Gothenburg but have not been to Aarhus so cannot compare them. It was about a 10-15 minute bus ride to town & spent the day walking around the nice town. I don't recall what other options there were to sightsee in Gothenburg so can't help you there. It was a tranquil day walking around nice parks, museums & shops. A steep stairway to an old fort perched on top of a hill had great views of the city and the surrounding area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

In 2011 we took the Princess cruise roundtrip from Copenhagen that hit all the ports you mentioned but also Aarhus. It did not stop at Gothenburg so I can't comment on that stop. Aarhus was a charming town. Our group of 8 people did that port on our own. We walked into the town which was not far at all from the port (if I recall, less than a 5 minute walk). The old town had a few beautiful churches that we went into (one was the Church of our Lady). We walked around the town and also went to the art museum. The building itself was really the attraction. At the top of the museum is a walkway with colored glass so it looks like a rainbow. From the top of the museum we saw all over Aarhus (old buildings and new) and to our ship. The museum is worth a trip. Inside was modern art and we only toured it to see the highlights but the trip to the top was wonderful.

As for all the other ports on the trip there is so much to say. We thought the Princess excursions in Oslo and Stockholm were wonderful. We did not go into Berlin but chose an excursion to the local town of Rostock and a brewery tour which was a nice touch of Germany. In STB we arranged a two day private tour which I'd recommend as we saw so much and more than the big groups. In Tallin we walked around on our own, it is very manageable to do you do not need a tour there. It was also walkable from the ship. I think in Helskini we may have taken a cruise shuttle and walked around on our own. It was really a fantastic trip. I'd be glad to answer more specific questions you may have.

We are scheduled to visit Gothenburg this summer. Our time in port is only from 7am until 2pm. The Volvo museum is right adjancent the pier, we plan to walk over there and look around. The town, we understand is a 20 min ride away. If we had more time in port we might have considered other options.

In 2011 we took the Princess cruise roundtrip from Copenhagen that hit all the ports you mentioned but also Aarhus. It did not stop at Gothenburg so I can't comment on that stop. Aarhus was a charming town. Our group of 8 people did that port on our own. We walked into the town which was not far at all from the port (if I recall, less than a 5 minute walk). The old town had a few beautiful churches that we went into (one was the Church of our Lady). We walked around the town and also went to the art museum. The building itself was really the attraction. At the top of the museum is a walkway with colored glass so it looks like a rainbow. From the top of the museum we saw all over Aarhus (old buildings and new) and to our ship. The museum is worth a trip. Inside was modern art and we only toured it to see the highlights but the trip to the top was wonderful.

As for all the other ports on the trip there is so much to say. We thought the Princess excursions in Oslo and Stockholm were wonderful. We did not go into Berlin but chose an excursion to the local town of Rostock and a brewery tour which was a nice touch of Germany. In STB we arranged a two day private tour which I'd recommend as we saw so much and more than the big groups. In Tallin we walked around on our own, it is very manageable to do you do not need a tour there. It was also walkable from the ship. I think in Helskini we may have taken a cruise shuttle and walked around on our own. It was really a fantastic trip. I'd be glad to answer more specific questions you may have.

Ditto!! We took this trip on The Emerald Princess last summer rt Copenhagen. You can do it all on your own except St. Petersburg. Aarhaus was a delightful town even in the rain in July!! Quaint houses, a Viking Museum just to mention a few. Enjoy.

We did the Emerald Baltic/Russia itinerary in 2012 and it included Aarhus. The day of that stop there was a large festival in town and it was terrific. Lots of extra events, food, and music set up around town, all in walking distance. You may check out their festival website to see if it will be going at the time you are sailing http://aarhusfestuge.dk/en

We did the Emerald Baltic/Russia itinerary in 2012 and it included Aarhus. The day of that stop there was a large festival in town and it was terrific. Lots of extra events, food, and music set up around town, all in walking distance. You may check out their festival website to see if it will be going at the time you are sailing http://aarhusfestuge.dk/en

With all of the glowing reviews I wish we had gone to Aarhus instead of Gothenburg. ;)

Our travel agent that we used to book the cruise was the one who suggested and booked the local guide for St. Petersburg. So we did not research companies we just went with our travel agent's pick and we were very pleased. Our guide was a lady in her 60's. Her english was wonderful, and she was very pleasant and informative. We told our travel agent what main sights we wanted to see and she worked with the local company to set up the agenda, etc. The tour company from SPB worked to set up our documentation, etc. I still had my travel folder and I found that the name of the tour company in St. Petersburg was Esperance Travel. The email on the agenda is listed as esperance@esperancetravel.com. Our group of 8 was with the private guide from 9 am until about 5 pm each of the two days. All admissions were included (but we bought our own lunches). It was around 350 Euro per person for the two days (price was based per person on group of 8 people). Day One: We went to Peterhof Palace (had guided tour of inside and outside gardens), took a lunch break (guide made reservation and helped with ordering, but we paid for our own lunch). Then in the afternoon we had a guided tour of Catherine's Palace. Day Two: city tour via our minivan, tour at the Hermitage Museum, then short lunch break (again we paid for lunch), then afternoon tours of Church on the Spilled Blood and St. Isaac's Cathedral. We saw more than the ship tours offered (as Catherine's palace is far away and not all the tours go there). And it was easier to maneuver the large palaces and especially the Hermitage with only a group of 8 people. I normally don't mind large tour groups like the cruise lines have but for St. Petersburg we were very very glad we had a private tour with this company.

P.S., one day we also had a shopping stop (which was at our request) and the guide took us a store that she said was reputable and she helped us with our selections. In the museum stores, etc., as well she helped to tell us what to buy there or what to get someplace else for better quality and better price.