how to get to rental car at Port Everglades?

We'll be disembarking Vision in October in Ft Lauderdale. We'll need a rental car ASAP. We generally use National or Alamo.

I've read many threads about rental cars, I've looked at the Ft L airport website for rental car info, I've looked in other places I can't remember now, and no confusion has lifted yet.

Can someone help me out? Where are the rental agencies and how do you get to them?

Thanks!

They are all located in the same building -- from baggage claim you take the free airport shuttle bus - very easy

Thanks for the reply. :D

Alas, we'll be getting off the ship and then we need a rental car. We aren't going to the airport for a flight; we're driving elsewhere.

I've read that there are no shuttles at the port to rental agencies, I've read that there are shuttles to rental agencies- basically the posts are all over the place that I've seen.

I know there are rental agencies at the airport; I don't know if there are stand-alone agencies closer to the port.

You'd think the rental car sites would be easier to figure out, but sadly they aren't.

And I don't know how to get to the rental car agencies, either standalone or airport-based. :o (because of the back and forth about shuttles at the Ft L. port)

There are no rental car agencies at port everglades. To get to one you will have to take a cab or shuttle. Google the one you want for an address/office location and if they offer a shuttle or call them

For example, Google brings up this

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/RentalCars.aspx

Edited by setsail

There is a Budget office on 17th Street, right outside the port. You can wait for their shuttle or grab a cab. It's very close. We rented a car after a Trans Atlantic. Just grabbed a cab and only a few dollars, got to the office before it opened. There is a bagel place nearby so grabbed a bagel and coffee and waited a bit for the office to open, then got our car and were on our way.

There are no rental car agencies at port everglades. To get to one you will have to take a cab or shuttle. Google the one you want for an address/office location and if they offer a shuttle or call them

For example, Google brings up this

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/RentalCars.aspx

Thanks. That's the rental place at FLL, I think?

There is a Budget office on 17th Street, right outside the port. You can wait for their shuttle or grab a cab. It's very close. We rented a car after a Trans Atlantic. Just grabbed a cab and only a few dollars, got to the office before it opened. There is a bagel place nearby so grabbed a bagel and coffee and waited a bit for the office to open, then got our car and were on our way.

Thanks.

Don't go to the airport (FLL) no need to do that at all, the closest car rental agency is Thrifty/Dollar which is just outside the Port Everglades gate..they have a free shuttle from the terminal to their rental office on Miami Road. We have used this location..quick and easy.

Just to clarify. I can take a free shuttle from port Everglades to the Fort Lauderdale airport. Thanks for the info.

If you have a Reservation with a rental car company from the Airport and this Company offers a free shuttle (like many of them do for their customers) then yes.

If you are debraking the ship and have a flight home, then no there is no free shuttle to the Airport.

Only 1 has a shuttle to the airport...avis, hertz, budget and others have locations near the pier...for instance Hertz is also at the crowne plaza hotel...they have a shuttle.

CALL the companies and ask them...or look on line. For most if you enter Port Everglades, it will give a location and say something like "use this for Port Everglades cruise ships...."

It really is not hard.....just pay attention to the hours......

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

Only 1 has a shuttle to the airport...avis, hertz, budget and others have locations near the pier...for instance Hertz is also at the crowne plaza hotel...they have a shuttle.

CALL the companies and ask them...or look on line. For most if you enter Port Everglades, it will give a location and say something like "use this for Port Everglades cruise ships...."

It really is not hard.....just pay attention to the hours......

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

They must have missed the Memo when they picked me up to take me to their Airport Office, specifically Hertz and Avis.:rolleyes:

We'll be disembarking Vision in October in Ft Lauderdale. We'll need a rental car ASAP. We generally use National or Alamo.

I've read many threads about rental cars, I've looked at the Ft L airport website for rental car info, I've looked in other places I can't remember now, and no confusion has lifted yet.

Can someone help me out? Where are the rental agencies and how do you get to them?

Thanks!

If you need a rental car ASAP, take a taxi to the airport. The taxi ride to the airport is only a few dollars more than a taxi to an off-site location. The selection of cars will be better at the airport and the lines may be shorter at the airport.

Why rent a car at the airport and incur all the additional costs associated with an airport rental if not absolutely necessary?

We always rent our one-way rental at Budget at Quay Plaza on 17th Street. Last year a 30-day rental cost us $850...renting the same class of vehicle from Budget at the airport would have cost over $1200!!

Lew

Don't go to the airport (FLL) no need to do that at all, the closest car rental agency is Thrifty/Dollar which is just outside the Port Everglades gate..they have a free shuttle from the terminal to their rental office on Miami Road. We have used this location..quick and easy.

X2

I've used them a bunch of times. In fact, I will be dropping a car off there today before my allure cruise. I picked it up fri at fll, and will be dropping off at Port Everglades location. Start typing f-o-r-t-l, and that location will pop up on dollars website. It's just outside of port gate, and they offer a free shuttle. The port is huge, so you do need to take the shuttle, or a cab.

I will be doing the reverse rental next Sunday (pick up port, drop off fll).

The replies to your question reinforce the fact that renting a car from this area is confusing.

Posted this update on the Florida Departure board just last week.....

As I have previously highly recommended Alamo/National for Port Everglades post-cruise rental car pick-up, due to their large bus and it's frequency, I wanted to report that things have changed. I have had 6 cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale this past year.

On a B2B on RCI Vision this past week, Alamo let me down on 2 rentals in the same week. The shuttle never showed up on the first arrival when we were the only ship at Terminal 18. In the end we were over 40 passengers waiting and I just took a taxi as the shuttle never arrived. We waited over 1 hour on arrival at Terminal 22/24 and was able to get a good overview of operations during this wait.

Budget new large van circulated every 20 minutes to 17th street location.

Sixt small van circulated once to 17th street location.

Thrifty / Dollar large van circulated every 20 minutes to location at Spangler exit near US1.

Avis had large van every 30 minutes to location at Hyatt Pier 66

Hertz had new large van to US1 Crowne Plaza hotel location every 20 minutes.

Alamo/National is still only bus to airport but has now become undependable and I will never use them again following these 2 poor experiences in one week. Called the Airport location 3 times and never reached an agent, but only was directed to an answering machine that they were unavailable.

The replies to your question reinforce the fact that renting a car from this area is confusing.

:p It really does.

Posted this update on the Florida Departure board just last week.....

As I have previously highly recommended Alamo/National for Port Everglades post-cruise rental car pick-up, due to their large bus and it's frequency, I wanted to report that things have changed. I have had 6 cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale this past year.

On a B2B on RCI Vision this past week, Alamo let me down on 2 rentals in the same week. The shuttle never showed up on the first arrival when we were the only ship at Terminal 18. In the end we were over 40 passengers waiting and I just took a taxi as the shuttle never arrived. We waited over 1 hour on arrival at Terminal 22/24 and was able to get a good overview of operations during this wait.

Budget new large van circulated every 20 minutes to 17th street location.

Sixt small van circulated once to 17th street location.

Thrifty / Dollar large van circulated every 20 minutes to location at Spangler exit near US1.

Avis had large van every 30 minutes to location at Hyatt Pier 66

Hertz had new large van to US1 Crowne Plaza hotel location every 20 minutes.

Alamo/National is still only bus to airport but has now become undependable and I will never use them again following these 2 poor experiences in one week. Called the Airport location 3 times and never reached an agent, but only was directed to an answering machine that they were unavailable.

Thanks!

And thanks for the other replies that I thought I was clicking to multi-quote, but this board just doesn't do multi-quote the way I'm used to. I do appreciate all responses, even if they are not pointing me in the direction of using the free National day that DH just earned, LOL. (or at the very least making sure we take a cab to the airport!)

Basically we've lost our minds and added a 5 night on Vision BEFORE our long-booked 4 night Disney cruise. We disembark in Fort Lauderdale on the same day we embark in Port Canaveral. Sounded so good at the time, LOL.

Just off the Allure on May 4th, we booked a car through Dollar, the FREE shuttle picked us up at the pier after the cruise, took us to the rental agency, we dropped the car off at the Airport when finished as we had a late flight. Worked well. We booked it online before we went on the cruise. When you come out of the terminal, just ask a worker/porter/taxi driver where the shuttle is for the Dollar car rental, it wasn't so obvious at the front doors.

Good luck..

I have used the Budget shuttle four times (two times going from the 17th street office to the ship and two times off the ship to the 17th street office. I have returned two cars at the 17th street office, and it is actually faster than the airport since the guy there grabs your keys and contract when you pull up and then comes back out in a few minutes while you are unloading with your completed contract.

Picking up there is also quite easy. Just rent the class of car you want, and they will have it available. As has been mentioned, there are less fees at the 17th street location compared to the airport.