Travel Insurance

Hi cruising for 14 days in Nov from Sydney to Fiji. I would appreciate some advice on travel insurance.

I believe travel insurance is essential. Do you have a credit card that includes 'free' travel insurance? We have relied on this type of travel insurance for a lot of years and have had no problems claiming when necessary.

Otherwise check on prices and coverage. Travel Insurance Direct is a good company. Others will have good suggestions also.

Hi cruising for 14 days in Nov from Sydney to Fiji. I would appreciate some advice on travel insurance.

Never leave home without it :p At the risk of getting this post pulled - 1 Cover or Covermore :) Both have worked for us with claims - no issues

Edited by dizzy1948

Never leave home without it :p At the risk of getting this post pulled - 1 Cover or Covermore :) Both have worked for us with claims - no issues

Definitely get some, just google a insurance comparison site and it will come up with plenty of options. Australia post do one that i have used for domestic travel and it worked well.:D

If I was you I'd just ......comparethemarketdotcomdotau.......like I did. When I was presented with a list, I started at the top, with the cheapest and worked my way down the list looking at what each company covered in their policies until I found the first one to cover what I needed. I then did a thorough comparison to what I'd had in the past and ended up with Southern Cross travel care Travel Insurance. What pleases me most is the 50% or so that I saved off my previous insurers.

If I was you I'd just ......comparethemarketdotcomdotau.......like I did. When I was presented with a list, I started at the top, with the cheapest and worked my way down the list looking at what each company covered in their policies until I found the first one to cover what I needed. I then did a thorough comparison to what I'd had in the past and ended up with Southern Cross travel care Travel Insurance. What pleases me most is the 50% or so that I saved off my previous insurers.

Thanks for another compare site. cheers.:D

It's good to shop around and compare prices as suggested already by members. But, my own advise (working closely with Insurerers and Insurance agencies), is with insurance you often get what you pay for.

If you find a policy that is cheaper than someone else's, before you jump on it, there is generally a good reason it's cheaper, so find out why (read the fine print - or have an agent detail it for you if it's difficult to work out). You may find yourself, uninsured in a meriod of scenarios if you are not careful.

It's good to shop around and compare prices as suggested already by members. But, my own advise (working closely with Insurerers and Insurance agencies), is with insurance you often get what you pay for.

If you find a policy that is cheaper than someone else's, before you jump on it, there is generally a good reason it's cheaper, so find out why (read the fine print - or have an agent detail it for you if it's difficult to work out). You may find yourself, uninsured in a meriod of scenarios if you are not careful.

I too have worked extensively in the Insurance business. Its for that reason that, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I thoroughly investigated the policies before I took the plunge. I guess the fruit of the pudding is in the eating but so far, I'm impressed with SCTI. I must admit though, the 50% saving was the deciding factor.

When you're on a good thing, stick to it. When you find a better thing, switch too it.

I too have worked extensively in the Insurance business. Its for that reason that, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I thoroughly investigated the policies before I took the plunge. I guess the fruit of the pudding is in the eating but so far, I'm impressed with SCTI. I must admit though, the 50% saving was the deciding factor.

When you're on a good thing, stick to it. When you find a better thing, switch too it.

I'll put in another vote for SCTI - I've used them now for the past 3 years. I came across them after a Choice Mag review rated them extremely highly for value. Great prices, easy to purchase. Only downside is they are an "online" company but there's a phone number and a friend of mine who uses them didn't have an issue calling them from OS regarding a claim.

Now a question of my own - for coastal/domestic and sampler cruises - do the experienced among us think it is a necessity then as well?

I'll put in another vote for SCTI - I've used them now for the past 3 years. I came across them after a Choice Mag review rated them extremely highly for value. Great prices, easy to purchase. Only downside is they are an "online" company but there's a phone number and a friend of mine who uses them didn't have an issue calling them from OS regarding a claim.

Now a question of my own - for coastal/domestic and sampler cruises - do the experienced among us think it is a necessity then as well?

Yes, the medical bills on a ship can be very very expensive. Medicare will not cover it.:D

It all depends. Would you be happy to take up the risk of the worst case if you are wrong e.g. helicopter evacuation? If you think you're fit and well, and happy with the risk then you can. But if you're at higher risk, or just not happy to wear that risk if something goes wrong, best to pay up.

It all depends. Would you be happy to take up the risk of the worst case if you are wrong e.g. helicopter evacuation? If you think you're fit and well, and happy with the risk then you can. But if you're at higher risk, or just not happy to wear that risk if something goes wrong, best to pay up.

Guess I was thinking from the point of view that aside from major disaster, a standard illness you could suffer a night or two and if you're in an Aussie port every day or every second day it'd be easy enough to go ashore and go to the local hospital/GP under the standard Medicare system, but then thinking about it - you're right - the cost of the insurance is generally cheaper than a short notice flight home from where ever you might have to disembark early. Thanks for the prompting to think it through. :o

This site has a comparison specifically for cruise travel insurance http://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/cruise. Virgin Money and Citibank came out on top for my trip. More cover for less and both are backed by strong underwriters, which is important if you're unlucky enough to have to make a claim.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, nice link for the first post as well.:D

I would recommend Travel Insurance Direct. I have used them for many years and made a couple of claims with success.

If you do a lot of travel, they also offer an Annual Travel Insurance at very competitive rates

I would recommend Travel Insurance Direct. I have used them for many years and made a couple of claims with success.

If you do a lot of travel, they also offer an Annual Travel Insurance at very competitive rates

Thanks.

One issue with travel insurance for domestic cruises is that you definitely want cruise insurance. A lot of the sites exclude the medical part as soon as you say you are an Australian citizen doing domestic travel. Something to watch out for anyway.:D

My experience with southern cross was a very bad one, and I would never ever ever insure with them again.

As with all insurance, the test comes when you need to claim.

I booked an OS trip, took insurance with SCTI the day I booked the flights, and was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks later.

They fought me saying it was a pre-exisiting condition. Long story short I eventually won the battle but not what I needed to be fighting at the time that I was fighting for my life. In all cancellation costs were a total of roughly $1200 so not exactly a huge amount when talking insurance.

We have used or CC insurance cover for all our travel, cruising, European flights etc, and never made a claim. Unfortunately now that the big 80 has come up, we are no longer covered for medical, everything else is still covered, but we would be reluctant to travel without medical cover. Looking into the costs now, it is hard to find a company to cover us, and the premiums are very expensive, even without pre existing problems. :(

My experience with southern cross was a very bad one, and I would never ever ever insure with them again.

I booked an OS trip, took insurance with SCTI the day I booked the flights, and was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks later.

They fought me saying it was a pre-exisiting condition. Long story short I eventually won the battle but not what I needed to be fighting at the time that I was fighting for my life. In all cancellation costs were a total of roughly $1200 so not exactly a huge amount when talking insurance.

I had a similar experience with Covermore in 2008 which I had purchased at the same time as my flights through an agent 10 months before travel. When I had to cancel the trip 3 months out they wouldn't take the claim so I lost around $2K of non refundable deposits that I was never able to win that fight. I did however replan and take that trip in 2012 and it was fantastic :D

I wonder if it's common that all insurance companies are "difficult" for claims pre-departure :rolleyes:

How terrible for them to treat you like that. I suppose they will try anything to stop a payout. :( I am glad that you have won on both counts:D

We have used or CC insurance cover for all our travel, cruising, European flights etc, and never made a claim. Unfortunately now that the big 80 has come up, we are no longer covered for medical, everything else is still covered, but we would be reluctant to travel without medical cover. Looking into the costs now, it is hard to find a company to cover us, and the premiums are very expensive, even without pre existing problems. :(

You might want to look here as they cover including medical up to age 100 http://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/cruise-travel-insurance.html

If you have time to shop around then take it.

Some people buy travel insurance the moment they book a trip. A wise traveller looking for a bargain would hold off purchasing travel insurance until they have made a substantial payment being full fare or airfare.

If all you have put down is a small deposit then you can hold off until you are ready to make full payment.

If you have made a substantial payment such as airfares or full payment then you would be better off getting travel insurance asap.

It pays to shop around and purchase a policy that best suits your personal needs. What is good for others is generally not good for you.

For instance I look for an affordable policy that will cover at least $10,000 worth of camera equipment/electronics. The average insurance policy covers $2000 worth, my equipment comes in just over $5000.

Yes unfortunately they are a business and out to avoid paying out if they possibly can. The last few years we have taken an annual policy as we are now taking several trips a year. I have done a bit more research recently as the annual policy was up for renewal and cost increased dramatically. We have now decided to go with the credit card insurance, a $45 loading for pre existing cover. Do check fine print though as this particular insurance CBA only covers for overseas travel of $1000 or more per person. Our most recent cruise was less than $1000 per person which meant we couldn't use it. I then went with insure and go. No need to claim so no idea how good they would have been.