Gained 7-8 pounds on last cruise

I kinda feel bad since I gained 7-8 pounds on my last cruise. I came in with a plan to exercise daily and I didn't even go to the gym once. I'm back on my normal healthy way of eating and exercise and I feel great again. I are pretty healthy on the cruise but I got the premium drink package and went a little overboard. I didn't have the massive plates filled with food, I didn't sleep next to the freestyle coke machine and I limited the desserts I had.

Another thing that I noticed was that there were lots of overweight adults and kids on the ship I went on. It was a shame. I heard one kid brag that his urine was orange because he drank so much soda. Just sad parenting even if you're on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I make it a daily ritual to walk a mile a day on board.... however many laps of the jogging track that is... when in the Caribbean first thing before breakfast as the world is waking up is wonderful and on a TA.... not sure how that's going to work next month in the Baltics.

I make it a daily ritual to walk a mile a day on board.... however many laps of the jogging track that is... when in the Caribbean first thing before breakfast as the world is waking up is wonderful and on a TA.... not sure how that's going to work next month in the Baltics.

I walked a lot and rarely took the elevators but I just drank too much beer and cocktails. Good luck on your next cruise.

We've just returned from an 8 day Norwegian cruise on Legend- didn't use the elevator once! Mind you- I haven't yet dared get on the scales...:rolleyes:

I got on the scales because I felt bad and needed to know how much damage I did to my body. In a month or so I'll be back to my original weight so I'm not worried but I did feel bad. Gotta do better next time.

I don't think anyone should be concerned about dieting on a cruise (unless for medical reasons). We all need a vacation from our normal routines. As long as those 7-8 pounds don't remain with you as souvenirs, you will be fine.

I've been able to keep my weight gain down below 5 lbs and on the last couple of cruises to about 3. We walk a lot. A mile a day is nothing. I eat one piece of bread at dinner and rarely at all at lunch. Breakfast is my downfall as I eat a lot more than I do at home. Otherwise, I drink in moderation, never have soda and eat soft serve only once or twice per cruise (and we tend to go on 10+ nights). Something else I do is although I love frozen mudslides, I have one or two per cruise. I drink wine with dinner and usually have only one mixed drink in the afternoon-either a pineapple and malibu or something like a Bahama Mama. But, then, we go to the D lounge and I have a couple of drinks (usually wine). I've found all these help keep weight off, except for the wine of course.

BTW, it's much easier to gain the weight than it is to lose it and I normally walk 4-5 miles several days per week.

Edited by BND

I don't worry too much about the 7-8 pounds you gain on the cruise, most of it drops off just as quickly when you get home and stop eating and drinking 24/7. It's the last 2 pounds that seem to stick that are the problem. I've been on a few cruises now and they are starting to add up :D

I've been able to keep my weight gain down below 5 lbs and on the last couple of cruises to about 3. We walk a lot. A mile a day is nothing. I eat one piece of bread at dinner and rarely at all at lunch. Breakfast is my downfall as I eat a lot more than I do at home. Otherwise, I drink in moderation, never have soda and eat soft serve only once or twice per cruise (and we tend to go on 10+ nights). Something else I do is although I love frozen mudslides, I have one or two per cruise. I drink wine with dinner and usually have only one mixed drink in the afternoon-either a pineapple and malibu or something like a Bahama Mama. But, then, we go to the D lounge and I have a couple of drinks (usually wine). I've found all these help keep weight off, except for the wine of course.

BTW, it's much easier to gain the weight than it is to lose it and I normally walk 4-5 miles several days per week.

You sound a little more self disciplined than most!

I don't worry too much about the 7-8 pounds you gain on the cruise, most of it drops off just as quickly when you get home and stop eating and drinking 24/7. It's the last 2 pounds that seem to stick that are the problem. I've been on a few cruises now and they are starting to add up :D

Exactly!

Edited by podgeandrodge

I think you can't overstate how beneficial NOT taking the elevator is. On my last cruise we didn't take the elevator one time. Day 1 I'd get a little tired, HR elevated and even a little lactic acid buildup. By Day 7, I could practically run up 6 decks like it was nothing.

I ran 4 day and I still gained weight! That's just because I allow the wheel to come off the cart on a cruise. Desert at literally every meal and lots of bread at dinner.

I don't think anyone should be concerned about dieting on a cruise (unless for medical reasons). We all need a vacation from our normal routines. As long as those 7-8 pounds don't remain with you as souvenirs, you will be fine.

I don't diet, I make lifestyle changes. Dieting is temporary

I think you can't overstate how beneficial NOT taking the elevator is. On my last cruise we didn't take the elevator one time. Day 1 I'd get a little tired, HR elevated and even a little lactic acid buildup. By Day 7, I could practically run up 6 decks like it was nothing.

I ran 4 day and I still gained weight! That's just because I allow the wheel to come off the cart on a cruise. Desert at literally every meal and lots of bread at dinner.

The breads are the best!!

Sounds like you had a good cruise!

I gained 8 lbs on our cruise in March - and we went to the gym every day, and NEVER took the elevator (yes, even after shore trips). And I still gained 8 lbs. I over ate. I indulged. I eat dessert every night. I picked up cookies at the Promenade Cafe. I had at Ben and Jerry's. And I'd do it all over again. When I cruise, my high protein, low carb life goes out the window for 7-10 days

BTW, I gotta mention that I find some humour that you point out kids drinking too much soda when you admit to the good use of your drink package :)

Sounds like you had a good cruise!

I gained 8 lbs on our cruise in March - and we went to the gym every day, and NEVER took the elevator (yes, even after shore trips). And I still gained 8 lbs. I over ate. I indulged. I eat dessert every night. I picked up cookies at the Promenade Cafe. I had at Ben and Jerry's. And I'd do it all over again. When I cruise, my high protein, low carb life goes out the window for 7-10 days

BTW, I gotta mention that I find some humour that you point out kids drinking too much soda when you admit to the good use of your drink package :)

Kids don't work out like I do so you can point that out if you'd like and I'm not overweight. I'm an adult so I can do things my kids can't like drink alcohol. I can also go to the gym everyday and workout and lift weights and they can't. We all should want better for our kids which I do. I rarely drink and yes I took advantage of it on a 5 day cruise without my kids being with me. Sue me!

Kids don't work out like I do so you can point that out if you'd like and I'm not overweight. I'm an adult so I can do things my kids can't like drink alcohol. I can also go to the gym everyday and workout and lift weights and they can't. We all should want better for our kids which I do. I rarely drink and yes I took advantage of it on a 5 day cruise without my kids being with me. Sue me!

Sensitive much? I just said I found humour in it. More power to you if you get drunk 24/7 on a cruise. It doesn't bother me what you do.

It's a cruise, and this is cruise critic. Offering life opinions on fitness, drinking, gambling, eating, smoking, parenting, is slightly outside of the scope of these boards. We all have our vices, but preaching is usually fruitless.

Sensitive much? I just said I found humour in it. More power to you if you get drunk 24/7 on a cruise. It doesn't bother me what you do.

It's a cruise, and this is cruise critic. Offering life opinions on fitness, drinking, gambling, eating, smoking, parenting, is slightly outside of the scope of these boards. We all have our vices, but preaching is usually fruitless.

Not quite 24/7

I have found that a lot of my weight gain on a cruise has been water weight. Last year DH and I were on 7 cruises (2 7 day and 5 4 day, the benefits of living in FLA :cool:) and didn't gain any weight on them. I ate and drank what I wanted and I also did run on each cruise but I found that if I drink a glass of water with each drink I have that has helped me keep the lbs off.:confused:

I kinda feel bad since I gained 7-8 pounds on my last cruise. I came in with a plan to exercise daily and I didn't even go to the gym once. I'm back on my normal healthy way of eating and exercise and I feel great again. I are pretty healthy on the cruise but I got the premium drink package and went a little overboard. I didn't have the massive plates filled with food, I didn't sleep next to the freestyle coke machine and I limited the desserts I had.

Another thing that I noticed was that there were lots of overweight adults and kids on the ship I went on. It was a shame. I heard one kid brag that his urine was orange because he drank so much soda. Just sad parenting even if you're on vacation.

When we went on our first cruise in 2004 on Navigator we probably ate too much, and since we were with very good friends that we had not seen in over a year, drank a little more than normal. But we were so busy doing things, excursions, walking and even hitting the gym, the few pounds we did gain -- left us quickly after being home.

Now having taken 14 more cruises we enjoy whatever we want to eat, enjoy evening drinks....get to the gym almost daily on board, fit in the excursions we want....walk a lot on board.....and rarely gain weight. It is doable, and still enjoyable.

Unlike some people (who I have overheard talking in the elevator) I don't find it necessary to bring 'my fat clothes' that I will need to wear by the end of my cruise, because of the weight gain I had during my cruise.

When we went on our first cruise in 2004 on Navigator we probably ate too much, and since we were with very good friends that we had not seen in over a year, drank a little more than normal. But we were so busy doing things, excursions, walking and even hitting the gym, the few pounds we did gain -- left us quickly after being home.

Now having taken 14 more cruises we enjoy whatever we want to eat, enjoy evening drinks....get to the gym almost daily on board, fit in the excursions we want....walk a lot on board.....and rarely gain weight. It is doable, and still enjoyable.

Unlike some people (who I have overheard talking in the elevator) I don't find it necessary to bring 'my fat clothes' that I will need to wear by the end of my cruise, because of the weight gain I had during my cruise.

Nice! What part of the day did you go to the gym? I'm an active parent with my kids and they tire me out. On my last cruise I was expecting to workout, but my wife and I ended up sleeping and just resting. We both are all over the place when we are home so it was nice to not deal with that and have a break from the kids for 5 days. Should've worked out tho and I regret that.