Gained 7-8 pounds on last cruise

We just returned from an 7 day cruise yesterday and checked the scale this morning and saw that I had lost almost 5 pounds. This was probably due to the fact that we worked this cruise and didn't drink as much as we usually do along with a lot of walking. According to our step counters we averaged 26,000 steps a day. But it is nice not have to deal with losing the weight you usually gain after a cruise.

We just returned from an 7 day cruise yesterday and checked the scale this morning and saw that I had lost almost 5 pounds. This was probably due to the fact that we worked this cruise and didn't drink as much as we usually do along with a lot of walking. According to our step counters we averaged 26,000 steps a day. But it is nice not have to deal with losing the weight you usually gain after a cruise.

Wow that's great. My wife also lost 5 pounds, but she doesn't drink alcohol at all. She drank mostly water and had a milkshake at Johnny rockets. The drink package was my downfall but I chose to get it and I chose to drink as much as I did. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just as long as you go back to your healthy lifestyle after the trip I do not see why it is so bad to enjoy on vacation for both kids and adults. Maybe if you vacation a lot it is a different story but most who travel once or twice a year should be able to let loose a bit and enjoy.

I don't diet, I make lifestyle changes. Dieting is temporary

That is 100% correct. That word should be eliminated from our thoughts. Eating healthy is a way of life.......except when on a cruise. I still eat good and don't drink more than I do at home, but I will eat desserts and other goodies that I wouldn't when at home.

One thing about the extra weight, some may be water weight. They tend to use much more salt than I do at home and the extra weight I bring back is a lot of water.

That is 100% correct. That word should be eliminated from our thoughts. Eating healthy is a way of life.......except when on a cruise. I still eat good and don't drink more than I do at home, but I will eat desserts and other goodies that I wouldn't when at home.

One thing about the extra weight, some may be water weight. They tend to use much more salt than I do at home and the extra weight I bring back is a lot of water.

Some people don't get the difference between a diet and lifestyle change, but I'm glad you did. Whatever it is I'm not happy with it but I'm taking care of my mistake lol.

When we get back from a cruise, we wait about 3 days to weigh ourselves. Since air travel, high sodium in cruise line food and alcohol all effect wait gain due to water retention, our weight 3 days later gives us a more accurate real weight gain. On our last 2 cruises we both averaged about 2 pounds up.

I agree about the water weight. Both my daughters and I had a lot of swollen feet and hands last cruise. We had all been really careful pre cruise and then slipped onboard. We have all taken it back off since cruise but it can be shocking to see those extra pounds, water or not! Hope you enjoyed your cruise anyway, we did. We also make sure that we walk the stairs instead of taking the elevators and that really does make a difference, especially on the Oasis class, I learned to hate those stairs but the scale was much better when I got home this time.

Its funny how everyone on this website says they take the stairs.

But when I am on a ship, everyone is in line at the elevators.

And nobody is taking the stairs, even 1 flight down.

I believe some people are lying....

We almost never use the elevators either and it's so hard the first few days but by the end of the cruise we have no problems going up.....for the record we both work out at home and do walk the track on the ship and occasionally use the gym....but it IS vacation after all. :D

Well I think you're lying because everybody doesn't take the elevator either. I doubt everyone is lined up at the elevator waiting. I've been on lots of cruises and there's always a mix of people doing both

I'm usually good and take the stairs, but I do allow myself a treat when there are glass elevators with views of the ship or over the sea, especially at night when there are no queues - after all I'm on my holidays :D

Must be a small ship for you to know what everyone is doing. Lol

Since you can't possibly watch/know everyone -- I can only say, YOU have never been on a cruise with ME and DH.

Speak for yourself about who is telling the truth or not. Yes, there are people waiting for elevators all the time, when I am on board.....but not I very often.

I was certain I had gained at least 15 lb I did not eat healthy - sweets all the time , drank too much alcoholic fruity drinks and I am constantly on a diet at home
I come back from the cruise - DH is + 5 lbs I am 2 lbs less how is that possible?!?!

[quote name='CruiseAddict1982']Well I think you're lying because everybody doesn't take the elevator either. I doubt everyone is lined up at the elevator waiting. I've been on lots of cruises and there's always a mix of people doing both

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Good grief, lighten up! He was joking:rolleyes:

[quote name='bouhunter']Good grief, lighten up! He was joking:rolleyes:[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Exactly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]People on this site are way to serious.

Or maybe they are in denial...[/SIZE] Edited by matj2000

[quote name='CruiseAddict1982']

Another thing that I noticed was that there were lots of overweight adults and kids on the ship I went on. It was a shame.

Judgmental much ? Must be tough being so perfect that you go around noticing everyone else's faults. Bravo.

You sound very narcissistic and stuck on yourself..

[quote name='CruiseAddict1982']Must be a small ship for you to know what everyone is doing. Lol

Gee .. and two replies back, you said the same thing to Matj about your observation of "everyone" . ..

:DWell I must be doing something right, only gained 7 lbs and that was on a 14 night transatlantic with 8 sea days, so not much opportunity for walking around a port!:D

I did go to the fitness centre every day for the last 7 days of the sailing and did 35 minutes of hard cycling.

We ate at Johnny Rockets 3 times, complete with milkshakes, ate desserts each evening, drank 7 bottles of wine each over the 14 nights at dinner, a minimum of 3 cocktails before dinner and then a couple of beverages after dinner.

Ate a good full RCI 'classic' breakfast daily complete with 2 eggs and pancakes. Depended where we were for lunch, but it was a meal.

Having been back 7 days, I can say 3 lbs has dropped already so it isn't going to take me a month to get back to my pre cruise weight.

Reading this I feel I did OK as I wasn't on a 5 day sailing, and oh I didn't take the stairs all the time, only to go 1 deck up to the Windjammer, or 1 deck down to the concierge lounge:D Edited by peteukmcr

[quote name='CruiseAddict1982']I walked a lot and rarely took the elevators but I just drank too much beer and cocktails. Good luck on your next cruise.

duplicate post Edited by Shekim

[quote name='matj2000'][SIZE=3]Its funny how everyone on this website says they take the stairs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]But when I am on a ship, everyone is in line at the elevators.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And nobody is taking the stairs, even 1 flight down.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I believe some people are lying....[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Not me...my gf got me using the stairs exclusively on cruises a year ago and got my kids doing it last cruise. They complained but after the first day wouldn't even walk towards the elevator.

I'll note that often I see the same families exclusively walking the stairs over a cruise. Typically they're not fat, in fact never.

We do the stairs, and I must add last summer on the Allure being in a CL suite (deck 17) I thought the first day I would have a massive heart attack.............I was so out of breath after the muster drill going up to deck 14.............that I was glad we rested there for sail a way.

The only times we did elevators were on Formal night, semi formal night, and the night I was too, well, I was feeling no pain from all the alcohol:eek: that DH would not be responsible for my walking up stairs.

It did help, and will do again (stairs, not alcohol:D).

Sea Ya