Gained 7-8 pounds on last cruise

Just back yesterday from a 30 day (plus 3 days precruise in Sydney and 1 day post cruise in Seattle) cruise on Radiance and very pleased with only a 6 lb weight gain. Went to the gym today and came back 3 lbs lighter! :D

Sherri:)

[quote name='Toddcan']Sounds like you had a good cruise!

I gained 8 lbs on our cruise in March - and we went to the gym every day, and NEVER took the elevator (yes, even after shore trips). And I still gained 8 lbs. I over ate. I indulged. I eat dessert every night. I picked up cookies at the Promenade Cafe. I had at Ben and Jerry's. And I'd do it all over again. When I cruise, my high protein, low carb life goes out the window for 7-10 days

BTW, I gotta mention that I find some humour that you point out kids drinking too much soda when you admit to the good use of your drink package :)[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm always having to eat high protein, low carb and no sugar just to not be huge. I let go on cruises. I also think that stating the weight you gained only counts after day 3 or 4 of being off the ship. I always retain a bunch of water and well… Maybe i'm not as regular. I get back and start eating normal again and 3 days later after that is what really counts as true fat gain, not just superficial weight.

Having said that I will say that I gained a few on my last cruise but it set the wheels in motion and I had a hard time getting back on track because I remember how good carbs and sugar tasted. :eek:

I will also say that I hate to judge people when I'm in a situation like that. Some parents do a really bad job of letting their kids get obese but some people truly try really hard and can still be overweight. I'm not saying this is the case. I just try to only make sure that the 4 (including myself) in my family aren't overweight.

Debbie

I usually gain 7-8 lbs. also on cruises we take. That's why I started my diet 2 weeks ago for our November cruise. Plan on losing 15 lbs. so when I gain my 7-8 lbs. in November I'll still be ahead. At least that is the plan.:p

[quote name='NorbertsNiece'][URL="http://www.calwineries.com/learn/wine-and-health/science-of-wine-and-health/calories"]Here[/URL]'s the calorific values of some of my favourite alcoholic beverages. :p :o ;)[/QUOTE]Thank goodness I remain mostly on the G&T and Chardonnay. :D

[quote name='matj2000'][SIZE=3]Its funny how everyone on this website says they take the stairs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]But when I am on a ship, everyone is in line at the elevators.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And nobody is taking the stairs, even 1 flight down.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I believe some people are lying....[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

While I agree that a lot more people take the elevator, I see people on the stairs all the time. I'm one of them. I take the stairs most of the time, exceptions being when wearing really high heels or being in a time crunch--although often I would beat my DH to the room when he took the elevator and I took the stairs.

On our last cruise it was 104 steps (yes, I counted!) from the promenade deck to our cabin on Lido. And more if I started down on deck five or six, so not an easy climb! By the end of the 17 days I at least didn't feel like I might die before hitting the top.

I usually gain 2-5 pounds on a cruise in spite of all those steps and walking 2-3 miles a day, as well as mostly active port days. But, I don't limit what I eat at all--although try not to stuff myself. I lose it in a week or two of normal eating. I don't drink, which helps.

[quote name='Lionesss']We do the stairs, and I must add last summer on the Allure being in a CL suite (deck 17) I thought the first day I would have a massive heart attack.............I was so out of breath after the muster drill going up to deck 14.............that I was glad we rested there for sail a way.

The only times we did elevators were on Formal night, semi formal night, and the night I was too, well, I was feeling no pain from all the alcohol:eek: that DH would not be responsible for my walking up stairs.

It did help, and will do again (stairs, not alcohol:D).

Sea Ya[/QUOTE]

Too funny! We stay on deck14 and take the stairs the majority of the time. Typically don't gain weight, just maintain. I walk for an hour every morning and my Fitbit usually registers around 20,000 steps per day. I don't worry about weight gain per se, but I am aware...

We try to eat the same as when we are at home and rarely find ourselves going for seconds. 7-8 pounds...it will come off in time ;)

Well I think I have finally found my perfect diet. No diet!! For about 2 months now I have made finally a lifestyle change!! I have a calorie app for my phone and track what I eat at first I tracked every bite. I now try to avoid heavy carbs and sugar. At first it was real hard I craved them. I would have a small piece of dark chocolate almost every night. Now I have a bite here and there and that's enough. I have foot issues exercise on my feet are a bit hard but I do in small intervals. So far I'm down 14-15 1/2 pounds depends on the day. Every so often on a fri night I have 2 slices of pizza but with a big salad or broccoli rabe. I won't be walking up to many stairs but will be walking down plenty. I plan to enjoy everything on my next cruise but will think before I eat sooo many carbs. After a wk end of going off now at home I feel sluggish. When vaca is over I'll be back to the new me(I hope)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='FOXTROT']Last cruise we ate at Chops, Portofinos, had dinner with the Captain. Watched what I ate for breakfast & lunch. Had at least 2 drinks every night. Lost 1 pound on the cruise.:D[/QUOTE]

Sounds like what I do. I eat very light for breakfast and lunch, and eat whatever the heck I want for dinner. Bread is my downfall - if I could resist the bread at dinner I'd probably lose weight on a cruise instead of staying the same, or maybe gaining 1-2 pounds. I also take the stairs as much as possible, especially if only going up four flights or less.

On my first ever cruise with Royal Caribbean, I never saw the inside of an elevator. That was the rule I set for myself at the beginning of that 11 nighter and I stuck with it. I've relaxed my "rule" a little, now that ships are getting taller :o

Obviously taking the stairs is wholly dependent on the nature of the destination?

My wife constantly takes the stairs usually from deck 7 to the dining or even the Diamond lounge. Invariably we do use the elevators when we leave the Lounge and make our way to the MTD on 5 or wherever. Much more stable when you are double loaded with drinks! Even better if one can get somebody to press the correct floor button to allow you to alight on the dining floor!

Tried walking the track on the running deck but unfortunately got a stitch after 3 or 4 paces. athleticism not my forte.

Always avoid the on board gymnasium as it looks like a horror chamber although i did once purchase a pair of expensive sneakers and a Nike Top, unbelievably i never lost an ounce whilst wearing this apparel.

We go on cruises to enjoy the company, the food and the ambiance of the vessel, thats our take on it and besides you wouldn't have anything to gripe about if you didn't put on weight and worried about losing it between voyages, would you?

Don't wash your clothes in any chocolate based detergents, that makes them shrink.

[quote name='CruiseAddict1982']I kinda feel bad since I gained 7-8 pounds on my last cruise. I came in with a plan to exercise daily and I didn't even go to the gym once. I'm back on my normal healthy way of eating and exercise and I feel great again. I are pretty healthy on the cruise but I got the premium drink package and went a little overboard. I didn't have the massive plates filled with food, I didn't sleep next to the freestyle coke machine and I limited the desserts I had.

Another thing that I noticed was that there were lots of overweight adults and kids on the ship I went on. It was a shame. I heard one kid brag that his urine was orange because he drank so much soda. Just sad parenting even if you're on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

In order not to have to buy new clothes or a new suit before a cruise, and also in order to look okay in bathing suit photos, I always end up losing 15 to 20 lbs in the month or so before a cruise.

Then I throw down on the cruise.

Anyway, a couple weeks before this year's cruise in February, I happened to have a physical with my doctor. All seemed very good as usual, and he sent me out with an order for bloodwork and urinalysis to check for cholesterol, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to get to the lab for the bloodwork until after our cruise. Now, while cruising I ate like on a cruise, but, notably, I drink 5 or 6 cups of coffee each day, and about 5 glasses of iced tea with dinner. As a result of my indulgence on the cruise (at least I hope this is why) my cholesterol shot up a lot since my last bloodwork, and my PSA number spiked.

I told my doc I had just cruised, so he instructed me to have the bloodwork done again in 4 months.

I guess we should try to watch what we're doing at least a little.

[quote name='Cruzin-K']Sounds like what I do. I eat very light for breakfast and lunch, and eat whatever the heck I want for dinner. Bread is my downfall - if I could resist the bread at dinner I'd probably lose weight on a cruise instead of staying the same, or maybe gaining 1-2 pounds. I also take the stairs as much as possible, especially if only going up four flights or less.

On my first ever cruise with Royal Caribbean, I never saw the inside of an elevator. That was the rule I set for myself at the beginning of that 11 nighter and I stuck with it. I've relaxed my "rule" a little, now that ships are getting taller :o[/QUOTE]

Wow! If you never use the elevator, how do you know which day of the week it is?:confused:

[quote name='NorbertsNiece'][URL="http://www.calwineries.com/learn/wine-and-health/science-of-wine-and-health/calories"]Here[/URL]'s the calorific values of some of my favourite alcoholic beverages. :p :o ;)[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder of why I need to stick with the Jack and Diet rather than the yummy Lemon Drops and Long Beach Iced Tess. 2 oz of Jack with Diet Coke added is only 130 calories (according to my sources).

7-10 lbs weight gain every cruise here. One of my favorite things on a cruise is eating. Our strategy is to lose 5+ pounds in the few weeks before the cruise. Eat anything that we feel like on the ship... one of the best things about cruising. Use the stairs for going down and if only a few decks, up too. Dance our butts off a couple of nights When we get back home go back to our normal, sensible every day diet and work. Gained 10lbs on the Oasis week before last, already lost 8 of them through normal every day life.

I am a 52 year old man with multiple sclerosis. In the last year I have lost 90+ pounds. I have made certain lifestyle changes (diet and exercise). I don't diet, I eat whatever I desire except soda pop, just a lot less. The wife and I are cruising in three weeks from today. I am in the process of pre loosing 10lbs. The plan is to weigh no more than 160lbs at the end of the cruise. If a middle age man with MS can loose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle....anyone can. Live long enough to spend your kids inheritance.
Signed Fit Paul.

[quote name='Fat Paul']I am a 52 year old man with multiple sclerosis. In the last year I have lost 90+ pounds. I have made certain lifestyle changes (diet and exercise). I don't diet, I eat whatever I desire except soda pop, just a lot less. The wife and I are cruising in three weeks from today. I am in the process of pre loosing 10lbs. The plan is to weigh no more than 160lbs at the end of the cruise. If a middle age man with MS can loose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle....anyone can. Live long enough to spend your kids inheritance.
Signed Fit Paul.[/QUOTE]

Stay strong! Have a wonderful cruise.

[quote name='CruiseAddict1982']I kinda feel bad since I gained 7-8 pounds on my last cruise. I came in with a plan to exercise daily and I didn't even go to the gym once. I'm back on my normal healthy way of eating and exercise and I feel great again. I are pretty healthy on the cruise but I got the premium drink package and went a little overboard. I didn't have the massive plates filled with food, I didn't sleep next to the freestyle coke machine and I limited the desserts I had.

Another thing that I noticed was that there were lots of overweight adults and kids on the ship I went on. It was a shame. I heard one kid brag that his urine was orange because he drank so much soda. Just sad parenting even if you're on vacation.
[/QUOTE]

I find it kind of funny that you are talking about how you gained 7-8 pounds primarily by drinking alcohol, but then you slag off about other people's weight (as you mention both kids AND adults).

Guess I always notice the alcoholics when I go on cruises, those who are overindulging and having way more than is healthy for them. Hope your liver recovers soon!!

Much of the weight gain is due to water retention. As they use low quality food and have a low daily budget to feed guests they load the food with salt and MSG type preservatives to disguise taste. If you have that kind of fast food diet at home it might not be as obvious to you but if you have a low salt diet and use premium ingredients then it probably affects you more.

[quote name='londongal796']I find it kind of funny that you are talking about how you gained 7-8 pounds primarily by drinking alcohol, but then you slag off about other people's weight (as you mention both kids AND adults).

Guess I always notice the alcoholics when I go on cruises, those who are overindulging and having way more than is healthy for them. Hope your liver recovers soon!![/QUOTE]

Again, when did I slag off about anyone's weight? Do you even know what an alcoholic is? Please if you're going to quote me please do it correctly. You can drink moderately throughout the cruise like I did and not even get drunk. You know the package also comes with non alcoholic drinks, right? Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='londongal796']I find it kind of funny that you are talking about how you gained 7-8 pounds primarily by drinking alcohol, but then you slag off about other people's weight (as you mention both kids AND adults).

Guess I always notice the alcoholics when I go on cruises, those who are overindulging and having way more than is healthy for them. Hope your liver recovers soon!![/QUOTE]

What I said about kids was they shouldn't get a soda package. I'm different than a kid and can easily burn off the extra calories. What I said about adults was that I see some with tons of food on their plates on cruises. What's wrong with that? Am I lying? Am I hurting someone's feelings because I care about my health? Oh I see, it's ok for you to say people that drink are drunks, but I can't mention the large amount of servings on someone's plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='Worn out mailman']I always end up losing 15 to 20 lbs in the month or so before a cruise.[/QUOTE]

This can't be healthy. Normally you want to lose a pound a week. About 6 years ago I did lose 25lb in two months (atkins diet) and that was dramatic enough.