Carry-on only for 7 day cruise?

My kids and I are sailing Freedom in August 2015. I want to do carry-ons only, I think it would just make everything that much easier. Do-able? We are over formal nights so there will be no formal clothes to bother with. And I NEVER wear or use everything we bring. I have no problem paying for laundry service for a few items during the week. If anyone else does/has done this, input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

You can do it, and you can wash your heavily worn items yourself. Especially if you have a balcony to dry them.

I personally couldn't do it, I bring everything I could possibly want to use to avoid pack regret later.

Define "carry-on"

Do you mean an airplane definition carry-on (small), or luggage which you can self-debark off the ship with? You can easily do self-debark with a large wheeled suitcase, assuming you can navigate stairs.

I did a b2b on Majesty a few years ago with just a small duffle bag...and the first 4nts of the cruise ate in the MDR every night...so yes...it can be done...just mix/match your clothes...no one is really going to notice you wearing the same black slacks to dinner each night if you wear a different top with them...

We do it every time (until today, since it's our first time cruising with the baby-allure today!). We have airline approved carry-ons and a backpack each. 3-1-1 liquids that fit in the qt size ziplock for tsa. No formal nights, or else it's be tough!

I wear the bulkiest stuff on the flight. Most of the packed stuff is small...a bunch of t-shirts, underwear, shorts, a few bathing suits, and some "smart casual" attire. My wife's stuff is even less bulky than mine. Smaller shorts, smaller tank tops, sundresses...smaller underwear!

We love the mobility of packing light, but everyone is different.

Killers: formal wear & shoes. And babies.

Yes, I'm talking airline-approved carry-on. I really, REALLY do not want to deal with lugging a suitcase around. And once I get to where I'm going, I just want to GO and not sit around waiting for luggage. Thanks for suggestions!

My kids and I are sailing Freedom in August 2015. I want to do carry-ons only, I think it would just make everything that much easier. Do-able? We are over formal nights so there will be no formal clothes to bother with. And I NEVER wear or use everything we bring. I have no problem paying for laundry service for a few items during the week. If anyone else does/has done this, input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

It is doable, even using airplane sized carry- ons and backpack for everyone. It is easier for women (if they are OK not bringing bulky formal wear); even without the formal wear, men's shoes are bulkier and their clothes can simply be bigger -- so there could be a little more challenge. But it is doable, for sure.

I did a 15 day TA with an airline carry on and small gym bag. I even had dress pants and 5 button shirts for the MDR. I just washed the shirts in the sink and hung them to dry in the shower.

I rolled the clothing and there was plenty of room. Doing 7 days would be a breeze

I usually do all carryon AND formal night! Pack for 3 days (including swimsuits, videos, daily workout gear and nice outfit for mdr dinner), utilize midweek laundry bag and re-wear everything. Shoes: wear sneakers, pack flip flops and flat dress sandals (for formal night)...

it's actually easier if you travel with young kids, their clothes are so small you can often cram in a few items of yours... plus with a larger party, you can share toiletries, etc.

Backpack or large purse takes all chargers, tablets, phones, cameras, vitamins, water bottle, books, travel docs, etc.

You can do it!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We have done carry-ons for a 7 night cruise a could of times with no problems. You have to wear some things more than once (i.e.. shorts, some tops) and try to pack things that will mix n'match with other stuff. We also had our "personal items(mine a very large purse where I stash my jewelry, meds and some toiletries. A 7 night cruise with a carry-on luggage is very doable if you are willing to be a little flexible, and do not feel like you have to look like you just stepped off the pages of Vogue !!!! Have a great cruise!:D

Edited by Rala
typo

For those of you who wash your clothes in the stateroom: how do you do this? Do you bring detergent from home or use the bar soap/gel from the shower? I've washed my undies in the stateroom sink using bar soap, but wouldn't have considered washing larger articles of clothing. Clearly I'm dependent on modern comforts (i.e. washing machine), so thanks for advice. :)

i am trying to achieve this on my next 7 night cruise. last time i waited till 5:30pm for my luggage i saw it on a huge cart from deck 5 sitting for 4 hours lol . and of course the risk of it not making it.

i carried off and that worked out well except i had to leave earlier than i wanted because they announced last call for carrying off at around 8:30am

For those of you who wash your clothes in the stateroom: how do you do this? Do you bring detergent from home or use the bar soap/gel from the shower? I've washed my undies in the stateroom sink using bar soap, but wouldn't have considered washing larger articles of clothing. Clearly I'm dependent on modern comforts (i.e. washing machine), so thanks for advice. :)

You have to start with clothing that will look ok after hand washing with no pressing after that it is easy. For soap I use a product called Campsuds. Campsuds is a concentrated soap and a 2oz bottle will go a long way. You can buy it at Amazon or most outdoor stores.

After washing I roll the items in a towel to get rid of excess moisture and hang them up to dry. I use a combination of clothespins with hooks and inflatable hangers. I like the clothespins with hooks so I can hang them from just about anywhere in the cabin. If you have clothing that dries quickly they will be dry by morning.

I have packed in one bag but went back to a checked bag because I found it too limiting. I am on vacation and the purpose is to enjoy myself and going in one bag just added more stress accounting for every inch of space. I also like to bring back a bottle of booze or hot sauces.

Shak

For 7 day cruises, we each get one airline-approved carry-on for clothes (and we do formal nights and also need workout clothes). We've never required laundry service to get through the week with what we've packed. It's important to plan outfits carefully to be able to mix and match and to avoid having to take multiple pairs of shoes which take up a lot of space. We share an additional carry-on for our toiletries, medication, reading material, etc.

I am a reformed massive overpacker. I find it's much less stressful to pack efficiently and to be able to carry on/carry off all of our luggage. Also, I am a bit of a neat freak, and it is much easier to have a place for everything and keep a clutter-free cabin when we don't take everything and the kitchen sink with us.

Absolutely doable! We travel with smaller roller bags & a tote bag for 7-14 days. Able to pack formal wear, workout clothes, etc. too. If hand washing is needed, I always bring some travel size packs of Tide that you can find in the travel sized god section of Target, Walgreens, CVS. Even my teenaged DD who has to have "choices" is able to manage. have to admit that she & I do share shoes so that makes it a bit easier. Best way to have all your things with you when you board & head to your room. No waiting for checked luggage at the airport or the ship. Good luck!

Also depends on the airline . Some would consider your carryon and backpack as 2 carryons.

I know both spirit and frontier say 1 personal item. On Spirit they consider a woman's purse her personnel item so they charge for carryon even if it fits under the seat.

Airlines are tightening up on the "carry on" plus a backpack and/or large purse - recently have seen people made to check one of them. There just is not enough room in overheads for all the stuff people are carrying on.

Also, wonder what people do with toiletries when they just do carry on - thinking particularly sunscreen - I always need and take a large bottle/tube/aerosal of sunscreen - how do you handle this?

I have learned to pack well - e.g. week in Europe followed by TA cruise - but I know I couldn't do just a carry on!

Love my packing cubes! Ebags dot com! The cubes allow me to compartmentalize and either use only 1 suitcase or only carry ons for our family of 4

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's very doable. Just got back from the O of S on a 7 day. On day 3 they have the stuff the bag laundry special deal for $30.00 . we did it and had everything nicely laundered and back on day 4. You can do it. I do suggest probably having a back pack as well in addition to your carry on.

Thanks everyone for your input! I actually usually buy most of the toiletries/sunscreen once I get to FL so less stuff to lug around til we get there. We usually come in a day or two before so plenty of time to do that. The most formal thing I'll be bringing is a nice sundress and a pair of cute sandals. I'm so over formal night. I do believe we can do this :D