Putting charges multiple staterooms on one account?

selma

Toying with the idea of inviting along some friends and family on (a part of) an upcoming cruise has left me wondering about onboard charges.

Is there any way to have charges of their stateroom put onto my account, so I not only get willingly stuck with footing the bill but also get the points for them towards my mariner level? Or will they still be attached the the specific individuals and their (basically all new) mariner accounts?

Yes

When you go to HAL's site and you know everyone's cabin number -- fill out the boarding passes right away and there is a place where you can indicate that you are want to pay for other passengers. Click on that and more information will open up which you complete.

Toying with the idea of inviting along some friends and family on (a part of) an upcoming cruise has left me wondering about onboard charges.

Is there any way to have charges of their stateroom put onto my account, so I not only get willingly stuck with footing the bill but also get the points for them towards my mariner level? Or will they still be attached the the specific individuals and their (basically all new) mariner accounts?

I'm sure that you can take care of their accounts by clicking an extra button or two during the online check-in process; I'm sure I've seen that. I believe, however, that they receive Cruise Day Credits for their onboard spending. Check in the FAQ on the HAL website.

Since you're being so generous, can I come along, too?!;)

Perfect and how easy that it can be done online beforehand!

AQ; no, sorry. Talk about us Dutchies being direct, right? ;-) It's something I'm trying to put together to basically create memories. So the "who" 's are very important and the financial...... oh well, it'll just have to fit around that. ;-)

All you need to do is give your credit card to cover whichever cabins for which you want to pay the bills.

The key card ID is used by each in your party and the charges will go to an account in their name/their cabin number which you will secure with your credit card.

It is common and done very often. No problem.

When you pre-register on line, you can arrange it then (which I would not do) or you can have them check 'cash' when they pre-register. When you all actually check in at the pier, give the representative your credit card and authorize the others to make charges that you will pay.

You will get Mariner day credits only for your personal spending.

Your guests will get the credit for the spending they do regardless you are paying the bill.

Isn't that the same as business travel where the company pays for the air ticket but the actual flyer gets the miles?

... but also get the points for them towards my mariner level? Or will they still be attached the the specific individuals and their (basically all new) mariner accounts?
The FAQs say:

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. Only the first two guests on the booking receive the limit of one bonus day for each day sailed; 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

I read that to say that only you and the "2nd person" get the spending bonus, but the amount is calculated as the total spending by everybody (on the same booking). If you wanted every person to get the spending bonus you would need persons/2 separate bookings, but then it would be a little harder to hit the $300/day limit.

Edited by jtl513

Perfect and how easy that it can be done online beforehand!

AQ; no, sorry. Talk about us Dutchies being direct, right? ;-) It's something I'm trying to put together to basically create memories. So the "who" 's are very important and the financial...... oh well, it'll just have to fit around that. ;-)

Ahh, well, it was worth a try!!:D

If you do go ahead and do this, it will definitely create lots of good memories. I arranged a family cruise to surprise my mother for her birthday a few years ago. It still brings tears to my eyes whenever I think of the surprise. It was a wee bit of work (like herding cats) but so worth it in the end.

I hope it works out, as well or better, for you and your group!

While you cannot get credit for *everything*, there are some ways to maximize your credit if you are paying. Pick up the bar tabs. Buy the wine. Make and pay for the specialty dining reservations for 4 or 6 or however many people you have. These all flow to your account. (It worked this way earlier this year.)

You can't get credit for their daily hotel service charges, mini bar purchases, or other things tied specifically to their rooms.

I'm not sure about spa treatments or excursions. However, if the excursion is something like a Half Moon Cay cabana rental, the dollars flow to the cabin making the reservation.

Remember that you will only be able to get credit for $300 times the length of your voyage. If you are on an 11 day cruise, the first $3,300 will earn you days. After that, your just earning generosity points and the admiration of those around you. :)

The FAQs say:

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. Only the first two guests on the booking receive the limit of one bonus day for each day sailed; 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

I read that to say that only you and the "2nd person" get the spending bonus, but the amount is calculated as the total spending by everybody (on the same booking). If you wanted every person to get the spending bonus you would need persons/2 separate bookings, but then it would be a little harder to hit the $300/day limit.

Hmmm, You could be right, of course, but I take that to mean the first two people on the booking for each cabin.

I don't think it would apply to a group of multiple cabins. The days are credited to the first two people in cabin A, the first two in cabin B etc

You can't get credit for their daily hotel service charges, mini bar purchases, or other things tied specifically to their rooms.

The way I read the FAQ sentence

This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill.

if all cabins are on one booking, then the first two people get the bonus for all spending including HSC etc.

In your case earlier this year, were all cabins on one booking?

Edited by jtl513

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said you certainly can do this during the check-in process but when you get onboard I would check with the front desk to make sure it is in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I read the FAQ sentence

This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill.

if all cabins are on one booking, then the first two people get the bonus for all spending including HSC etc.

In your case earlier this year, were all cabins on one booking?

In some cases, that would 'waste days' as you can only earn one bonus day for each sailed day. If the actual first two guests in each cabin get the bonus days, it is more likely they would not exceed the one day for one day sailed limit. If the person who is providing the credit card is to take all the days, (s)he is more likely to go over the limit and the excess would be credited to no one.

No?

If the person who is providing the credit card is to take all the days, (s)he is more likely to go over the limit and the excess would be credited to no one.

Yes, that's the way I'm reading it. Just like if two people in one cabin exceed the $300 x days, the excess is credited to no one.

What we don't know is if "Only the first two guests on the booking ..." means per cabin or per booking list of names.

Edited by jtl513

Hmmm, You could be right, of course, but I take that to mean the first two people on the booking for each cabin.

I don't think it would apply to a group of multiple cabins. The days are credited to the first two people in cabin A, the first two in cabin B etc

Thats how I read it too, but can see how it can be interpreted different ways.

If Im getting things correct it is of importance to make it one booking? Hmm that could be intersting! Ive been booked for a while already given the need for sn accessible stateroom. Second stateroom Im planning on bookung somewhere round just after pay in full date (plenty roims left, not picky and expect price drop aroynd that time). Third stateroom could be anywhere from "now" to last minute depending on job situation. Possible forth will book asap when getting a green light on that part. Guess I never do anything simple, sigh. ;-)

Expecting most of the expenses will be hotel charges, spa, perhaps odd excursion when splitting up (most will either be private or winging it due to my needs) and some onboard shopping or onboard tour. None are real drinkers, so 6 glasses of wine in total for a week will be much already. And with a comp specialty dining for all, not sure if we end up doing a second which would actually show up as charged.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I8190 met Tapatalk

I would question if you have the option at this point to make it all one booking.

You have already booked and made deposit on your cabin. I think it possible any more cabins you book will have to be called a different booking.

If Im getting things correct it is of importance to make it one booking? Hmm that could be intersting! Ive been booked for a while already given the need for sn accessible stateroom. Second stateroom Im planning on bookung somewhere round just after pay in full date (plenty roims left, not picky and expect price drop aroynd that time). Third stateroom could be anywhere from "now" to last minute depending on job situation. Possible forth will book asap when getting a green light on that part. Guess I never do anything simple, sigh. ;-)

Expecting most of the expenses will be hotel charges, spa, perhaps odd excursion when splitting up (most will either be private or winging it due to my needs) and some onboard shopping or onboard tour. None are real drinkers, so 6 glasses of wine in total for a week will be much already. And with a comp specialty dining for all, not sure if we end up doing a second which would actually show up as charged.

Not sure if this helps but we had 3 cabins 3 different booking numbers.

I went to the front desk had all charges put on my credit card. I received the spending bonus credit. And the first 2 passengers in each cabin got the daily credit.

Not sure if this helps but we had 3 cabins 3 different booking numbers.

I went to the front desk had all charges put on my credit card. I received the spending bonus credit. And the first 2 passengers in each cabin got the daily credit.

The spending bonus credit is tough to figure out. Sometimes it is right what I figure it should be, but other times I get an extra day. I think how HAL codes things makes a difference, but who really knows.

For exxample, I got two free massages from HAL (long story). Since they credited my account with $120 each (like an extra OBC) and then I paid for the massages on my cabin, it earned me almost another day. HAL is very fair on these things I have found.

Edited by DaveOKC

I would question if you have the option at this point to make it all one booking.

You have already booked and made deposit on your cabin. I think it possible any more cabins you book will have to be called a different booking.

I agree, and in that case selma should do as POA1 suggested and heap all possible charges on her own cabin.

And the first 2 passengers in each cabin got the daily credit.
Every passenger should have gotten the basic "actual days" credit, not just the first two.

HAL is very fair on these things I have found.
They do a very generous round-up. It seems to me like they give a day for any part of each $300, like $305 gets me 2 days, not 1. Edited by jtl513

I agree, and in that case selma should do as POA1 suggested and heap all possible charges on her own cabin.

Every passenger should have gotten the basic "actual days" credit, not just the first two.

What I meant is the first 2 passengers in each cabin got the double day credit for suites. I got the spending credit on all 3 cabins with different booking numbers.

Yes, but she can only get credit for one day for every $300 up to the total number of days of their cruise. For a seven day cruise, four cabins, if she heaps too much on her cabin, it will be wasted. She can only get actual 7 days and 7 days for $2,100 spending.

She mentioned excursions, a little wine, spa, her own hotel service charges etc She can get to $2,100 without all that much effort if four cabins.

Yes. You are correct.

Yes, but she can only get credit for one day for every $300 up to the total number of days of their cruise. For a seven day cruise, four cabins, if she heaps too much on her cabin, it will be wasted. She can only get actual 7 days and 7 days for $2,100 spending.

She mentioned excursions, a little wine, spa, her own hotel service charges etc She can get to $2,100 without all that much effort if four cabins.

]

Exactly. You have to watch what you are spending. Once you hit your days X $300, you might as well let your guests get the credit.

You may be able to pay for 6 or 8 of each shore excursion and have it charged to your room. You may be able to try that with the online booking tool and see if it requires cabins and names or just number of people.

Edited by POA1

We have tried to keep our kids hotel charges on our bills, as we've paid for their tickets. ( Drinks, etc. were on them.). However, HALs system had a lot of problems processing this, and we finally gave up, handed them a check, and asked them to deal with it. We had double hotel fees added to everyone, total strangers in nearby cabins charged to us, and nothing done..... Not worth it.

It does annoy me that we paid for 14 people for 7 nights while getting credit for 2 people, but life is too short to deal with bureaucracy!

Barbara M. In NH