Gotta Love SWA.......

VernRDH

Just love this thread and SWA! We always fly Southwest. Just wish they flew to London!

Heads up for all you SW fans. Their VISA card is a great way to earn extra flight credits and flight coupons. They even send you the confirmation in the mail when you earn a flight along with some drink coupons. When we fly, we always fly SW when possible.

To those who work for SW Air, kudos - you work for a company that hires the best and treats their passengers with kindness and professionalism! What more could anyone want? :D I gave up on American and Delta ages ago!

All of Southwest's planes are 737's which is why they make a profit because thier maintenance and training costs and are lower. A 737 will not make it to London from the U.S. without landing in the ocean and that wouldn't be a good thing. :eek:

All of Southwest's planes are 737's which is why they make a profit because thier maintenance and training costs and are lower. A 737 will not make it to London from the U.S. without landing in the ocean and that wouldn't be a good thing. :eek:

Actually, 737s can go pretty far, especially with blended winglets. Some 737s departing from Boston can go as far as Paris! (according to the Boeing website)

I guess the aviation geek in me is showing through again. :D

Regardless, I love those new 737-700s. :D

Actually, 737s can go pretty far, especially with blended winglets. Some 737s departing from Boston can go as far as Paris! (according to the Boeing website)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOkay, Dan, PLEASE............what are BLENDED WINGLETS?!?!?!?!??!?

Boeing's website shows a 737-800 goes 3383 miles. (The 737-900 goes less miles) Expedia says it is 3594 miles from Boston to Heathrow. There may be some 737's that can go the distance but it will be close. I'm sure those stats don't include extra miles for delays taking off and landing burning fuel. And what if the plane is held up for weather or air traffic landing? I'm not confident this plane would be the best to fly overseas. Maybe some 737 airline pilot can comment...

I wish southwest flew overseas too, they are just the best airline, no fuss, no waiting, the plane comes in, people get off, you board and leave, its so quick, plus I get tons of frequent fliers from them. I got the southwest card, put all my business expenses on it, every $1250 is point and you only need 16 points for a ticket, I usually get at least 2 a year this way which covers my airfare on these cruises. Last year, from oct - dec they offered double points so you got 2 points for every $1250 you spent, we were going with a group of 17 on the mariner, we charged everyones cruise on my card, which took care of almost 3 airline tickets there, plus during that 3 month period, everyone used my card for everything and just gave me the cash, we ended up with 8 tickets which was a big help with 17 people. Plus is you ever have a problem, just call, they will go out of their way to fix it for you, NO CHARGE, not like that $100 crap just to change your flight to a different time on the same day with other airlines.

We came back from one of our cruises, got to the airport really early, and they put us on an earlier flight so we got home early and didnt have to pay. Like I said, they are the best.

I recently signed up for what appears to be a ripoff Seamiles & wondered if you could tell me if the SWA card charges an annual fee?

I've only flown SWA a couple of times & don't know if I was lucky or if all their flight attendants are such a hoot:p. Made for a very pleasant flight.

Boeing's website shows a 737-800 goes 3383 miles. (The 737-900 goes less miles) Expedia says it is 3594 miles from Boston to Heathrow. There may be some 737's that can go the distance but it will be close. I'm sure those stats don't include extra miles for delays taking off and landing burning fuel. And what if the plane is held up for weather or air traffic landing? I'm not confident this plane would be the best to fly overseas. Maybe some 737 airline pilot can comment...

Very true - it all depends on the type of 737, winglets, etc. (The winglets really make a difference. They can also go on 757s, and Continental (I think) is planning to or is already flying them to Norway from Newark!)

I got my info from http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/technical.html

I'm also not sure how far the new 737-900ER will fly.

Now the range calculation, as far as I know, does include some of the varialbles you mentioned.

For all of you SWA lovers, do you watch Airline on A&E TV channel? That show is my guilty pleasure. The cameras follows 3 or 4 SWA passengers that are having problems with their flight (missed connections, missed flight, can't get it together to get on board, etc.) The SWA employees are professional, competent, and very kind. The passengers are interesting, to say the least.

We fly Southwest for our last cruise (GREAT AIRLINE). The other airlines could take a few lessons from SW employees on customer service. The crew of our flight was the best. They welcomed us on board and entertained us at the same time. My 2 teens that had never flown, were made to feel at ease on their first flight, by their crews fun and entertainment. And the final thing that makes flying SW "THE BEST", they were wayyyyy cheaper than any other airline.

Ony dray back------ they need to post their flights sooner. I need tickets for Feb.. I am patiently waiting. Well maybe not patiently!!!!!but I am waiting

For those of you out there that know more about Southwest than I do, does anyone have any idea when they will open up ticket sales for over the Christmas holidays??? My family is going on a Christmas cruise out of FLL and we really like and want to fly SW but they only have their reservations open through Dec 12. I am keep track of other airlines Christmas tickets and watching them all be gobbled up and am strating to worry abit about waiting. :( Any advice or encouragement out there? :confused:

I need to get to FLL!!!!!!:eek:

I am anxiously awaiting for SWA to open up for Feb 2006 during mid-winter break. I keep checking every day but nothing. Jet Blue wants $350 for this trip. SWA always has great rates & I would hate to book someone else now & they come out with a rate at 1/2 the price.:mad:

Dyanna

for flight to LAX from MCI.

A question: We are eligible for the senior rates, $129.00 one way. I have booked this rate many times, however, I always had to call and reserve rather than use their web site. (per instructions on web site).

Then, today while on the SW site, I saw that seniors can now register their proof of age and are able to book on the web site, and also print out their boarding pass.

In the past, we could not print out our boarding pass, but had to wait in line at the counter. We usually ended up with a "B" or "C". We did get an e-ticket via our e mail, but no boarding pass. (one aspect of SW I do not like is the standing in the A B C lines!)

Has this proof of age requirement been recently implimented or did I miss something?

Hopefully, I have this issue under control.

You can't beat SW service and great pricing.

Grace

• 2 weeks later...
I've only flown SWA a couple of times & don't know if I was lucky or if all their flight attendants are such a hoot:p. Made for a very pleasant flight.

They haven't been as funny lately. A few years ago, when I was back in college, I took a flight up to Oakland. The safety spiel the flight attendant gave had the entire plane rolling with laughter. Both the beginning one and the landing one. I wish I tape recorded it. Unfortunately, the only line I remember was at the end when she said, "And be careful when opening up the overhead compartments because as we all know, shift happens." :p

They used to always crack jokes and stuff. These past few years, I haven't heard one crack a joke yet. They're still extremely professional and pleasant though.

They haven't been as funny lately. A few years ago, when I was back in college, I took a flight up to Oakland. The safety spiel the flight attendant gave had the entire plane rolling with laughter. Both the beginning one and the landing one. I wish I tape recorded it. Unfortunately, the only line I remember was at the end when she said, "And be careful when opening up the overhead compartments because as we all know, shift happens." :p

They used to always crack jokes and stuff. These past few years, I haven't heard one crack a joke yet. They're still extremely professional and pleasant though.

We flew SW in January and they were a hoot. Maybe we just got the right crew. One thing I can remember is when they talked about the air masks coming down, they said "place the gucci strap over your head and if yours doesn't work..............Take your neighbors"

I love SW and can't wait for Feb date to open up.

• 2 weeks later...

We are impressed in that the whole flight crew, stand at the front of the plane upon landing and personally thank us for flying with them. I always thank them for getting us there safely and shake their hands.

The pilots usually give a very nice speech with words to the effect that they realize we have many choices of airlines to fly and they want to personally thank us for choosing SW.

I had a recent flight from Buffalo to Midway where the 3 flight attendents sang to us. Corny, yeh, but what the heck, better than surly, misrable attendents who should have retired years ago.

Recently my son booked a SW as a stand by when his US Airways flight was cancelled (no prior notification, of course) and he was told, "if you find another flight before ours leaves, just come back and we'll credit your charge card for this flight"! Info offered without any prior question from him about refunds. He waited standby as he was told how many people had checked in as they did so and knew whether he had a chance for this flight. Gate attendent was fab and he did take the flight after all. Buffalo to Phoenix, non stop. This is our choice when we visit him.

Gotta love SW. They appreciate their customers and show it! And love the "Airline" show mentioned in a previous post! Check it out...good for laughs.

Ruthie

Archived