Make booking "free to upgrade"... or not

Sandy R

Going to Mexican Riviera mid-Dec. Booked a mid-aft Dolphin mini with a meta upgrade only. Yesterday was upgraded to a mid-ship Dolphin mini. Would love to be upgraded again to a midship Penthouse Suite or an aft Vista suite. Would hate, hate hate an upgraded to a window suite! Called Princess and they said they have no control over what suite I might get if I make my booking "free to upgrade". Lots of CC members say Princess won't upgrade to a window suite if you have a mini with a balcony. I will probably check with Princess again today. BTW, there are lots of Penthouse, Vista and forward suites available for this cruise. Thank you for your help.

Hi Sandy,

No need to worry, you won't be upgraded to a window suite.

Since you already have a mini (Balcony) they don't take that balcony away.

I have heard people that have outside cabins will be lucky and receive the window suite.

Edited by san diego sue

We are worried about this, we have booked a obstructed balcony on the Regal, however we do not have a lifeboat in front of the balcony. We will only see it as we look to our left and clear to our right.

Princess told us with a 'Meta upgrade' we may get a Deluxe balcony obstructed. These all have life boats in front :( so feel although the cabin would be slightly bigger the fact that we look out at a life boat it's not an upgrade to me.

Princess say these upgrades are done by the system and are not reversible, however I have read loads of people say they called to say they wanted the original cabin back..

Any advise please

OP, I'm a bit puzzled by this. You say you booked a mid-aft mini suite with a meta upgrade only, then were upgraded to a mid-ship mini suite. I would have thought this was just an 'ordinary' upgrade.

My understanding of a meta upgrade is that it is to the next cabin type, not category within the same type. In other words, I would have thought that a meta upgrade from a mini suite (any mini) could only be to a full suite.

Have I got this wrong?

OP, I'm a bit puzzled by this. You say you booked a mid-aft mini suite with a meta upgrade only, then were upgraded to a mid-ship mini suite. I would have thought this was just an 'ordinary' upgrade.

My understanding of a meta upgrade is that it is to the next cabin type, not category within the same type. In other words, I would have thought that a meta upgrade from a mini suite (any mini) could only be to a full suite.

Have I got this wrong?

You're right. The OP didn't receive a "meta" upgrade at all but just a standard upgrade. Same cabin, slightly different location, maybe one or two categories. One of my least-favorite locations on the ship but that's based on personal preference. I would much rather have a mini towards the aft and if possible, on Emerald deck. But that's me. Others like the mid-ship location. It's possible but unlikely they'd be upgraded to a window suite. Once you leave the "will accept an upgrade" on (which is the default for all bookings), Princess can put you anywhere it wants as long as it's not a lower category. Edited by Pam in CA

Hi again. Looks like I didn't have a "meta" upgrade, only "free to upgrade". I'm happy with the mid-ship mini. We like the Dolphin mini's, book them all the time. Talked again to a Princess rep a few minutes ago. Seems the Crown doesn't have window suites. The Crown has 2 forward suites on Deck 15, which have narrow balconies, with sliding doors which must be locked when the ship is sailing. That just doesn't do it for me. I'll keep my booking with "no upgrade". Thanks all.

Okay, I am confused, a state that I am used to. I booked on line, but I don't see anywhere on my personalizer where I can mark no upgrades, or meta upgrade only. Am I missing something, or is this only on the phone? Thanks

Edited by rocker57

Okay, I am confused, a state that I am used to. I booked on line, but I don't see anywhere on my personalizer where I can mark no upgrades, or meta upload only. Am I missing something, or is this only on the phone? Thanks

You will need to call your TA (or Princess if not using a TA) to get it changed from the default "will accept any upgrade."

Okay, I am confused, a state that I am used to. I booked on line, but I don't see anywhere on my personalizer where I can mark no upgrades, or meta upgrade only. Am I missing something, or is this only on the phone? Thanks

you're not confused (this time ;) ), it doesn't show on-line anywhere for us to see.

Edited by cdngrl

I am new to princess, how would u know if u got the upgrade? Will they calll or email u? Or do check with your booking?

Thx

Princess should notify you if you booked direct, if not your TA should. But that does not always happen.

Its best to also keep checking yourself. ;)

I booked direct through Princess for the Crown in September in a Emerald Mini. I marked it META upgrade only. A few days later I got an email stating upgrade notice. For a minute I got excited thinking I was upgraded to a full suite. I had been upgraded to a mid-aft mini. Not an upgrade to me since I can't do sun and need the fully covered balcony. I called right away and got my room back and again stressed META upgrade only.

It is only available during the booking process if you book online direct with Princess. It asks you if you would accept an upgrade of wish no upgrade. After that you must contact your TA or Princess directly to have the booking noted accordingly.